Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK station pulls shutters on reggae

UK station pulls shutters on reggae

BY CECELIA CAMPBELL-LIVINGSTON Observer staff reporter livingstonc@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, October 06, 2013

CHOICE FM, the British radio station that made its name exposing contemporary reggae, has closed its doors on the genre as it moves into a new era as Capital Extra.
    Last week, reggae disc jockey Natty B was cut from the station's roster as Capital Extra began taking shape.

Reggae disc jockey Natty B

1/1

Natty B started at Choice FM in 2000. He said on Twitter that he enjoyed his time broadcasting reggae on one of London's most popular urban radio stations.
    "I would like to thank everyone that has been a part of my journey and hope to be back on the airwaves very soon. Peace!"
    His last show was on Sunday, September 29.
    Choice FM grew from a small studio in Brixton in 1990. Its playlist of reggae, hip hop and soul appealed to an audience that comprised mainly black Londoners.
    In an article on the noisey.vice.com website titled 'Why We Should Mourn The Death of Choice FM', Sam Wolfson bemoaned its loss.
    "We've been here before. In 2003, when Choice was first bought by Capital, it was gutted. All reggae music was removed from the station's daytime playlists; some of the biggest DJs were fired and the hip hop-centric playlist of Mos Def and Nas was replaced by the commercial R&B sounds of Nelly and Destiny's Child. There were protests in Leicester Square, and many felt that black London had lost a voice on the airwaves."
    Choice FM's prime-time evening schedule comprised mainly hip hop and British underground music. Weekends were dedicated to reggae, soca, dancehall, Afro beats and gospel.
    Reggae has taken a beating on British mainstream radio in recent years. The most noted loss came last November when renowned reggae historian and dis jockey David Rodigan resigned from London's Kiss FM after 22 years.
    He said management's "refusal" to schedule the music at a "socially accessible time" was the reason for him calling it a day.

Originally posted by Exile View Post
    UK station pulls shutters on reggae

BY CECELIA CAMPBELL-LIVINGSTON Observer staff reporter livingstonc@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, October 06, 2013

CHOICE FM, the British radio station that made its name exposing contemporary reggae, has closed its doors on the genre as it moves into a new era as Capital Extra.
    Last week, reggae disc jockey Natty B was cut from the station's roster as Capital Extra began taking shape.

Reggae disc jockey Natty B

1/1

Natty B started at Choice FM in 2000. He said on Twitter that he enjoyed his time broadcasting reggae on one of London's most popular urban radio stations.
    "I would like to thank everyone that has been a part of my journey and hope to be back on the airwaves very soon. Peace!"
    His last show was on Sunday, September 29.
    Choice FM grew from a small studio in Brixton in 1990. Its playlist of reggae, hip hop and soul appealed to an audience that comprised mainly black Londoners.
    In an article on the noisey.vice.com website titled 'Why We Should Mourn The Death of Choice FM', Sam Wolfson bemoaned its loss.
    "We've been here before. In 2003, when Choice was first bought by Capital, it was gutted. All reggae music was removed from the station's daytime playlists; some of the biggest DJs were fired and the hip hop-centric playlist of Mos Def and Nas was replaced by the commercial R&B sounds of Nelly and Destiny's Child. There were protests in Leicester Square, and many felt that black London had lost a voice on the airwaves."
    Choice FM's prime-time evening schedule comprised mainly hip hop and British underground music. Weekends were dedicated to reggae, soca, dancehall, Afro beats and gospel.
    Reggae has taken a beating on British mainstream radio in recent years. The most noted loss came last November when renowned reggae historian and dis jockey David Rodigan resigned from London's Kiss FM after 22 years.
    He said management's "refusal" to schedule the music at a "socially accessible time" was the reason for him calling it a day.
    Innernet

Comment

Disappointing, But Not Surprising

This is a disappointing development, but it seems consistent with other facts; for example, reggae’s falling sales -- even an artist of the caliber of Snoop Dogg (Snoop Lion) cannot make any significant impact on sales despite his album being the top selling reggae album in the USA in 2013.

Are these actions by Choice FM and Kiss FM signs of things to come for our beloved reggae music? I suspect that we should be worried, particularly if, along with the actions by these British radio stations, we cross the Atlantic and look at the American 2014 Grammy Awards reggae nominations and match these against the weak sales of each album.

Likewise, despite being a fixture on the Grammys since the early 1980s, reggae awards are still being handed out offstage.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        This is a disappointing development, but it seems consistent with other facts; for example, reggae’s falling sales -- even an artist of the caliber of Snoop Dogg (Snoop Lion) cannot make any significant impact on sales despite his album being the top selling reggae album in the USA in 2013.

Are these actions by Choice FM and Kiss FM signs of things to come for our beloved reggae music? I suspect that we should be worried, particularly if, along with the actions by these British radio stations, we cross the Atlantic and look at the American 2014 Grammy Awards reggae nominations and match these against the weak sales of each album.

Likewise, despite being a fixture on the Grammys since the early 1980s, reggae awards are still being handed out offstage.

