• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nyabinghi Chants from Men's Choir St. Johann of Basel

Men's Choir St. Johann of Basel - Switzerland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdaLb...ature=youtu.be

Willi wah yuh seh?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

I am confused. Is this is a Swiss choir doing a reggae...a rastafari chant?!?

Why can't we embrace our culture the way others are embracing it??!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Because wi shame, yuh nuh see a pure ganja smoking Rasta pickney inna dem ting deh ?

Man nuh waaan people tink seh wi mad and lazy !lock dem up a fine dem a 1000 pounds.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Aaah bwoy!

I wonder what the views of some of us were about Bob back in the day. Wi big him up now, but mi sure wi neva big him up then!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mi use to save mi bus fare, bum ride and buy Bob pon de weekend...still have original LP, 45 a mi yaad....

Comment

Muted applause. Audience seems to be saying, what's with the Nyabinghi chant and nutten nah pass pon di left hand side?!?

Incredible still. Picture the Kingston College Chapel Choir singers doing this!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I wonder if people know that Mystic Revelation of Rastafari is alive and well and still tour until today. Big up Bredda Sam Claylon and bredda Royo and them man deh who with Count Ossie made outa East come alive back in the day with the rasta chanting. Had the pleasure of working with Bredda Sam for a year and meeting many of the brethren and sisthren and growing up with a "Lapree" a X Mystic man who had his drums and give us a few knock back inna mi youthman days and tell us about his journey.

I can bet this is coming directly from Mystic Revelation of Rastafari influence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBvrO38frmw
              Last edited by Assasin; December 28, 2013, 01:22 AM.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

See it deh. Now dem can dress up an go listen to Nyabinghi chant inna concert hall cause dem master ah chant dung Fyah now.Ah nuh likkle tribulation natty go through.

When Ja done dem bawl fi money an walk an beg. "In the abundance of water fools thirst".

The whole world is Africa and all her children will come home just as little bo peep wid har sheep.

Rasta is the most powerful force in Ja and waaaay ahead of its time.

Comment

Straight from yaaad:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne2Ju9K5ZyE

Comment

I asked you before , i will ask again are you for criminalising Rastas who posses weed in Jamaica, where do you stand on our ganja laws.

Please no dandy shandy.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

You have never asked me this question but I will answer.

I have come to have respect for the Rastafarian religion because whilst in college back in the days, someone close to founders revealed its mysteries to me (every religion is a mystery system btw). Now if Rasta a cultivate weed and smoke it peacefully fi do him religious rites, celebrate some festival, Nyabinghi and other carnivals or associations. I see no problem. When Rasta start mass cultivate weed for commerce and trade (in Babylon system) which goes against the tenets of Rastafarian-ism then Rasta have to deal with Babylon/ Caesar's laws of trade and commerce. Rasta is on his/her own deh so.

Now if Rasta have him herb as mi say juss fi do him own ting then low him.

Comment

Dandy Shandy start again ,its a straight forward question sah,should the dread be criminalized for possession of ganja,be it to grow or sell it ?

Let me help you .

(4) The National Council on Drug Abuse (NCDA)
                        The Chairman of the NCDA presented to the Commission the position of the Council on the decriminalisation of ganja.
                        Premised on its mission to reduce the supply and demand of illicit substances and the abuse of licit ones, the Council works
                        with other agencies in implementing prevention projects.
                        The Council notes the important derivatives of ganja being marketed for medical use, but is aware of its acute effects, which
                        have implications for learning and motor skills, and the possible negative effects of chronic use on production in both the
                        private and public sectors. It is aware as well of the psychosis produced by excessive use and of marijuana-modified
                        psychiatric states, which worsen certain psychiatric illnesses.
                        Notwithstanding all this, and in light of the worse effects produced by other substances that are legally available, the
                        Council "support[s] the decriminalization of ganja, such as to allow the possession of small, specified quantities, by adults
                        for use within private premises," with a number of measures aimed at primary prevention, protection of the general public,
                        and rehabilitation of habituated users.
                        Decriminalisation would have to take into account Jamaica's obligations to the treaties and conventions it has signed and
                        ratified, but the Council "is aware that many countries are considering the modification of their laws in respect to Ganja."
                        What led the Council to adopt such a position? "I can tell you," replied the Chairman of the Council. "One-the way it
                        became a criminal act was totally unacceptable in this day and age. It should not have been there in the first place.
                        Two-when we examined the other substances now which are available and legal, we see that the damage that those things
                        cause are much more potent than the evidence we have for ganja…. When you think of alcohol, the organ damage which
                        results from alcohol you would be appalled-cancer of the throat, cancer of the stomach, cirrhosis of the liver, cancer of the
                        liver, testicular atrophy, brain damage, pancreatitis, heart disease-can I stop there? Okay, let's talk about tobacco-lung
                        cancer, throat cancer, cancers, emphysema, heart disease, hypertension. Those substances are legal and available. So, …12/26/13 Report of theNational Commission onGanja

