X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Jamaica afford to grow?

Contributed By Dennis Chung
    Friday, May 11, 2007

At the start of the 2006/7 fiscal year I had indicated that we would not meet the fiscal revenue projections, and that we would fall short by 5 to 10 per cent, with the expectation of a natural disaster.

We ended up short about 5 per cent with no natural disaster. I also indicated during the fiscal year that at best we would be on target with expenditures, which we once again exceeded. I also thought that the fiscal deficit would come out at around 4 per cent, and not the 2.5 per cent projected. We ended up at 5.4 per cent, with J$14 billion of expenditure being put in 2007/8.

These estimations were based primarily on the fact that I did not believe that Jamaica had the capacity to grow at 3 to 4 per cent, and we ended up at around 2.8 per cent. Again, while 3 per cent for 2007/8 is probable, it is not likely, especially if we have a major natural disaster. I say this because I still do not think that we have the capacity to grow at that rate, and also the following factors will be a negative:

. The slowdown in the US economy will negatively affect us, and more importantly the problem in the housing market, although possibly subsiding, will affect discretionary income, which tourism depends on and 75 per cent of our tourists come from North America;

. Growth in the Latin American region is expected to be lower in the coming year;

. Our tourism sector has seen a slowdown over last year, and I expect that this may continue for a while;

. The cement company indicated that they expected softer cement sales in the last quarter, and this is an indication of a slowdown in construction; and

. Agriculture will not see as phenomenal growth as last year, as we are not recovering from any natural disasters.
    With all these factors, it does not seem likely that we will achieve a 3 per cent growth rate.

I see this also in the context of the promises by both political parties that they will find money to finance free health care, education and more money for the police to fight crime. The accusations are that the money cannot be found and that these are mere promises which cannot be sustained. When I hear these comments the first thing I think to myself is, are we thinking logically and this is exactly the reason why we are constantly in this predicament.

It would have made sense to apply that reasoning to the money spent on Cricket World Cup. We do not question expenditure for two months of entertainment but seek to question the proposals by the prime minister and Opposition leader to spend money on health, education, and crime. It seems logical to me that the latter would have a far greater value than cricket.

The logic I apply to this is as follows:

1. If we are to grow at acceptable international rates then we need to have a productive workforce and an adequate social and physical infrastructure;

2. If we are to have a productive workforce and proper infrastructure then we need to have (a) an educated population; (b) a healthy population; and (c) a low crime rate;

3. If we are to achieve these things then we will need to put money into them given the fact that the majority of our people cannot afford it individually;

4. If we do not put money into these sectors then we will not lay the foundation to ensure we are internationally competitive and grow at acceptable rates;

5. If we do not grow at acceptable rates and become competitive then we will sink further into debt and poverty. We may even qualify for debt relief under the IMF's debt relief programme for countries in dire straits, if that is our objective;

6. Therefore, logic dictates that the only option for us is to invest adequate resources in health, education, and fighting to move the country forward; and

7. It follows logically then that we must find the resources to do these necessary things, and it may mean reallocating funds or radically reforming the public sector for efficiency. We have tried the route of taxation over the years and it has now reached a point where any further taxation becomes unproductive.

So, based on my reasoning, it is now a matter of how and when the money to finance these areas can be made available, and the longer we wait, while discussing it to death, the worse it becomes. A recent report by the World Bank states that crime costs us 3.7 per cent of GDP. This of course is only the logic of a simple accountant, who could be wrong, but if there is another way, someone please show me.

Customer service deficiencies

Another thing I would like to look at is the level of customer service in this country. Is it that the Jamaican consumers have "exploit me" written all over their foreheads?
    Or is it that there is something seriously wrong with our education process and corporate culture?

It seems as if everywhere I go there is a problem with customer service, and in many instances the regulators do a poor job in protecting consumer rights. Maybe because they are more concerned with the licensing and other fees they receive than the role they are set up for. I think the fees should go to government and then the government finances the regulators to avoid any conflict, but then again if it goes to government the regulators may not be financed effectively.

Apart from the issues I always write about, I had another problem with a large bank in Jamaica. I have a credit card with them that expired a few months ago. They sent me a new card but I did not activate it, and therefore do not have the use of it.

As far as I am concerned, the contract with the previous card ended and the only way for another contract to come into play is if I sign accepting the card or activate the new one. I did neither. But they sent me a statement with the annual fee for the new card, even though I have not activated it, signed for it, or called them to ask them to send it.

Well, my position is that I will not be paying the fee, will not be activating the card, and I would love to see if they are going to charge me penalty and interest on the annual fee, which another bank has done with me already, even though they were the ones that sent me a card I had not asked for. Each time I receive the statement I throw it in the garbage, so I guess the balance is very significant now, as it has been going on for almost two years. But I did not ask for a card to be sent to me.