Sad indeed. I saw it coming, and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. I see, however, a resurgence of ska, but the idiots at the JTB and other promoters of our "culture" are failing to see that, and hope to ride the Bob Marley train for eternity.

Comment

You Are Absolutely Correct

Originally posted by Reggaedoc View Post
          Sad indeed. I saw it coming, and it is probably going to get worse before it gets better. I see, however, a resurgence of ska, but the idiots at the JTB and other promoters of our "culture" are failing to see that, and hope to ride the Bob Marley train for eternity.
          Good to see you posting, ‘Doc. Your posts were missed.

I agree with all that you have said here. In fact, poster X has been campaigning for years to have ska re-introduced inside Jamaica as a central element of our culture. Over time I’ve come to fully agree with X on this matter. In fact, the only differences he and I have had on the subject is my recognition of the fact that Jamaicans were the ones who abandoned ska (musicians, producers, record buyers) in preference for other genres (first rocksteady in the mid-1960s and then reggae). The sad fact is that ska’s shelf life in Jamaica was almost as short as rocksteady’s.

But you are absolutely correct, Reggaedoc, that “the JTB and other promoters of our ‘culture’ are failing” to recognize the international re-emergence of ska. And the international appreciation of ska is real, as X has constantly shown in his many video posts on the genre.

Dancehall, which has over time become closely interlinked with American rap and hip-hop, has so far not had the broad international impact and respect that reggae and ska has, and I strongly doubt if it ever will.

Maybe, just maybe, the future of international success and respect for Jamaica’s musical culture lies in the aggressive promotion of Jamaican ska.

Comment

In fact, the only differences he and I have had on the subject is my recognition of the fact that Jamaicans were the ones who abandoned ska (musicians, producers, record buyers) in preference for other genres (first rocksteady in the mid-1960s and then reggae

Wow....Is this how you choose to paint me ? Our disagreement came in the forms of your disregard of ska, as not being on par with Jazz, not having the influence as Jazz,the historiacal significane of Ska on Jamaican culture where you dismissed it as horns music and gave credit to Byron Lee as playing a major role in the development of Ska.

Thats a lot of disagreement,as for your claim about abandonment by our musicians we agree, hence my campaign for it to be duly recognised.

Misssstorian.....Have you begun to write that book on the history of Jamaican music ? I suggest you read Don Drummond: The Genius and Tragedy of the World's Greatest Trombonist Paperback by Heather Augustyn,to get a grasp of Jamaican musical history.
            Last edited by Sir X; December 16, 2013, 09:49 AM.
            THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I agree and reggae has brought this on itself. There are many reasons for this. First and foremost is the stifling of the talent on Jamaican airways, lack of creativity coming out of Jamaica, poor quality of music where anyone with a PC can build a riddim, the refusal of entry for Jamaican stars in foreign lands etc, all results in a cumulative negative impact on the music.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Jamaica can do little things to help itself, like waive taxes on brass instruments, prices range from 120 to 3000 us.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

you guys are all over the place. That station closing maybe an opportunity for others. That is what happen when you own nothing. Reggae is certainly not dead in England, it can be heard on the airwaves on many stations.

While it is sad to see it go from Choice FM in London it is not the end.

When did JTB become the promoter of our culture?? I thought they were the Jamaica Tourist Board??? We have so many other cultural organization in Jamaica, what happen to them???

What happen to multimillionaire reggae act, managers, promoters and label who bury their money and literally act like beggars, don't they think they can re-invest a little in the music and culture if they come as a unit???

Sad to say Reggae is not dying and will live on. It is whether we have the brains and will to be leaders in the Reggae industry or continue to be inventors but stragglers.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I agree with you on this one Sass. I have been meaning to write something for the past few weeks, but time is not allowing me to. This was in relation to the discussion here about Dancehall music. I'll try to summarize what I wanted to say.

People here like Historian and many of the "older" folks are refusing to accept the evolution of the music and culture. Even I have issues with accepting what has become the norm in today's music and culture. I will try to get into that another time, so I'll stick to the conversation about ska.

Sass, as you rightly said, the JTB is not responsible for music promotion. The record producers and other players in the industry is only concerned about making a profit....which nothing is wrong with. So are our DJ's and singers. If someone were to do a ska song that became a hit, then you would see more of our artist following. This morning I heard on the radio that Beyoncé's surprise album is anticipated to be her best in first-week sales 9downloads).....600k. I remember not so long ago when major artistes were doing over a million in their first week. When N-Synch, Backstreet Boys and other major artistes were dropping their albums, there would be long lines to get the first copies. Digital advancement in music have significantly affected the sale of music. However, that doesn't mean that the genre is any less popular than it was. The young crowd here and in Europe know most of the Dancehall songs that are played on Jamaican radio stations.

