RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Baby Bruce take a Dump on One Turd as Number 2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Baby Bruce take a Dump on One Turd as Number 2?

Jah si an' know D1...yuh good

EDITORIAL -JLP needs a finance thinker

Published: Sunday | January 5, 2014

It is time that Andrew Holness moves on from Audley Shaw and appoint a proper shadow finance minister.

For by now it should be obvious to the Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) leader that the interim arrangement he adopted in the aftermath of his re-election has not worked well. Critique of national economic policy demands more than his own talents appear capable of delivering.

But more important, two years into its new stint in opposition and three before a general election is due, it is important for the JLP to set about formulating credible alternative policies and casting itself as government in-waiting.

We are reinforced in this view by the Opposition leader's less than rigorous, patently narrow, and belated response to the Simpson Miller administration's revised letter of intent for its ongoing programme with the International Monetary Fund (IMF). He focused almost exclusively on the Government's signal that it was considering applying the general consumption tax (GCT) to petroleum products as part of its tax reform programme.

Mr Holness has moonlighted in the finance spokesman's job while waiting on Mr Shaw to make up his mind about a place in the Shadow Cabinet, having failed in his challenge two months ago for the JLP's top post.

Understandably, Mr Holness was circumspect in his approach to Mr Shaw, who, after all, received 53 per cent of the votes of JLP delegates. Moreover, Mr Shaw was the finance minister for the JLP's four years in government. He was touted for achieving relative exchange rate stability and a lowering of interest rates.

But there is much in Audley Shaw's stewardship that has been glossed over, not least of which was the dilly-dallying at the onset of the global financial melt-down of 2008, followed by the early collapse of a standby agreement with the IMF not long after it came into force in 2010.

No tax reform under Shaw

Indeed, that JLP administration, of which Mr Holness was a member and led briefly towards its end, failed to implement agreed tax reform and the fiscal austerity that it had agreed to. By the time a new agreement with the Fund was reached in early 2013, our debt was 150 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP); multilateral agencies had cut off financing and private capital markets were all but closed to Jamaica. The Jamaican currency, by some estimates, was overvalued by as much as 20 per cent.

It is against this backdrop that austerity is inevitable. The technical vestige of the effort is the requirement that the Government maintain a primary surplus of 7.5 per cent of GDP.

But even with a tax package of nearly J$16 billion at the start of the current fiscal year, the Government's revenue is running around J$9 billion, or five per cent behind projection. The administration has, however, maintained tight fiscal discipline and has been implementing market reforms, including initiatives that will sharply lower the rate of corporate income tax and make firms more competitive.

Mr Holness is right, the Government's fiscal policies are contractionary, which would be exacerbated by adding GCT to petroleum products.

He wants a government strategy for growth, by which, we suppose, he means something different from the broad reform of the economy, but which he did not identify. The situation requires clear thinking by the JLP. As he demonstrated with his recent Senate appointments, Mr Holness can find the talent.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
    But there is much in Audley Shaw's stewardship that has been glossed over, not least of which was the dilly-dallying at the onset of the global financial melt-down of 2008, followed by the early collapse of a standby agreement with the IMF not long after it came into force in 2010.

No tax reform under Shaw

Indeed, that JLP administration, of which Mr Holness was a member and led briefly towards its end, failed to implement agreed tax reform and the fiscal austerity that it had agreed to. By the time a new agreement with the Fund was reached in early 2013, our debt was 150 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP); multilateral agencies had cut off financing and private capital markets were all but closed to Jamaica. The Jamaican currency, by some estimates, was overvalued by as much as 20 per cent.

It is against this backdrop that austerity is inevitable.
    Really?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The fact is Audley didly but the PNP had one year which the also dilly saying they wanted the best deal and that they weren't going into any borrowing deal with the IMF. This was when the dollar started running.

Just check when the timeline of the slide.
      What happen to IMF deal in 2 weeks? The debt climb mostly because of the devaluation.

Now even with IMF deal the dollar still going.

"To be fair"
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sass your analysis is not scientific and you're not understanding the policy framework Jamaica operates in at the moment... Dis is how tings werk:

The IMF run tings... The IMF WANTS devaluation... that's their standard prescription for an economy with BOP disequilibrium, outsized debt/GDP ratio, uncompetitive export sector and low to negative growth...

Since the IMF wants it ...There's a devaluation... Period

The only possible policy choices Jamaica would have at the moment are:

a. further MASSIVE borrowing to defend the currency (this just increases debt/GDP ratio and enables deferring the required structural adjustment into the future.. ala One Turd)

or

b. compress demand by a combination of devaluation and tax increases to try to achieve fiscal equilibrium

The IMF has determined that Jamaica's priority must be to reduce the debt to GDP ratio from 140% to 90% in 4 years and the current account deficit must be reduced closer to international benchmark of ~6%-7% from 10%

So no more reckless borrowing will be allowed and fiscal/financial reforms must be instituted... or Jamaica will be removed from the IMF program and be completely in the financial shithole

Baby Bruce, to his credit, called this IMF prescription correctly as "Bittah Medicine"... get used to it

It aint rocket science Sass

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

you just seeing some things. How you never see it since 2009?????

