X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lee Kuan Yew of Africa

Rwanda is well positioned to be the Singapore of Africa
    By AbuBakr Ogle

LAND LOCKED, tiny in area and regarded as more densely populated than any other country in sub-Saharan Africa, Rwanda has at the same time achieved what a leading British development expert; Paul Collier fittingly calls “the hat-trick” of rapid growth, sharp poverty reduction and reduced inequality, within a comparatively short period of time.

For a country that still harks back to the genocide of 1994, when close to a million people were murdered in the spate of 100 days of sustained mayhem while the world watched, this is no mean achievement.

Even then, I and my colleagues in the East African Legislative Assembly currently conducting our routine rotational Plenary Session in Kigali, continue to marvel at the breathtaking panoramic view of the city, and more specifically, at the cleanliness of every facet of the environment obtaining herein.

Indeed, so much so is the ambiance and orderly life of the city that many of our membership have confided that the Kigali sojourn was a deserved three weeks break from the comparatively unprecedented hazy skies, pollution and traffic snarl-ups that now define a working day in Nairobi, Dar and Kampala.

I will bet that our regional MPs would grudgingly have wished that the sessions ran a little longer, with a tongue-in-cheek suggestion to transfer the planned sittings in other partner states to Kigali, as they rejoice in the morning and evening jogs past carefully cut grass lawns amidst the sweet scent from the fresh flowers, alongside hundreds of locals.

Fulle Story: http://www.newtimes.co.rw/news/index...=15337&a=66259
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Oh my God, what happened to Singapore might happen to Rwanda!

Good thing Jamaica dodged that bullet! Now we are sitting proudly at the bottom of CARICOMS wealth list.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I was last in Singapore 40 years to this date, it was way ahead of Jamaica then, and now, mi done talk.

Comment

Above all, Rwanda’s relatively corrupt-free and transparent management of public affairs is perhaps the single largest tempting reason after its environmental management policies that should beckon both investors and tourists in equal measure.
        Oh well! Let's not even think of following in their footsteps any time soon!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X