Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carjackings at N.J. malls and shopping centers not common

Carjackings at N.J. malls and shopping centers not common, police say

Carjackings like the one took place Sunday night at the Short Hills Mall are not common in New Jersey. (Robert Sciarrino/The Star-Ledger)Print By Jeff Goldman/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

Email the author | Follow on Twitter
    on December 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM, updated December 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Carjackings that take place at malls and shopping centers make up just a small percentage of such incidents in New Jersey.
    Of the 379 reported carjackings in New Jersey in 2011, only 13 happened in a parking lot, business strip or shopping center, according to State Police data. In all the crimes, only one person was killed.
    Most carjackings (326) took place in a residential area with 10 happening along a highway and another 21 in an intersection, the data says.

On Sunday night, a 30-year-old lawyer from Hoboken was fatally shot during an apparent carjacking in a parking deck at the Short Hills Mall in Millburn. Dustin Friedland died at Morristown Medical Center Sunday night.
    Their vehicle, a 2012 silver Range Rover, was found abandoned in Newark this morning. No arrests have yet been made, police said.
    Although carjackings in commercial areas are rare, the overwhelming majority (225) of them in 2011 happened in Essex County, where the Short Hills Mall is located. And Sunday, according to the data, is the most popular day for carjackings.

May, with 52 carjackings, was the most popular month for carjackings, according to the report. November, with 50 carjackings, was second and December, with 40, was third.
    Statewide, there were 35 Mercedes Benz and 35 Nissans carjacked during 2011.

Essex County saw 428 carjackings in 2011, and 414 in 2012, according to information released by the Essex County Sheriff's office earlier this year. In late August, county officials said Essex was on pace the match the 2011 total again.

There were only arrests in 2 percent, or nine, of the 379 carjackings in 2011, officials said.
    Carjackings have increased nationally in recent years as vehicles become harder and harder to steal, according to police officials. Newer model cars and trucks, like the Range Rover involved in Sunday night's carjacking, often come with advanced security systems that make it very difficult for would be criminals to steal the vehicles unless the owner has already placed the keys in the ignition.

Staff writer James Queally contributed to this report.
    --------
    Always be on the look out when you're shopping and returning to your vehicle. - situational awareness
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Investigate the wife who managed to "escape" properly. The shooting itself is very unusual.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      Investigate the wife who managed to "escape" properly. The shooting itself is very unusual.
      Jangle, i said the same thing to my better half this morning. It kinda suspicious how nothing happened to the wife. Is it possible she took out a hot on him? Is it a drug hit and they stole the car to give the impression there was a different motive? Then again it is close to Newark and dem tief car dehso fi sport.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Carjacking and murder are two different thing. Usually a pistol-whipping is the order of the day in a carjacking. Plus they shot him in the head which means that they meant to kill him. Something not right.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          it is close to Newark and dem tief car dehso fi sport.
          Bwoy, if sumudy else sey dat, unuh would a up in arms!
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

True, in a carjacking dem normally just waan the car. Something strange fi true.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
              Bwoy, if sumudy else sey dat, unuh would a up in arms!
              Smady else like who? If I said something offensive let me know.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Smady else like who? If I said something offensive let me know.
                If Bill O'Reilly or ‎Sean Hannity made dem disparging remarks bout Newwark, yuh would a vex.

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                  If Bill O'Reilly or ‎Sean Hannity made dem disparging remarks bout Newwark, yuh would a vex.
                  Doubt it, I don't listen to Bill O'Reilly and even worse Sean Hannity.

Comment

Jangle, i said the same thing to my better half this morning. It kinda suspicious how nothing happened to the wife. Is it possible she took out a hot on him? Is it a drug hit and they stole the car to give the impression there was a different motive? Then again it is close to Newark and dem tief car dehso fi sport.
                    Similar thought went through my head. I remember the Pamela Smart case.
                    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                    X