• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Music, "New" Artiste

Jovi Rockwell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20Dslk7m2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVPm6CJ4_ko
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Jovi is a gangster...she orchestrated the kidnapping of that bredda in Norbrook...her childhood friend...nearly got him killed...

Comment

"New Artist"?

I’m not sure why you describe Jovi Rockwell as a “new artist”. By the way, in addition to her singing and songwriting, she is also a decent bass player.

Comment

yeah she been around for a while
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          By the way, in addition to her singing and songwriting, she is also a decent bass player.

This I didn't know. "New" because she hasn't "bussed" as yet.
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

hence the parentheticals? hmmm maybe "recycled" then?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The New Breed of Jamaican Female Artists

I made a comment several days ago, and I’m going to repeat it here, albeit in a different way.

Over the past two decades or so a “new” type of female Jamaican recording artist has entered the reggae/ dancehall arena. Whereas once the typical female singer in these genres fitted easily into the “downtown” (black, “rootsy”, not obviously wealthy stereotyped class), the last twenty years of so have seen a more obviously sophisticated, “uptown-type” breed of women recording reggae and reggae-fusion hits.

These “new” female singers have shed the old conventional picture of the submissive, humble woman and replaced this with a liberal, “in-your-face” persona. This, of course, parallels the growth and achievements being made by women in education and in the once male-dominated corporate and also blue collar world.

So, in recent times we have seen, emerging seemingly from nowhere, a new breed of sophisticated, “uptown” (that is, cliched, brown-skinned, middle class) Jamaican recording artists like Kris Kelly, Brick & Lace, Jovi Rockwell, Danielle, Alaine Laughton, etc.

In addition, the dark complexioned singers of the post 1960s and 1970s era, artists like Cherine Anderson, Diana King, Etana, etc., have shed the roots look of, say, a Sister Nancy or a Sister Charmaine for a decidedly more sophisticated persona. (Well, in the case of Etana only to some extent, as she makes an effort at adopting a roots look.)

Of course, this is not surprising as societies, attitudes, approaches, etc. are a part of the natural evolution of mankind. (Now, if only those overwhelmingly male policy and decision-making hardliners in ultra conservative places like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Pakistan would realize this.)

Last edited by Historian; January 10, 2014, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X