I am sure that this practice is happening to anyone who is part of a mailing list the banks have access to, and the regulators may be aware of this. But is anything being done about it? I wonder about the poor consumer who is intimidated by this tactic and ends up paying the money because of a fear of not being on their receivables listing. Personally, I will not succumb to any financial institution that tries to hold me up and take away my money because they have failed to properly manage their balance sheets and are now prey to falling interest rates.
    Last edited by Karl; May 11, 2007, 09:36 PM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Re: Can Jamaica afford to grow?

Good one, sah!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Wow! Lazie and Maudib, is not just me one fool!

"These estimations were based primarily on the fact that I did not believe that Jamaica had the capacity to grow at 3 to 4 per cent..."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Wow! Lazie and Maudib, is not just me one fool!

"These estimations were based primarily on the fact that I did not believe that Jamaica had the capacity to grow at 3 to 4 per cent..."
        Mosiah... raise the level nuh !

Did Chung make a MEDIUM TERM ANALYSIS ?

It is very easy to say Jamaica cannot produce >5% growth next year since WE CURRENTLY DO NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY. it is an entirely different thing to say we cannot produce >5% in 4-6 years time

1. What did he define as CAPACITY ?
        2. Do any of the JLP proposals seek to address elements of that CAPACITY ?

You believe the JLP is just going to wave a magic wand and wallah.. 6% Growth 4 years later ?

I have read the JLP proposals and they fall directly in line with developing the CAPACITY required to produce 6% growth.
        The question you must ask is can the JLP DELIVER on the elements of the proposal. If you had written a cogent response backing up your statement you would have been forced to analyze at this level.. let me know when you catch up and are ready for a serious analysis of the elements required to generate >5% growth in Jamaica...

Comment

sigh

I thought Lazie would be the one to predictably fall for this trap, but alas!

I'm going to give you a chance to reconsider your answer, Maudib. Afterall, you go good school!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

sigh

I'm going to give you a chance to reconsider your answer, Maudib. Afterall, you go good school!
            Its comical the way you all love give unuhselves credit. Trap? Laughable.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

sigh

Trap ?

Do you realize that all now yuh nuh offer one explanation of why it is impossible for Jamaica to acheive >5% in the medium term.. all now..

Yuh not serious.. stay deh talk bout trap.. unnuh need to stap trying to be profound..

Lee Kwan Yew did not try to get profound taking Singapore from Third World to First.. he left that to people like Michael Manley.. Sistah 'P' is the latest Doctor of Profundity..

Comment

Did you read this part:

"The logic I apply to this is as follows:

1. If we are to grow at acceptable international rates then we need to have a productive workforce and an adequate social and physical infrastructure;

2. If we are to have a productive workforce and proper infrastructure then we need to have (a) an educated population; (b) a healthy population; and (c) a low crime rate;

3. If we are to achieve these things then we will need to put money into them given the fact that the majority of our people cannot afford it individually;

4. If we do not put money into these sectors then we will not lay the foundation to ensure we are internationally competitive and grow at acceptable rates;

5. If we do not grow at acceptable rates and become competitive then we will sink further into debt and poverty. We may even qualify for debt relief under the IMF's debt relief programme for countries in dire straits, if that is our objective;

6. Therefore, logic dictates that the only option for us is to invest adequate resources in health, education, and fighting to move the country forward; and

7. It follows logically then that we must find the resources to do these necessary things, and it may mean reallocating funds or radically reforming the public sector for efficiency. We have tried the route of taxation over the years and it has now reached a point where any further taxation becomes unproductive.

So, based on my reasoning, it is now a matter of how and when the money to finance these areas can be made available, and the longer we wait, while discussing it to death, the worse it becomes. A recent report by the World Bank states that crime costs us 3.7 per cent of GDP. This of course is only the logic of a simple accountant, who could be wrong, but if there is another way, someone please show me."

Tell me, how long before we accomplish point 1?

What about point 2? Do you think that we can have an educated work force and low crime rate in the short term or in 4-6 years? Remember 72% don't have a single subject!

Act like yuh go good school. Don't just repeat it!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

This is laughable. From April 18th you've been hopping and skipping in an attempt not to provide your thesis as to why we cannot grow 5% in the medium term. Now this? Comical.

Regarding the educated labour force, obviously yuh not paying attention when Mr. Bangarang talk. Didn't I post an excerpt of his speech in a response to YOU where he addressed what you're asking about now? If yuh want links to the speech mek mi know. Or yuh rather play hopscotch?

