• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is long time it start...

Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But Who Is To Be Blamed?

Napoleon died almost two hundred years ago, but in the meantime, several Haitian black leaders have worked overtime to carry on his (Napoleon’s) dream! Haitians like Francois Duvalier, Jean Claude Duvalier, the Tontons Macoutes, as well as international political dissension and military coups have all served to ensure the legacy of Napoleon’s dream, at least in the case of Haiti.

Yes, Dessalines declared independence in 1804. Since then, economy-sapping reparations to France, constant interventions by outside forces, etc. have served to keep Haiti in the desperate state it’s in. Nevertheless, external roadblocks aside, we cannot fully absolve the actions of Haitians themselves as a major factor in their failed state plight!

We see a very similar crap – minus the military coup – being carried on in Jamaica for several decades now!

Comment

Do you think policies towards Haiti have contributed to the problem?

It's never this simplistic.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Oh Yes, External Policies Have

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Do you think policies towards Haiti have contributed to the problem?

It's never this simplistic.
          Most definitely the on-off policies of several powerful nations (not only France) towards Haiti over the past two centuries have been a huge factor in that island’s extended impoverishment. I touched on this in the second paragraph of my original post.

Also, regional characters like the Dominican Republic’s repressive dictator Trujillo didn’t help matters one bit.

But we cannot ignore the dictatorship aspirants that have been hallmarks of the Haitian leaders I mentioned, and which was so often seen in other parts of Latin America during the twentieth century. In other words, Haiti’s repressive despots of the past were a massive part of the problem!

Yes, it’s complex, but some Haitian leaders can in no way, shape or form be absolved from the destruction of their society and economy!

Comment

More importantly it cannot be used as an excuse to be mired in poverty and chaos for the rest of human history!

We are seeing some of those same Latin American nations that were handicapped with ruthless military dictatorships starting to get themselves together and move forward. Panama had a narco-terrorist named Noriega calling the shots just a few decades ago!
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

they cannot be absolved and while i do not seek to make any apologies for them, there is no doubt in my mind that the external forces caused the rampant oppression and tiefin from the national coffers .... and created that kind of social psyche to the point where even a roman catholic priest (a man who tek a vow of celibacy and poverty) could not help himself .... he is now married and rich!

when baby doc was overthrown, my very good haitian bredren looked perturbed. i asked him why, he said that the duvaliers had alread stolen so much that they did not have to steal so much anymore but a new dictator is going to start stealing from scratch ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                More importantly it cannot be used as an excuse to be mired in poverty and chaos for the rest of human history!

We are seeing some of those same Latin American nations that were handicapped with ruthless military dictatorships starting to get themselves together and move forward. Panama had a narco-terrorist named Noriega calling the shots just a few decades ago!
                But do you realise that Panama's Noriega did not prevent the economy from being relatively strong back then?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You Are Right

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  they cannot be absolved and while i do not seek to make any apologies for them, there is no doubt in my mind that the external forces caused the rampant oppression and tiefin from the national coffers .... and created that kind of social psyche to the point where even a roman catholic priest (a man who tek a vow of celibacy and poverty) could not help himself .... he is now married and rich!

when baby doc was overthrown, my very good haitian bredren looked perturbed. i asked him why, he said that the duvaliers had alread stolen so much that they did not have to steal so much anymore but a new dictator is going to start stealing from scratch ....
                  Good post. I entirely agree with you here, boss.

Comment

and i still have a lot to learn, imagine when mi learn dat "lot"??!! ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Maybe so, but it was nowhere near the trajectory it is on today though.

History must not be forgotten but.........
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

there is that little thing of having a canal ....., like the some of those in portmore only somewhat somewhat bigger..

Comment

Big thing!

However give them credit, they took it over, ran it well, ensured that Panamanians at all levels benefit from it, and much more.

None of that was inevitable!

Comment

chue chue

Comment

call name nuh, merica nuh bargo it from nineteen how long fi stop from progress. Still yet Hailtains love merica to di death, mi tell yuh how wi love pale, ah doan know wah wrong wid wi at all. An to add insult to injury dem intervene an destabilize fi suit dem owna cause. An den walk roun inna di worl like dem a saint.

Comment

Working...
                              X