Two weeks ago, the wife and I went to a relative's Sweet sixteen birthday party. These were American kids. The DJ was playing a mixture from all genres trying to please the mixture of old people and youngsters. He would play the standard songs that would get a few people on the dance floor like Electric Boogie, Cha-cha dance etc. and then the floor would empty out. After a while, a few of the kids went up to him to request some Dancehall music, well let me be more specific, Vybz kartel (which he had been saving as his coup de gras. He drew School Book and a few others and the floor was packed. I saw something that immediately made me think of Historian. Two girls (whites) began to grind (a-la the Maggoty High school girls) on each other in full view of all the old people there. Not one soul batted an eye. Then he played QQ's One Drop. Look it up on Youtube.
                    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Time Will Tell

Jangle, my friend (and you are someone I genuinely respect very much) , I have just about worn out my welcome on this forum as far as my discussion of dancehall music is concerned (lol). As such, I will limit my comment here to just EIGHT sentences.

I am not disputing the fact that many urban, rebellious teens in various countries outside of the Caribbean have developed a love for Jamaican dancehall. However, think of the following two facts (and I could present more):

1. Do you realize that mainstream reggae impacted many cultures of the world in ways that are still difficult to fathom? From the ANC movement in South Africa to young adults in Indonesia to the Aborigines of Australia, and millions in between, people depended on reggae (Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh, etc.) for inspiration in their struggles!

2. Do you realize that there are numerous bands in the various continents that have sprung up solely to perform reggae? Listening to their lead singers is a lesson in globalization, as their songs can be heard in their national language -- Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc.

I could go on and on, but what’s the point? Yes, like you I too have seen rebellious young people -- white and black -- respond enthusiastically to the sounds of dancehall, but….

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                        I am not disputing the fact that many urban, rebellious teens (but it is not just rebellious teens that love dancehall music) in various countries outside of the Caribbean have developed a love for Jamaican dancehall. However, think of the following two facts (and I could present more):

1. Do you realize that mainstream reggae impacted many cultures of the world in ways that are still difficult to fathom? (Absolutely ) From the ANC movement in South Africa to young adults in Indonesia to the Aborigines of Australia, and millions in between, people depended on reggae (Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh, etc.) for inspiration in their struggles! (What are they listening to now that many have overcome their struggles)

2. Do you realize that there are numerous bands in the various continents that have sprung up solely to perform reggae? Listening to their lead singers is a lesson in globalization, as their songs can be heard in their national language -- Spanish, French, German, Italian, etc.

I could go on and on, but what’s the point? Yes, like you I too have seen rebellious young people -- white and black -- respond enthusiastically to the sounds of dancehall, but….

I hear you, but the simple fact is that Reggae music is being overtaken by Dancehall music which requires less to produce and is more loved by the BUYING public, which is the young people of today. If Jamaica and the players in the industry are serious about saving Reggae music, which they have to see as worthy of saving, they should expand the teaching of music in schools.
                        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

To be real, some of the quality music that are currently playing is not the greatest but it is not like the music dead at all.

Every so often an artist break through and Reggae go on top but otherwise reggae is fairly constant. I remember in the early 90s you couldn't hear R&B on many stations in NY, it was just hip hop as they changed their format but guess what? now most gone back to R&B. It is a cycle as radio try to refreshing themselves and new management take over and move in different direction.

Again if we own it, that won't happen.

We are now looking to JTB. That is not and shouldn't be JTB role. They do advertising, planning, they do training and work with the different groups within the tourism industry. If you have your thing setup and feel you can attract tourist and JTB is comfortable with it they will offer you sponsorship and even show up to sell product Jamaica. Look since JTB made a hit with Bob's "one love" about 25 years ago they haven't even tried something else. Maybe Tessanne can "I can see clearly now for them" LOL.

Jamaican music is still popular in all forms. What we need is people in the industry to work as team to succeed. The oldsters not counseling the youngsters, the man who make it don't reinvest.

With the right outlet and the right DJ Ska, Reggae, Dancehall will always hit.
                          Did you remember when Shaggy redid "Oh Coralina"? or you ever party to the original by The folkes brother/Mystic Revelation of Rastafari? Or did you remember when Chakademus and Plyers drop a Ska song that "Mash up the British Chart"? Jolly Boys a tour the world at 80.

We have talent, we just have to teach the kids and bring them on and make them know they can conquer the world. All we need is one mainstream break through. Reggae still have a huge following. The industry change not only for reggae as you say but for all popular music form that depended on CD and 45s.

My concern is not for the music so much but the music sales as independent artist everywhere who have made have to tour and others hope for a breakthrough in the digital market. Reggae is no different.

You ever see them dance the "Wobble" and that is no reggae. LOL. Mi might old but mi no cold, spin some a them and watch the youngsters.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Problem is neither dancehall nor reggae is selling well internationally right now.

Look at an iTunes reggae chart (which includes dancehall) for just about any country and you will see songs that are 5-10 years old if not more than that. I am sure "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy is not selling a whole lot of units and yet there it is.

http://www.apple.com/euro/itunes/cha...ggaesongs.html

These charts do not show a music genre that is growing internationally.

Touring is what is keeping the music alive internationally right now but both reggae and dancehall are desperately in need of a breakout artiste or group.
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Honestly, with all his faults Kartel looked like he was the artiste to take dancehall music to more mainstream success. He had the talent and the personality to do it. It is a pity he got caught up in all these problems.

BTW you know this likkle girl named Samantha J whose video was getting rotation on BET? Me see she was performing on 106 and Park the other day.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X