RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unemployed Black Woman Pretends to be White, Job Offers ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that is a practical approach. How about the black community working to put more and more qualified young black people out there until they cannot be ignored?

The above says it all. Keith Wyche in his book "Good is not enough" (a very easy read; read it in two days) said as an exec. he could not hire many black junior exec because they came unprepared, they just showed up with a degree and expect everything else to fall into place (no plan of executing the position etc) whilst the white counterparts came well prepared (well mentored and groomed I supposed) hence he is forced to hire them over blacks. He is the one I got the "turf war" notion from also.

Not saying what happened to the lady is untrue but I know of many blacks getting a footing with big firms on wall st. (if you are a hard science maj. sell off) via leadership programs. It's mixed bag and one hast to be careful when passing judgement these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      I don't understand. You agree that black people should give their children biblical names to get ahead?

Let us say a Caribbean black person has an Anglicised name which helps them get past the resume phase with the racist recruiter.

Then comes the phone call....do they twang and suppress their accent to get past the second phase?

Then comes the face-to-face interview.....what now?

I don't think that is a practical approach. How about the black community working to put more and more qualified young black people out there until they cannot be ignored?

I don't think racist recruiters are too excited about employing people named Krishna and Singh either but guess what, if the whole a the engineer dem have those names there really is not much choice.
      The idea is to get to the face to face interview, its your only chance to get the employer to look beyond race. If you are job hunting you use the standard telephone company greeting for your voice mail. Let them leave a message or an e-mail (be careful what you chose as your e-mail address.)

It's not just employment. It is also used at some universities. I know professors who don't know their students but deliberately reduced the grades of people with names who they don't like. One matter ended up in court and the grade went from almost fail to distinction.
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Some say her name is Ursula Undress Her Dr. No character's name is "Honey Rider"... The best Bond girl name though IMO is " P ussy Galore" played in Goldfinger by Honor Blackman (figure that one out, the old joke of "honor and offer" comes to mind OR, seeing she was with Sean Connery her name could have been Honor Whiteman?? LOL)

Sorry for deviating from the thread topic BTW.
        Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          If his (her?) last name was Hybrid. Of course!
          mi spleen!!!
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

I'm not that naive.

So, how do we defeat this...practice, this discrimination? By naming our kids John and Mary? Hortical and Mosiah not cutting it, huh?

So, we change our names. We still have to show up at the interview. What do you do then?

And when we start talking, are we going to have to pinch our noises too, you know, to sound nasal like Tessanne?

And we are going to have to lie about our addresses too, huh? Not too many whites live on E. 53rd Street in Brooklyn.

Is this all part of your solution?
            It's all a part of self-hatred and being caught in Babylon's twisted Matrix

Imagine African descendants regard the name "Kevin" as acceptable but "Kunta" as horrible

The negative cognitive conditioning of Africans by Babylon is wonder to behold

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Ursula is a black name?
              mi belly!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                Speaking of Jews. Did you know that at one point jews could not get work on wall st. (even though educated)? This was true also for Italians.

It is a fact that many Jews changed their last names to Brown etc (a more wasp like tone) to get ahead. Do the research; even huge investment houses.
                Good point King Jawge!!

The Jews also solved this problem by creating their own economy...by owning businesses including real-estate. They have cornered the precious metal industry, health care, Law... the list goes on and on...

"We"? 'we' ongle cuss, fight and kill wan-an-nadda...... (This forum is a good case study).

Not the easiest thing to own a successful business. But the lady in the original piece have the skills to do a published research. She should also see business ownership as a possible solution to her plight.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

That's part of the solution - lawsuits, sting operations, etc.

Yes, getting to the interview is one thing but the fight is not nearly over.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That's easier said than done. If there is massive discrimination in a major company, then a class action lawsuit would be the right tract. Try suing a company on your own, and you will be white listed from that industry and never find work and you would need to change your career.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

That is true, the difference of course is that European Jews could hide behind a name in a way that non-whites never can.

However in the long run it will always come back to economic strength. There are still many anti-Semites in the world, but when it comes to how much they can make life difficult for Jews today , that has become very limited.

Marcus preached these things what, one hundred plus years ago? Maybe one day we will get it.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Perhaps. But the self-hate ting and self-denial sumpten deh...mi not into it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

As long as we hold that mentality we will not get ahead. There is still a lot of bias but I think in general more hiring managers are inclined to give the "black" name a chance as opposed to 10 years ago.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You are forgiven...when we having a drink?

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                              I agree 100%. People have to know how to beat the racist system. A jewish name from the bible is the best first name especially a disciple. Unfortunately not much can be done about one's surname but Jamaicans have white slave master name so we have an advantage.
                              Time: The post is a blast (You know how we blacks...errr! Jamaicans...often laugh at ourselves).

An advantage with our white slave masters' names?
                              Indeed! (iffen a laff, a dead! )
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X