Dennis Chung didn't say it was impossible, he is pointing out what needs to be in place. If yuh want the Gas Station speech, just ask.

Comment

Did you read this part:

"The logic I apply to this is as follows:

So, based on my reasoning, it is now a matter of how and when the money to finance these areas can be made available, and the longer we wait, while discussing it to death, the worse it becomes. A recent report by the World Bank states that crime costs us 3.7 per cent of GDP. This of course is only the logic of a simple accountant, who could be wrong, but if there is another way, someone please show me."

Tell me, how long before we accomplish point 1?

What about point 2? Do you think that we can have an educated work force and low crime rate in the short term or in 4-6 years? Remember 72% don't have a single subject!

Act like yuh go good school. Don't just repeat it!
                    I don't think we have much of an argument here.

You are simply saying it is impossible to effect change in Jamaica such that in 4-6 years time we will be able to produce a growth rate of > 5%.

I am saying it is not impossible, it has only been made to appear that way by seriously incompetent, corrupt, irresponsible leadership.

Jamaica's situation is not unique in the world.. Jamaica is not an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, what you just don't realize is just how effing pathetic the PNP Administation has been in executing on BASIC principles of growth strategy.

Please do not drag all of us into that cesspool..

How long did it take Seaga to produce 5% growth after the DISASTER of the 70's.. you probably would have laughed us to scorn if we talked about 5% after the negative growth and 25% decline in productivity..

Remind me, when Omar and KD Night were talking about First World in 10 years.. where you laughing loudly and proclaiming impossiblities... somehow I missed that.

HAITI HAD 2.5% Growth !!! Wrap your mind around that.

Comment

Please! Why do you and Lazie want it to appear like I am at the wicket for the PNP? No one laughed more loudly when they talked about first world status and all sorts of crap! Remember, is me did vote Rasta!

Don't mix me up with apologists - Karl, Gloudon et al.

I keep it real! Lazie only says it, while we all know he is Karl's equivalent on the other side.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Please! Why do you and Lazie want it to appear like I am at the wicket for the PNP? No one laughed more loudly when they talked about first world status and all sorts of crap! Remember, is me did vote Rasta!

Don't mix me up with apologists - Karl, Gloudon et al.

I keep it real! Lazie only says it, while (comical) we all know he is Karl's equivalent on the other side.
                        Mosiah, Lazie back broad. It nuh matter what unuh want to claim. Review yuh current affairs posts since Shaw's presentation. At least Karl did the smart thing and gwaan like him never see it. I've voted JLP and PNP. How many of you around here can say they've done the same. Voting Rasta nuh count. Sorry! That like sitting on the fence. I deal with issues ... not party. The reality is the JLP is addressing the issues. Suh call me what unuh want. Lazie simply tek it wid a smile.

Comment

Mosiah the reason 5% growth maybe easy.
                          to achieve this in ja you don't have to target the whole population.
                          You don't even have to target the bright kids.
                          Coffee is one of the highest price commodity on the world market and Blue Mountain Coffee is no where near max.

We have a huge under employed class and that can be targeted, the only problem is Karl a go say only some people grow .

Jamaica needs to train more people in tourism and cruise ship employment and target community development.

Communities need to put proposals togather and try and get private funding.

Again if Haiti can grow by 2.5% and Domincan Republic by 10% in a year there is no reason we can't if the right policies are in place.

Can Bruce Golding and the JLP put the right policies in place? I don't know but the way Omar is doing it, it will NEVER happen.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Can Bruce Golding and the JLP put the right policies in place? I don't know but the way Omar is doing it, it will NEVER happen.

Its as simple as that Sass. Wha suh hard inna dis fi undastan? Omar been focking up for 14 years yet man quick fi dismiss the other side cause dem wear green? Wha mek we suh fool fool?

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                              Mosiah the reason 5% growth maybe easy.
                              to achieve this in ja you don't have to target the whole population.
                              You don't even have to target the bright kids.
                              Coffee is one of the highest price commodity on the world market and Blue Mountain Coffee is no where near max.

We have a huge under employed class and that can be targeted, the only problem is Karl a go say only some people grow .

Jamaica needs to train more people in tourism and cruise ship employment and target community development.

Communities need to put proposals togather and try and get private funding.

Again if Haiti can grow by 2.5% and Domincan Republic by 10% in a year there is no reason we can't if the right policies are in place.

Did Seaga wave a magic wand and wallah ! 5% Growth ?

Mi nuh unnastan dis skepticism regarding the JLP when it comes to growth.. I mean if their history when in power indicated otherwise.. then I could understand.. but mi cyaan find that data... Karl, Jawge.. help mi out !

Comment

Working...
                              X