'Sass, This is what you've said for years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Sass, This is what you've said for years

‘Sass, you have been consistent over the past several years in stressing this point. This writer has summed up perfectly what you have been saying all along.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure5.html

Radio Bosses, Disc Jocks Stifling Jamaican Music

Published: Friday | December 20, 2013 6 Comments

Larry Film, Guest Columnist

Obviously, after the triumph of Tessanne Chin, many Jamaicans are rejoicing. However, even though I share the joy of her 'Voice' victory, this points to an open wound. Radio disc jocks in Jamaica are as a big a failure to Jamaican music as are our leaders to the citizens of Jamaica.

I'll go out on a limb. Radio stations like Zip 103, Hitz FM and Links FM have talented disc jocks but their act of ignoring 'fresh and positive talents' is what is causing our music to suffer on the world stage. The people of Jamaica aren't getting the chance to hear fresh voices/talent with fresh ideas, lyrics because the disc jocks aren't playing them.

Instead of feeling happy for Tessanne, many local disc jocks should be embarrassed to know that she was here all along and they didn't give her enough air play. Instead, we hear the same 'wine-up, wine-up' songs every day.

I've seen where disc jocks posted on FB and other social-media networks that Jamaica's music is on the decline because Kartel is in jail, How absurd! First of all, Kartel is indeed one of the most lyrical geniuses dancehall has ever seen, but he's not using his talent to propel the music; he's just using it to keep relevant and manipulate the youngsters who are mostly ignorant. Youngsters who grew up in broken homes afflicted by absentee fathers and overworked mothers.

Vybz Kartel has never sold copper, bronze, silver, or gold, much more to sell platinum or, like the big man, Shaggy, diamond. Kartel has never been nominated for a Grammy, so there's no accolade to suggest that he is helping dancehall music.

Musical giants

Jimmy Cliff, Burning Spear, Sly & Robbie and others like them are who you call giants in music. These artistes aren't getting the attention on Jamaican radio like the 'rups-rups' music we hear every day.

A woman like Tanya Stephens, who has no equal when it comes on to the topics she addresses, or the clarity with which she delivers, gets little or no attention from most of the disc jocks on the radio stations.

I think the Broadcasting Commission of Jamaica needs to come up with some stipulations that would force the disc jocks to cover a wider range of Jamaican artistes who are doing uplifting and educational music. Also, greater time should be offered to the airing of new and upcoming talents, not just to artistes who tell women to "kack up, bruk it dung, dash out dem h" and other trash.

Disc jocks should then be monitored, and if it is found that they aren't abiding by the regulations, they should be suspended or expelled.

Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and larryfilm101@gmail.com

thanks you see it. The only problem is I don't think the Broadcast Commission can regulate this. It would have to be monitored by each station.

What we fail to see is the role that the local radio play. Breaking artist means tours, dubplates, commericals etc. That make the music feed itself. If that is not happening there is no reason for people to re-invest in the business and the need for professionalism. While we have to recognize the fans at home, our music needs the exposure and fans. It also expose the station and the DJ as well.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      ‘Sass, you have been consistent over the past several years in stressing this point. This writer has summed up perfectly what you have been saying all along.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure5.html

Radio Bosses, Disc Jocks Stifling Jamaican Music

Published: Friday | December 20, 2013 6 Comments

Larry Film, Guest Columnist

Obviously, after the triumph of Tessanne Chin, many Jamaicans are rejoicing. However, even though I share the joy of her 'Voice' victory, this points to an open wound. Radio disc jocks in Jamaica are as a big a failure to Jamaican music as are our leaders to the citizens of Jamaica.

I'll go out on a limb. Radio stations like Zip 103, Hitz FM and Links FM have talented disc jocks but their act of ignoring 'fresh and positive talents' is what is causing our music to suffer on the world stage. The people of Jamaica aren't getting the chance to hear fresh voices/talent with fresh ideas, lyrics because the disc jocks aren't playing them.

Instead of feeling happy for Tessanne, many local disc jocks should be embarrassed to know that she was here all along and they didn't give her enough air play. Instead, we hear the same 'wine-up, wine-up' songs every day.

I've seen where disc jocks posted on FB and other social-media networks that Jamaica's music is on the decline because Kartel is in jail, How absurd! First of all, Kartel is indeed one of the most lyrical geniuses dancehall has ever seen, but he's not using his talent to propel the music; he's just using it to keep relevant and manipulate the youngsters who are mostly ignorant. Youngsters who grew up in broken homes afflicted by absentee fathers and overworked mothers.

Vybz Kartel has never sold copper, bronze, silver, or gold, much more to sell platinum or, like the big man, Shaggy, diamond. Kartel has never been nominated for a Grammy, so there's no accolade to suggest that he is helping dancehall music.

Musical giants

Jimmy Cliff, Burning Spear, Sly & Robbie and others like them are who you call giants in music. These artistes aren't getting the attention on Jamaican radio like the 'rups-rups' music we hear every day.

A woman like Tanya Stephens, who has no equal when it comes on to the topics she addresses, or the clarity with which she delivers, gets little or no attention from most of the disc jocks on the radio stations.

I think the Broadcasting Commission of Jamaica needs to come up with some stipulations that would force the disc jocks to cover a wider range of Jamaican artistes who are doing uplifting and educational music. Also, greater time should be offered to the airing of new and upcoming talents, not just to artistes who tell women to "kack up, bruk it dung, dash out dem h" and other trash.

Disc jocks should then be monitored, and if it is found that they aren't abiding by the regulations, they should be suspended or expelled.

Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and larryfilm101@gmail.com

Beautifully stated Storian. Couldn't have been better said.

Comment

Like wha mi sey a few days ago, when a DJ plays one riddim for 45 minutes straight, he does the music a great disservice. In terms of a regulation, we have to brainstorm the idea so it does not infringe upon free speech by the media. What is lacking is a diversity of artists being featured on the radio. Possibly something like one artist's music can not be played more than once/hour. A DJ is limited to playing one Kartel, Mavado per hour etc. What if Shaggy has a new album, or the DJ has a special program featuring Peter Tosh etc? The regulation must address these circumstances.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Indeed!

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
          Beautifully stated Storian. Couldn't have been better said.
          You are right! This guest writer Larry Film (I never heard of him before) made a tremendous amount of sense. The Jamaican media, particularly the broadcast media, is to a great extent the creative Jamaican recording artists’ worst enemy.

In fact, Shaggy touched on this problem in the YouTube interview (see Islandman’s thread), for example when he was talking about Tessanne Chin.

Comment

Working...
          X