Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americas 1st admitted Ganja Mayor

America, Meet Your First Ganjapreneur Turned Mayor

“Of course I support legalization,” says the new mayor of the Northern California town of Sebastopol
    By Katy Steinmetz / San Francisco @katysteinmetzDec. 12, 20134 Comments
      • Robert Jacob / AP

Follow @TIME

We are in an era of marijuana milestones. Washington and Colorado are getting ready to open the nation’s first legal, recreational-pot shops. Nearly 60% of Americans support legalizing the drug, an all-time high. And in the quiet Northern California town of Sebastopol (pop. 7,525), America has just gotten its first marijuana businessman turned mayor, elected unanimously by his fellow city-council members earlier this month.
    Robert Jacob, 37, worked with homeless youth and HIV-positive communities in San Francisco before moving to Sebastopol and starting the area’s first medical-marijuana dispensary in 2007. The business, Peace in Medicine, now has two locations and 20,000 members. TIME spoke with Jacob about his new job, legalization in California and what politicians can learn from ganjapreneurs like him.
    You appear to be the first American mayor who is also running a medical-marijuana business. What do you think the significance of that is?
    I don’t believe I became mayor because of my medical-marijuana background. I believe I became mayor because of my ability to work within all communities and with all council members, even when there’s a difference of opinion. So what it signifies is that medical cannabis is no longer your whole identity. Historically, if you were a medical-cannabis advocate, that was your defining factor.
    Your achievement quickly became national news. Do you think there’s an insight here about how America views marijuana these days?
    In Northern California, medical cannabis is a very important issue to many residents. We’re coming to a point of acceptance where patients no longer live in fear of being who they are, where they are coming out of the shadows.
    How bad do you think the stigma has been in the past?
    When I entered the Sebastopol community, there were many patients who lived here who were ashamed, who hid in their homes and weren’t comfortable publicly being a medical-cannabis patient. They didn’t want anybody to know.
    So how did you get into the medical-marijuana business?
    I was working in San Francisco with HIV-positive young people, and there, medical cannabis is at the forefront. But when I moved to Sebastopol and realized there were a lot of people who were uncomfortable being medical-cannabis patients, providers, advocates, I really saw a disenfranchised community. Working with underserved populations has been my life’s work. And I thought it was important to empower that community. So we united behind this vision, which became Peace in Medicine … Sebastopol’s first medical-marijuana dispensary.
    It sounds like you approached medical marijuana more as a social endeavor than a business.
    Absolutely. Peace in Medicine has always been about bringing people together, about breaking down stereotypes. At the end of the day the dispensary is a nonprofit social organization, and providing medical cannabis to patients is just a function of that nonprofit work that we do.
    What lessons from the marijuana business can you apply to politics, or vice versa?
    The key is that when you do anything, you have to have a healthy community, and to have a healthy community, you have to be open to solving issues of all constituencies, regardless of whether you agree with them.
    Do you think recreational marijuana should be legal in California?
    I believe that adult use and legalization is something that is important for us to look at. We squander away a significant portion of our judicial system and financial resources in the state on marijuana offenses. I haven’t been able to review any initiative for the state ballot to see if I do or don’t support it. But in the end, I mean, of course I support legalization.
    How long do you think it will take for it to become legal in California? There are some initiatives brewing for 2014.
    If it doesn’t happen in 2014, it’s going to happen in 2016. I think we’ve seen public opinion is there. It’s only a matter of time before we’re going to see this move forward in a way that, honestly, I believe will create a healthier, more positive community for all of California. When you have a significant portion of people technically breaking an antiquated law, it is time to change that and look at how we can move forward as a society.