www.cannabis-med.org/science/Jamaica.htm
                        29/63

even though it has psychological influence, to use a splif should not be a criminal act."
                        The Council's position is the result of seminars and workshops, which included scientific and legal presentations.
                        (5) Medical Association of Jamaica
                        The President of the Medical Association of Jamaica spoke on behalf of the Association. The Association is of the view that
                        the present laws of criminalising people for small amounts "is probably having a worse effect than if it had been legalised,"
                        though the Association is not recommending legalisation. Possession of small amounts for personal use, within the confines
                        of the home and not in public places, as long as this does not impinge on the rights of others to be at peace with themselves,
                        could be decriminalised."
                        (6) The Chief Medical Officer
                        The Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr Peter Figueroa, spoke to the Commission in his own individual capacity as an
                        epidemiologist. He began by reminding the Commission of the widespread cultural significance of ganja, substantiated by a
                        1993 lifestyle survey which found an "ever smoked" incidence of 37% among men of ages 15 to 49, and 10% among women
                        of similar age. Forty percent of these men and 22% of these women were what he would define as heavy users, that is they
                        smoked three or more times weekly. Listing some of the side-effects to both short-term and long-term use, he drew the
                        conclusion that "the use of ganja is adverse to good health and needs to be discouraged," but proposed that a different
                        approach ought to be adopted to those substances that are culturally endemic from those that are newly introduced into
                        society. "I am of the view," he said, "that criminalising ganja use when the use is personal and private does not make any
                        sense." It does not, because, if the objective is to reduce use, experience (certainly with cigarette smoking) shows that
                        prevention is more effective than treatment and rehabilitation. "[F]or me decriminalisation is simply a platform in order to
                        better control and prevent the use of ganja. My own view is that to try any kind of educational programme in a climate of
                        criminalisation, you are not going to get anywhere, given the endemic use and the strongly-held confirmed views."
                        But even in a decriminalised context, education, though necessary, will not be enough to make prevention successful.
                        Again, drawing from his wide experience with tobacco use, the Chief Medical Officer said: "There are studies to show that
                        where educational programmes are put in place with young people-serious programmes, starting from young age right
                        through school, if you don't have the other measures in place, what happens is [that] the cigarettes are promoted." Other
                        measures include limiting access through taxation and banning use in certain spaces, and serious health warnings with every
                        purchase. In the case of ganja these must include measures that provide an environment supportive of the education, such
                        as banning its use in public. "Decriminalisation," he emphasised, "is a platform for a strategic reduction of ganja use in the
                        society, not for freeing up a lifestyle." 12/26/13 Report of theNationa
                        (7) Political Leaders
                        The Commission presents the views of two leaders in representative politics, one a medical practitioner and member of the
                        Jamaica Labour Party (JLP), the other a practicing attorney and member of the People's National Party (PNP).
                        According to Dr Horace Chang, from a professional point of view "I don't see the risk involved in the use of ganja justifies it
                        being made an illegal drug." He reminded the Commission that from as early as the 1970s a youth organisation he had
                        established within the JLP called for decriminalisation. This position was taken to Parliament by Dr Percy Broderick, and
                        resulted in the setting up of a Joint Select Committee of the House and Senate. Nothing came of it, however, so "we have
                        kind of come full circle twenty-three years later".
                        The medical problem with ganja, as far as he saw, was ganja psychosis, which affected no more than 0.5% of users. Most
                        legal drugs had side effects, anyhow, often more serious and far-reaching than ganja. It was better, he felt, to educate
                        around the risks than to ban wholesale a substance that was quite clearly cultural.
                        He raised what he saw as a far greater problem, that of cocaine, and shared with us his opinion that for the amount of
                        cocaine seemingly passing through Jamaica, the number of persons addicted ought to have been greater. That it was not he
                        attributed to ganja.
                        "Culturally the strongest opponents [of cocaine] I find at the street level and in our poorer socio-economic group are people
                        who actually use ganja. I find [they] just take a position that the `white lady' will ensnare them". In other words, the culture
                        around ganja functions as a buffer against the spread of cocaine.
                        According to Mr Ronald Thwaites, ganja use by the young people in the constituency he represents in the city of Kingston,
                        "is very much an antidote to boredom, a sense of uselessness and an inability to, by other means of occupation and
                        recreation, actualise [their] best dreams."
                        He cites the example of some young men taken from his communities, the type who would have been smoking ganja, many
                        of them with criminal records, put through the National Youth Service programme of personal discipline and social
                        reconstruction, and who were so completely rehabilitated, that they were able to move into positions of assistant sports
                        masters in primary schools. Thus, once gainfully employed they have little need ganja.
                        For him, the prosecution of ganja, especially with respect to small quantities, and the way the interdiction is carried out, only
                        serves to bring the law into disrepute. "One thing that the law must never do is fly in the face of the mores of a people for an
                        extended period of time, where despite consistent interdiction, education and a standard being maintained by the law, it is
                        still consistently at odds with their dominant social pattern".
                        Of far greater concern is crack/cocaine. "If I", said Mr Thwaites, "were ever to resile from being an abolitionist [as far as12/26/13 Report of theNational Commission onGanja

