So True!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So True!

"Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Says it all we are followers, where are the progressives ?
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Re: So True!

As ‘Sass (respect, boss ) has so often pointed out, and quite correctly so, the Jamaican radio stations are a HUGE problem as far as the growth of our music industry is concerned! In fact, Jamaican radio is perhaps the biggest of the several problems!

But is it surprising? The musically intelligent radio jocks of the past, such as Errol Lee, Don Toppin, Winston Barnes, Winston Williams, Charlie Babcock, Tony Verity, etc., have been replaced since the late 1980s by people who I will not even waste adjectives on! And I’m referring to radio selectors/ disc jokeys who are near and dear to the hearts of several posters on this forum!

So, now that a product of the most accursed and maligned “Uptown Kingston” has once again placed Jamaica on the international musical map (as Sean Paul did several years ago), we find that the local media are ready to embrace her!

If only you guys knew the contempt I have long held for Jamaican radio!!

So, let us leave the very talented ambassador Tessanne Chin alone and let’s focus on what is truly Jamaican in our music industry, Sting!

We are truly a ****ed-up nation, and Tessanne’s fifteen minutes of fame notwithstanding, it will only get worse in Jamaica for the truly talented men and women.

Comment

Trust me, you have a few good ones but the Payola thing is also one of the reason why you can't hear good music. Even if some of them know it, they rather get paid to play some of the these songs. Not good at all.

Talent is secondary.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I am a bit surprised that radio still has so much power in the music industry.

I would have thought that by having many more stations today as well as the various new ways people have access to free music, that the DJs wouldn't be able to have such control over a new artiste breaking out as before.

But if payola is still a big thing then clearly they must still have a lot of influence.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

A few things.

You have more radio stations so that means more DJs and more station bills to pay. Some of the radio stations may know what going on but once you have a hot DJ you don't want lose him/her.

There is the new media but most of the internet radio etc. are djs and most don't really specialize in breaking new artiste. It is not only Jamaica, as you listen to North American format you see that most of the music been played are pushed out of the big studios by already established artists or producers.

Even though you have a hot new song you need some radio spin or a few concerts to direct people to your electronic media.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
            X