X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaggy speaks about his career, reggae and more

Interesting interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YceFPmk23Rw
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

It is Indeed Interesting

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
    Thanks for posting this video, I’man. I saw your post yesterday, but just got a chance to check the YouTube link.

I wish every member of this forum could take the time and watch/listen to this interview. Shaggy does not mince words (lol), and he makes a great deal of sense! He’s articulate, and quite frankly I am in complete agreement with the views he expressed.

(I had to smile as his views began to take on a spiritual tone towards the end of the interview. Lol)

Comment

It is refreshing to hear from an artiste who has taken the time to really learn the business side of the industry he is in.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

another one who jamaicans ridiculed...until he sold diamond...then...the waggonism took hold...

Comment

A seedless grape artiste dat , or is it snow artiste

Comment

A lot of discipline is required by these majors. I remember a remix wanted by a company because it said something they thought it did, but didn't the artist and the producer was upset and didn't want to change it but they had to.

If an artist has its fan and touring constantly, they may not need the major label at all. When they get the major it is a down payment and a lot of work involved.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So Very True, Brickie!

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
              another one who jamaicans ridiculed...until he sold diamond...then...the waggonism took hold...
              Yuh seet, boss! First, it was Shaggy, then Sean Paul, then Tessanne Chin. (I notice that not much is said of our Chinese violin prodigy, Jessica Yap, but of course, this will change if she ever has mainstream success abroad.)

But hold it! Didn’t Usain Bolt face untold ridicule after his failures at the 2005 IAAF World Championships? In his case, he became the butt of hurtful jokes in the media and on the streets. Look now at Bolt post 2008.

But hold it a bit more! Didn’t Shelly-Ann Fraser have people calling the various radio programs and writing letters to the press in their unrelenting campaign to have her removed from Jamaica’s 2008 Olympic Games team as a 100-meter representative -- after she legally qualified for her spot -- and have her replaced by VCB? Oh yeah, now look at the magnanimous accolades that are overwhelming Shelly-Ann today!

All I can say is that it seems to be a part of our national psyche to tear down promising members of our society who do not fit into our restrictive, self-imposed mold!

Comment

I think that is a bit harsh Historian. Not to say that what you have stated did not or does not happen but I don't see it as something unique to Jamaicans as it related to public figures.

I do agree that , as Colin Channer put it in that Wall Street Journal article, Jamaicans have a "complicated" relationship with uptowners who excel in sports and entertainment. Shaggy was a bit different in that he built his career while based in the US, a rarity for Jamaican artistes at the time and to some extent still today.

Comment

original foundation yout, him respect concrete an ginormous ebry time. Duh nuff tings inna di yard fi di people dem. yout LARGE!!

Comment

the tear down thing is true for real ... part of the national psyche.

poor asfa was built up before he was torn down and him cannot handle it.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

i don't know much about shaggy's early days, but did he begin his career in jamaica? and as far as i remember from "o carolina" drop, it was a big hit amongst jamaicans.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

He was based in NYC when he got his breakthrough.

Comment

Not wid me. Always thought Shaggy was kinda ornery as an artiste. Magnanimous in other ways though!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Shaggy was actually in the service in North Coralina. He spent most of his weekends doing dances in NY. He and Red Fox, Rayvon and Sleep Wonder etc. were very close.

Red fox was the first one to get a contract with a major label, so Shaggy had some guidance as he and Red Fox are like brothers until today. I think he build a strong crew around him from early and didn't really needed any validation.
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

True

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                              He was based in NYC when he got his breakthrough.
                              This is because Shaggy migrated to join his mother in New York when he was barely out of his teens. He was around 18 years old when he migrated.

(Later he fought in the Gulf War as a marine.)

Comment

Working...
                              X