Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Harsh Realities of Yard (Part I)

Taken from: The Sunday Observer, December 22, 2013
    (Story Link: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...thels_15664844 )

Sex slaves - Prostitute wants Gov't to probe brothels
    Several under-aged girls being exploited, sex worker claims

BY DONNA HUSSEY-WHYTE Sunday Observer staff reporter husseyd@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, December 22, 2013

A sex worker who has admitted to working in more than 12 sex shops in Kingston, Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril, has described conditions in many of the establishments as "worse than slavery", with girls as young as age 14 working, often without pay.

The sex worker, who gave her name only as 'Diamond', wants the police to investigate the operations of the shops and the treatment of the girls.

"At one place you have to work 24 hours, and if they catch you sleeping is $3,000 draw from yuh pay. If a man walk in and yuh say yuh don't want to 'catch' that man because yuh don't feel like doing business with him, is a $3,000 charge," Diamond told the Jamaica Observer.

"But different from the $3,000, if that man was going to pay for an hour, you get that hour charge. So if the man picks you and you refuse, you have to pay for that hour. And the hour is for $7,000. So that $7,000 comes from your week money that yuh work already. At the end of the day, don't bother think yuh have any pay leave, because they try find everything to charge yuh for and draw out of it," Diamond said in an interview with the Sunday Observer recently.

"It come in like prison — I don't even know. If yuh eat a lunch and yuh leave the empty box on a counter, is a $1,500 charge. If yuh give a man yuh number and they find out, is a $3,000 charge. And on top of that, yuh have 14 girls and four beds. Sometimes it is five to a bed, sometimes four, depending on if the girls can get along."

Continuing the list of charges levied on the girls by the sex shop owners, Diamond said: "If yuh go on the road, even to buy food and five o'clock catch yuh, that is a $3,000 charge. You have to come back by five o'clock, because you have office girls there, yuh know. They leave from there go to work and come back after they leave their office work and they still charge them if they come in late. Everything is a charge. If yuh shout, is a $1,500 charge. Many of us use the room and if yuh tear the condom paper and it drop in the room, even if yuh don't know is who, just take it up because if yuh don't take it up is a $3,000 charge. They just going to charge everybody who share that room $3,000," she stated.

Diamond said that some of the owners will give each girl one condom for each customer, and if that one condom gets damaged before the session is over, she is left at her own risk.

"Yuh see if something is not done fast, AIDS going to spread in these places. And some wife going to be home and some man carry some serious disease go give them. The way the girls pretty in those centres, let me tell you, I have been at a centre and a man come and give me $20,000 to have sex with me without condom. Another time a man gave me $30,000 to have sex with him without condom. But what I do is take the 30 grand, tell him I was going to use the bathroom and put in my female condom. So I would advise the girls to always have female condom and know what yuh doing. So that is why I feel that the Government should really have a set of people who go into these places and really check it out and make sure that the girls have ID, and they do their test (for sexual infections) and so. Some places, I don't think they do testing, and some of the girls will even have sex with each other," she said.

According to Diamond, the girls are forced to do things that they do not want to do, like have anal and oral sex, and if they refuse, they are again charged.
    "At the end of the day, yuh not going home with any money," she said, even as she admitted that the girls make money from performing
    oral sex.

"Everybody who work there have to do it. All of us. This is how we make money so we can eat food in the mornings, 'cause they don't give us food. And remember, is every two weeks we get pay. So when we do [it] the men will pay us $2,000, $2,500 or $3,000 and they pay us directly. The boss don't see this money," she said.

Continue reading: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...thels_15664844

Sad, but this is...don't want to hijack the thread. Not so soon.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Wretched of the Earth?

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      Sad, but this is...don't want to hijack the thread. Not so soon.
      I really would love to hear ALL feedback on this sordid situation. Suppose a daughter or close female relative of ours had been entrapped in this hell, would we have remained cool and aloof?

It is one thing for crap like this to happen in large countries of many millions of people (I won’t single out any country). However, why is a tiny island of less than three million inhabitants messed up in so many ways and so absolutely ungovernable?

Thank goodness we have a few functioning human rights organizations (Jamaicans for Justice, The Independent Jamaica Council for Human Rights, and several others) and it is for reasons like this that these organizations SHOULD be strongly supported. Yes, even JFLAG! The slack accruing from the failure of the elected government to protect its populace will have to be taken up by human rights organizations.

We need more such organizations, it seems.

Comment

don't leave yuh empty box lunch on the table...don't give men your number...and come back from lunch on time...

Comment

Beyond Those Ideal Policies....

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
          don't leave yuh empty box lunch on the table...don't give men your number...and come back from lunch on time...
          Brickie’s sarcasm again (lol). These are, of course, three policies that EVERY worker in every industry, corporation, etc. should be forced to observe.

Aside from this quasi-humorous sidebar, how do you explain this apparently deeply entrenched sex trafficking and sex slavery industry in 21st century Jamaica, despite the downgrading of the country because of the sustained attack on its own women and girls? Are the international watch groups really aware of how serious things are on The Rock?

And what is with these unending Ananda Alerts?! Since its noble launch in December 2009 it is disheartening how many times every week of every month the system has to be invoked!

As I said above, the only solution seems to be to deliberate increase the numbers/presence of local human rights groups who will, in turn, pressure the branches of government to start showing concern for its citizens!

Comment

When was the last time there was a police operation to shut down one of these sex shops? Sexual slavery is alive & thriving in Jamaica it seems.
            Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

We Will/Are Reaping What We Sowed

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              When was the last time there was a police operation to shut down one of these sex shops? Sexual slavery is alive & thriving in Jamaica it seems.
              You are right, and personally speaking, the horror stories that have been happening in Jamaica in recent years are, in effect, the proverbial “reaping what we sowed.” Since the 1960s, too much innocent blood has been lost and innocent lives destroyed in our essentially evil, uncaring society. Don’t you think there are consequences to pay?

The presence of countless churches has led us to convince ourselves that we are a Christian society, but as in all cases where evil thrives unabated, Jamaica will surely continue to suffer the consequences of the evil perpetuated on its innocent children, women and men.

The problem is not CARICOM. The problem is not external enemies at our doorstep. As the character Simon said about the fearsome beast in William Golding’s classic novel, Lord of the Flies, “Maybe it’s (the Beast) only us.”

Comment

True, we are reaping the seeds that we sow. A Rastaman once said whatever people do, it comes back in abundance. Good deeds & positivity produces a healthy society. Bad deeds welcomes the devil on earth.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                X