• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old time Jamaica

What was once Jamaica

Published: Thursday | December 5, 2013 4 Comments

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    Jamaican music, cuisine, coffee, beer and rum drinks - there is much that has proudly represented 'Jamaica' culture here in Southwest Florida, as it also has in so many parts of the US, Canada, and England, as well as in other countries around the world.
    The truth is, I am homesick for a place that was - a country that 'used to be, but is no more'. A place where you could walk alone at night in Kingston without fear; a place where every woman and man was every child's parent; a place where teachers were held higher in regard than the biggest 'big man' and politician; and where the beauty of the landscape, rivers, and mountains was revered, respected. They were then unscarred, unspoiled, and unblemished by the careless, selfish works of greed and exploitation.
    From time to time these days, I go to a little place on Pondella Road in North Fort Myers called 'Jamaican Sunrise'. It calls itself a "Jamaican Take Out Restaurant/ Grocery". It is an old, remodeled convenience store on an almost forgotten street in an ageing suburb. There, I chat with the employees and bemoan the loss of our "once was" Jamaica, a place where "walk good" meant much more than "goodbye". It was hope, promise, and a blessing.
    Thinking of her today, my heart is breaking and, like so many others, I long for what once was Jamaica.
    ED MCCOYhobo48mm@comcast.net

Yardman•5 hours ago

We stood by and let things fall apart; that's what happened when we allow thing to fall apart. For example, if you have your nice house and you stop cleaning it. Soon or later you will afraid of your own house. Few things come natural,
    the rest you have to work hard for.
    What you were enjoying back then, was the hard work
    of some very humble people they ensured manners were the order of the day. In later days, we allowed so-called djs and gun-boys to take over and we did not do anything about it. As a result, we are suffering today for our lack
Working...
X