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Jamaicas 1st admitted Ganja Mayor

MoBay Mayor Admits To Smoking Ganja As A Youth

Published: Friday | October 11, 20132 Comments

Glendon Harris

While not supporting a resolution in support of the decriminalisation of marijuana yesterday for recreational and medicinal use, Mayor of Montego Glendon Harris has admitted to having smoked the weed as a youngster.[/color]
    The mayor made his revelations at yesterday's regular monthly meeting of the St James Parish Council following the resolution, which was presented by Councillor of the Montego Bay South Division, Suzette Brown. Eleven of the 13 councillors present at the meeting, except Councillor of the Rose Hall Division, Jason Cummings, and Harris, voted in favour of the resolution.[/color]
    "Let me add my pound of flesh to it. As a ]young man, many years ago, I followed some that were older than I was then and experimented with marijuana. So I am speaking from the point of an ex-user of marijuana. Thanks be to God, I was not caught by the law enforcers - and they say confession is good for the ]sou - but thanks be to God that I realised early that I should do nothing that is illegal," Harris said.[/color]
    "Therefore, I quit the habit because I believe that I should not do anything that I have to hide and do. Subsequently, I grew to realise that it was the best move I made and the best decision to quit the use of marijuana before it was too late."
    Harris told the meeting he was particularly concerned as a large number of psychiatric cases could be traced to marijuana use.
    "I lost a best friend because he consumed marijuana soaked in 'John Crow' rum, and from that time until the day he disappeared, he was never the same, so I am just warning," he added.
    "We are losing a complete generation because of the use of marijuana in this country. We know of the medical values, but the way marijuana is being used at this time, is a dangerous, dangerous matter. As far as I am concerned, I don't want those ignorant persons to be criminally charged, but I am saying that we need to save the future of this country and ensure that they are not brought to the level where marijuana is an acceptable thing to use," he said.

[/color]
    Last edited by Sir X; December 12, 2013, 08:04 PM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

My FINAL Comments on Marijuana

I’m going to say this for the final time: For a country with the abysmally low productive levels that Jamaica has displayed, legalizing of marijuana will be the final nail in our almost-completed coffin.

Marijuana most definitely has positive, major health benefits, and this is beyond dispute. On the other hand, over-use of the weed results in lethargy. The last thing we need in our non-productive society is a bunch of slow moving, lethargic men and women at their various work sites, offices, factories, etc.

Secondly, Jamaicans are natural extremists, with a horrible and frightening history of conflict resolution. On one or two occasions I have seen the unbelievable actions of guys after smoking too much of the weed. In each case it was not a pretty sight!

Finally, prolonged smoking of marijuana makes one hungry. Will we see an increase in, for example, praedial larceny?

This will be my FINAL post on marijuana. In the meantime, think of the above three factors even while we celebrate the approaching “promised day” when marijuana will be legal throughout the 14 parishes of Jamaica.

Those who can’t hear will certainly feel.

I’m out!

Comment

You didn't even have to post this final one. The several
        other final comments still reasonates.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          Finally, prolonged smoking of marijuana makes one hungry. Will we see an increase in, for example, praedial larceny?
          Mi Belly!!!
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

The humor to me is the colonial mentality being ridiculed by the master in the push to legalise,rejecting its propogated science while some here cling to it like voodoo,i have seen individuals fight who dont smoke ganja,i have seen individuals go insane after not having a smoke or drinking water.

The science or voodo has proven by the most extensive research done by said masters on our people in the diaspora of panama and c.rica and back home and it came back negative,ccUS Army report ,Schafer report & Vera report, instead of being labelled lazy ,they were labelled as excellent workers building train lines and planting bananas in C.Rica ,building the canal in panama and of course at home doing farm work.

The NIDA study that they quote to prove that ganja damages the brain was done on lab rats ,inhaling ganja smoke in a closed enviroment at excessive levels with no oxygen to supplement the levels,critics countered you would have to smoke in excess of a 1000 ganja cigarettes an hour for a human to reach that level.

Some of us really dont want to look at the science but the voodoo mentality of blaming nature of all our ills persists,our economic lack of productivity ,wanton idleness,crime,sexual promiscuity ,etc etc should all lay at the feet of ganja ? when do our leaders take respsonibility for our mess ?

The cost to maintain the colonial penal system for ganja , is unberable and could be put into education and healthcare,any rational person can see that.The real disgrace is professionals in the field vomiting NIDA propoganda and rejecting the real science,even your own like Chevannes ....real sick!
            Last edited by Sir X; December 13, 2013, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Bump....

Up to the top we go.

Comment

Working...
              X