31/63

capital punishment is concerned], it would not be so much for murder as for the purveyors of the hard drugs, and cocaine
                        especially. Those who spread cocaine in this community and crack, are not only murderers, they are mass murderers. And it
                        is a reproach to the system of Government and the canons of law-abiding behaviour that we spend our time and our money
                        voted for national security running after small quantities of ganja when I can identify for you-and I have identified for the
                        police and the Ministry of National Security, at least four crack houses in this constituency, and nothing has been done!"
                        This double standard, he was sure, was not lost on the people. It set "their teeth on edge against the law, against the whole
                        tissue of social authority."
                        He concluded that, though not personally in favour of the use of ganja, it ought no longer to be proscribed by criminal law
                        (8) Law Enforcement Officers
                        Also not to be ignored are the views of law enforcement officers. We first interviewed a retired Assistant Commissioner of
                        Police, and a Sergeant of Police.
                        (i) The retired Assistant Commissioner of Police, with forty active years in the JCF at all levels, interacting with the general
                        public, observing the changes in beliefs over the period, and being party to the enforcement efforts before, during and after
                        the period of mandatory sentencing, comes to the position that the possession of cannabis below a certain weight should not
                        be a crime. That it has remained for so long on our statutes as a crime, which, aside from the sentence one serves, remains

on one's record
                        "is one of the most destructive aspects", one that has "a most deleterious effect on our young people".
                        In support of decriminalisation for private purposes, he is of the opinion that the relations between police and citizen, in
                        particular the poor, was flawed by our failure at Independence to inculcate within the Force "a deep respect for the
                        individual and the individual's home, however humble". The power to enter and search a home is a power that normally
                        should not be granted easily in legislation to the law enforcers.
                        "To be frank", according to a Sergeant of Police of a very large station, "for the small amount I think it costs the
                        Government more to bring a person to court, than it costs the person. Because the paper that you write it on maybe costs
                        more."
                        The officer expressed the view that ganja smoking does not of itself contribute to crime.

What does is the prohibition that
                        drives cultivation and trafficking underground. "Whatever contribution to crime is like a person plants [and] somebody
                        comes in to steal it. That is where the crime comes in. But to say that because somebody use it they go out there and steal, I
                        don't think that is a fact".