The fact is the government of Jamaica is not powerless in all of that. They have to make up plans which is approved by the IMF. They can also stand their grounds on something if they have a good plan as shown as they came up with a tax package and it didn't work and they went back to the IMF with another for this year. The IMF didn't come up with either tax plan or the IMF didn't come up with taking NHT money along with others. etc. Hense "the better IMF deal"

The IMF provide a framework as any bank and the government tell them how they are going to achieve it and end up achieving it or not. We are not bound to the IMF but rather to a government.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

=Assasin;461385]you just seeing some things. How you never see it since 2009?????
            What is this supposed to mean????????????????

The fact is the government of Jamaica is not powerless in all of that. They have to make up plans which is approved by the IMF. They can also stand their grounds on something if they have a good plan as shown as they came up with a tax package and it didn't work and they went back to the IMF with another for this year. The IMF didn't come up with either tax plan or the IMF didn't come up with taking NHT money along with others. etc. Hense "the better IMF deal"
            The IMF sets the targets and in many cases REQUIRES the GOJ to follow certain policies.

Mii naw guess ar spell ... mi get dat stait fram IMF employee working on Jamaica

The IMF provide a framework as any bank and the government tell them how they are going to achieve it and end up achieving it or not. We are not bound to the IMF but rather to a government.
            I hope my explanation of the policy framework Jamaica operates under was helpful

Comment

Did the IMF instruct government to raid NHT? No but the IMF tell them over 4 years how much they have to pay back so intern the government use some of the NHT money. Simple.

The government don't tell which tax but the government of the day tell the IMF what they are going to tax to get the money to pay the IMF and if it is still short they cut their budget and capital spending to make it up as we are doing now.

It is obvious as day but we will use everything to excuse away every policy that is currently been made. You were very critical of selling Air Jamaica and other financial moves that were made under the previous admin as you have a right to, but now you give all the credit to the IMF.

Comment

I said the exact same thing when One Turd was at the helm, that he was simply following IMF dictates. What was your response then?

Also, you either don't remember or are just straight up lying to state that Peter Phillips took a year to decide whether to engage the IMF or not. That is just not true!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I didn't not say he took a year to decide. He took a year and odd to sign the agreement while dilly dallying as you put it. Is that a lie??? The timeline is there to prove it.

"I said the exact same thing when One Turd was at the helm, that he was simply following IMF dictates. What was your response then?"

Show me that. You were very critical of Shaw. Is this the same Audley "One third" Shaw you talking about???? You forget you episode on him taxing Sanitary stuff and taxes???

Also you had a lot to say about devaluation and revaluation then.LOL
                  Last edited by Assasin; January 6, 2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Well, how soon did you want him to sign it?! Negotiations with the IMF started immediately! So what if it took a year to sign it?! That is a lot different from not realizing you going to need it for a year or more, as in the case of One Turd! And after the mess Turdie left behind...wi lucky dem even doing business with us at all!

I'm not going to research anything, Sass. I remember making that statement because some of you were bigging up Turdie about what a fine job he was doing. So, in an effort to not make him look that good, my calling in life, I made that statement, that Turdie was not setting any policy on his own but was merely taking instructions from the IMF.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Some of unnu? He did some good but as I said not better than C+. Omar is the culprit. Finance was left in a big mess. Nobody paying tax, all we had was loans at 15 and 20%, forward selling of bauxite, bloated civil servant and no export after 14 years and no economy growth. Not to mention FINSAC

Imagine where we wold be with Air Jamaica, and all the lost making entity Omar left us with. Shaw did some good and some of the framework was in place. Peter told us we would have an agreement by March, then Summer then Fall then Christmas and before that he said we wouldn't have one. That within itself leads to uncertainty after your leader say it takes two weeks to get a deal. No two way about it.
                      Last edited by Assasin; January 6, 2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

=Assasin;461388]Did the IMF instruct government to raid NHT? No but the IMF tell them over 4 years how much they have to pay back so intern the government use some of the NHT money. Simple.
                        LOL... mi naw talk bout NHT yute... mi ah inform yuh seh IMF sets targets and in some cases directs the GOJ on what to follow.

What about that don't you understand?

The government don't tell which tax but the government of the day tell the IMF what they are going to tax to get the money to pay the IMF and if it is still short they cut their budget and capital spending to make it up as we are doing now.
                        This is a little confusing but I think I get your general point

It is obvious as day but we will use everything to excuse away every policy that is currently been made. You were very critical of selling Air Jamaica and other financial moves that were made under the previous admin as you have a right to, but now you give all the credit to the IMF.
                        I'm not excusing any policy or giving any credit to anyone... I've made no value judgment on whether or not this or that policy is correct. I merely explain the policy options and correct the fallacies being bandied about regarding the policy universe Jamaica is constrained by

Funny I don't recall being "very critical" of many of the JLP govt's "financial moves" other than the Air Jamaica giveaway. Please elucidate

You must be confusing things with the Dudus/Manatt/Tivarli/Bruised Gelding corruption scandal.. yep mi did all ova dat
                        Last edited by Don1; January 6, 2014, 02:17 PM.

Comment

But ah wha dis Faada...Turdie??....

woooiiiieee mi duodenum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                            Funny I don't recall being "very critical" of many of the JLP govt's "financial moves" other than the Air Jamaica giveaway. Please elucidate

You must be confusing things with the Dudus/Manatt/Tivarli/Bruised Gelding corruption scandal
                            Thank yuh!

Yes, I made fun of the fact that One Turd had the distinction of leveling the most taxes on the Jamaican people. He still has that distinction despite efforts by Clovis to rewrite history.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

That's what his close friends call him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X