• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minister wants age of consent moved to 18

Minister wants age of consent moved to 18

BY NADINE WILSON Observer staff reporter wilsonn@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013

SANDREA Falconer, the minister with responsibility for information, says she intends to lobby for an increase in the age of consent as one of the measures to counteract the country's high rate of teenage pregnancy, one of the highest in the region.
    Under Jamaican laws, both girls and boys are able to consent to sex at 16 years old and above. However, the Government minister believes that children should not be allowed to engage in what should be considered an adult activity.

FALCONER… it is time to send a strong message that it is not okay to have sex with children

1/1

"I have long believed that we cannot have 18 as the age when people are considered adults and the age of consent is 16 years. I believe we need to have a serious look at changing that age of consent to 18 years old," Falconer told the Jamaica Observer during the recent high-level consultation on the reduction of adolescent pregnancy in the Caribbean, hosted by the UNFPA at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Trinidad and Tobago.
    "Sex should be an adult thing and that's what we must encourage as a country. Children are not equipped emotionally for sex," she said.
    The minister was speaking against the backdrop of the United Nations' State of the World Population 2013 report, which showed that Jamaica's adolescent birth rate is 72 per 1,000 for females 15 to 19. This is the fourth highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the region, just behind Belize, Guyana and the Dominican Republic, which has the highest adolescent rate at 98 per 1,000.
    Falconer, meanwhile, said it was important that children be educated on matters relating to sexual health and urged parents to impart good values to their children.
    "For me, an ideal world would be that we have children abstain from sex until they are adults, but we are not in an ideal world and what we have to do is to give our young people the tools so that we can make the right decisions, so their lives are not blighted by unwanted pregnancies. We know that once a young person becomes pregnant it's oftentimes than not that they can't get the future they had planned for because now they have the responsibility of a child," she said.
    According to Falconer, given "the levels of sexualisation" in Jamaica and the sexual abuse of girls, it is time to send a strong message that it is not okay to have sex with children.
    "A lot of the girls are impregnated by men, and one thing we need to move away from in Jamaica [is] where people accept sexual abuse as a norm. I believe that we need to do that through public education and we need to revisit that, getting people to adopt certain values and certain attitudes," said the minister.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2nlPk6T6q

mi know it wasn't lisa hannah...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nuff don man bex. Can use DNA an jam dem.

Comment

It is crazy thst age of consent is as young as 16,makes you wonder about the mindset of the adults thay passed that law.
        I think the consent age should be exclusively about adults having sex with teenagers.
        If the concern is teenaged pregnancy then the age should be 20,and of course a law deterring hight schoolers from having sex with each other.Making this common practice a criminal offence does not sit well with me(albeit me doan waan any 16 years old daughter of mine to have sex,and it must have been someone daughter that was my significant other when me did. inna high school.
        The twist to it is you are not safeguarding against teenaged prenancy if you refuse to address that crucial issue.
        We have a serious problem,hence I support raising the age of consent to 18.

Comment

Will This Make a Difference?

It’s easy to understand Ms. Falconer’s concern, and I certainly share it 100 percent. Nevertheless, the solution to this ugly nationwide (not merely the inner-city ghettoes) problem will not be solved by a simple changing of the age of consent by Jamaica’s legislature. The history of our parliamentary acts is a history of laws unobserved!

The fact is that this “magic” age of 16 serves as the age of consent throughout MOST of the Americas, including the majority of the USA’s 50 states. In countries like Guyana and Canada, until a few years ago, the age of consent was actually as low as 14. Can you believe that?! (I was in Georgetown when the furor over that businessman’s planned wedding to the little girl brought this matter of the sexual consent age to the fore, resulting in the subsequent changes in that country’s law.)

Falconer’s view that “it is important that children be educated on matters relating to sexual health and urged parents to impart good values to their children” is, without question, vitally important. However, simply making (sensible) statements from the comfort of her air conditioned office will have absolutely zero effect on attitudes and actions in our dysfunctional society.

The changes will have to go much, much deeper, including changes to the popular culture. Some of us take Muadib’s post on Lee Kwan Yew as a laughing matter, but I strongly suspect that nothing short of a benevolent dictator like Singapore’s former strongman will make any meaningful changes to Jamaica’s immense social problems.

Until then, we will continue making wasted socio-economic and political comments on this message board.

Comment

I have to agree with you here... I just read a short article in a National Geographic from 2011 I think it was. Bottom line is, according to the article, in a teenager's mind reward is more valued than consequences...
            Peter R

Comment

Working...
            X