(9) His Grace the Most Reverend Roman Catholic Archbishop of Kingston
                        12/26/13 Report of theNational Commission onGanja

32/63

His Grace, the Archbishop, presented to the Commission the view that ganja use ought not to be criminal. He based this
                        conclusion on three principles. The first was the theological approach that in creating the world and everything in it, God
                        created them good and created them for the use of mankind. Second, God invested in mankind stewardship and dominion
                        over all things. This required mankind to investigate, with a view to understanding, the qualities and capabilities of the
                        various plants and herbs, including even noxious ones. And third, in the exercise of dominion, mankind was also expected to
                        exercise responsibility. "We always teach people, `Everything in moderation'. Anything that we do in excess, or abuse, is
                        going to have ill-effects upon us."
                        Based on these principles, His Grace confirmed that the decriminalisation of ganja for private use would have the blessing
                        of the Roman Catholic Church. He emphasised that the views he expressed were personally shared by his fellow Bishops in
                        Jamaica.
                        Moderation being one of the principles on which their position stood, His Grace saw no necessity to regulate quantities, and
                        would therefore support the conscientious use by certain people for religious purposes. "My thing is to respect a person's
                        conscience and anything done in moderation, not abused. And if they see that it is something than can assist them in their
                        prayer life and in approaching the divine, and [if] they genuinely and sincerely believe that God has provided it for them to
                        assist them in that, then I can't say to that `It is immoral'. And I can say to the Government to decriminalise it, unless the
                        Government can say it is going to be abused in [the] act of worship."
                        (10) His Lordship, the Anglican Bishop of Jamaica
                        "[To] be consistent with Christian morality," the Lord Bishop said, "the fact that you are against something does not mean
                        that it should be a criminal offence. I can think of maybe a thousand things that I would classify as one, and they are not
                        criminal offences. In saying that, I would have no problem in decriminalising limited private use by adults of marijuana,
                        without compromising my position that it is not something that [one] would consider to be good or healthy or right." Sharing
                        with the Commission views from a paper he had written on the subject in 1977 at the request of the Bishop at that time,
                        which he remains in substantial agreement with, he distinguishes the recreational from the medicinal and religious uses of
                        ganja. He supports the decriminalisation for private medicinal and religious use, but has reservations about recreational
                        use, because, although ganja is not addictive, it exposes young people to other more dangerous substances. But, agreeing
                        that in practical terms, it would be difficult to decriminalise for private and religious but not for recreational use, he declares
                        it unjust for any law to target, as this one does, the young, vulnerable and poor. "If the intention is to protect the morality of
                        these young people, then you certainly cannot protect it by sending them to prison where they will mix with hardened
                        criminals and come out as criminals, whereas they were not before and needn't have been." Morality cannot be legislated,
                        he says. Ways need to be found, he concludes, to reduce demand through alternative activities "that people could find more12/26/13 Report of theNational Commission onGanja

33/63

wholesome" in achieving the same objectives.
                        (11) Lord Anthony Gifford
                        Lord Gifford in an early appearance before the Commission spoke to a written brief he presented in support of the
                        decriminalisation of ganja, but arguing as well for its complete legalisation. Cautioning that he was not himself a user of
                        ganja,
                        but that his approach was that of a human rights advocate, Lord Gifford made the following points.
                        In the first place, "if there is a substance which is derived from something naturally grown which gives a lot of pleasure to
                        some, it should not in principle be bad just because it may be abused by others." From a spiritual point of view, it is better to
                        encourage people to use responsibly what God has given. Secondly, educating people, especially young adults, is more
                        effectively done on the basis that something is permitted but that they should exercise caution with it. Thirdly, the
                        prosecution of so many unfortunate defendants, most of them for smoking splifs, is nothing short of a violation of their
                        human rights.
                        Drawing attention to the conundrum that would ensue were possession and use to be decriminalised but production and
                        trafficking not, he urged the Commission "to grasp the nettle" and recommend that it be legalised. Only thus would ganja be
                        extracted from the criminal fraternity, and a regime laid down to allow it to be grown, bought and sold, subject to basic
                        controls.
                        He found The Netherlands solution, where ganja is decriminalised for use in specially designated cafes, but still illegal, as
                        "a kind of half-way compromise", which nonetheless, by separating ganja from hard drugs, has had the partial effect of
                        reducing the use of the latter.
                        Lord Gifford drew the attention of the Commission to a recent judgment handed down by the Canadian court, which found
                        the sanction against self-administered use of marijuana for medical conditions a violation of the right to liberty. In his
                        opinion the Jamaica's ganja laws are in violation of human rights.

Comment

Working...
                        X