Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Archway Effect and Ignorant Delusions of school quality

Finally an intelligent observation on Jamaica's education dysfunctionality

As I've said it is the schools which CONVERT mediocre or poor academic performers to good or excellent achievers which are the most valuable by far... not those which merely maintain the grades of the top primary level cohort they receive

It's puzzling how this obvious fact eludes so many

Establish School Zones To Achieve Academic Equality
    Published: Wednesday | December 4, 2013
    R. Howard Thompson, Guest Columnist

In this April 29 photograph, Wolmer's Girls' School students (from left) Khalilah Murdock, Fedora Bernard, Safiya Atkinson, Khadene Chatrie, and Oniela Bent pose for the camera. Wolmer's is a prominent all-girl high school in Kingston. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Whenever I write about the need for zoning our schools, as I do very often, there are always a number of people who assume that I am proposing it as a means of achieving social equality or some such nonsense. Those who have read my articles and letters over the years will recognise that I suggest zoning as a means of facilitating the education of students and nothing more.

It is clear that correspondent, John Reader, in his letter on Thursday, November 28, 2013, does not understand what zoning of schools means. In fact, he might be surprised to know that a type of zoning used to be practised in Jamaica years ago when the traditional high schools were almost all boarding schools.

I am quite aware of the fact that our traditional high schools were not built with that in mind and that their locations had to do with the land grants that were given by private endowments.

Nevertheless, there is no reason we should not create a system that encourages and even coerces parents into sending their wards to certain schools. The children from some parts of Portmore, for instance, could be zoned with those in the downtown area and be given a choice among the schools in that area.

There is no need, for instance, to send a child from the inner city all the way up to Immaculate because she got a hundred average in GSAT. She can do as well at Wolmer's Girls, Alpha Academy, Camperdown or any of the major traditional high schools in that area.

We convince ourselves that we are doing a wonderful thing when we do this, but ignore the plight of the child at Cassava Piece who must then go all the way below Cross Roads, or, as in a case I know of, to Oberlin in Lawrence Tavern .

I have suggested that students be offered incentives to go to schools near to them by giving them free education at those schools or at the lower cost. A child living in Mandeville, for instance, would pay very little or nothing to attend a high school in the region, but would be required to pay the full cost of their tuition if they insisted on attending Munro, Hampton, Glenmuir, Campion or Immaculate.

The problem with the present system is that it promotes certain illusions which parents have been sold. The first one is that parents do have a choice as to what schools their children will attend. Most parents do not.

The second one is that some schools are so much better than others, based on the empirical evidence of CSEC results. But this is merely an illusion of what Edward DeBono calls the Archway Effect.

Send the best students to certain schools, and out of them come successful scholars, while other schools which receive inferior students get less-impressive results without there being any way of knowing whether or not the schools did more than act as an archway straddling their passage.

perpetuate illusion

The system becomes self-fulfilling, as parents all flock to get their children into what is perceived as the better school. The best students are then selected for the 'successful school' and continue to get the best results which perpetuates the illusion.

I am totally against moving children around to make some schools perform better. That should not be the purpose behind zoning. I agree entirely with the salient point made by 'Concerned Citizen' in his/her letter that "the public must know that it is not the school that matters. It's the initiative taken up by teachers, parents and students in education".

For this to happen, we must start placing students primarily on the basis of where it is most convenient for this collaborative process to take place, and stop treating them as academic athletes being drafted to win the CSEC trophy. This is the message that zoning would send to parents and students alike.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Why Campion full of oddah school uniforms at evening time ???

In my day certainly.. a nuff blue shirt yute did deh pon Campion campus.. and is not juss di Campion gyal dem did come fi look pon..

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
      Why Campion full of oddah school uniforms at evening time ???

In my day certainly.. a nuff blue shirt yute did deh pon Campion campus.. and is not juss di Campion gyal dem did come fi look pon..

Mi nuh know nutten bout dat... but whatever red herring you may be driving at is irrelevant to the argument. Mi nuh inna yuh Fish stories

Dis is how it set yutey:

1. 90% of Jamaica's schools are
      a. severely under-financed
      b. subject to a mediocre to very poor quality academic intake,
      c. have students from an anti-learning environment at home.. i.e.malformed home life and destitute/decadent communities
      d. have a backward 20th Century type education model (actually almost 100% have this backward focus)

2. If Jamaica's education is to be transformed... such schools must be transformed. This has to be done in an environment of severe budget restrictions

3. Since there is little money... the schools demonstrating the capacity to transform the cohort above to solid performers using the very moderate means at their disposal... those are by miles THE most valuable in the system. Whatever techniques they use to motivate and manage students to be successful...those should be studied and migrated to other schools in the disadvantaged 90%

Schools existing in a different socioeconomic universe have few lessons that mean anything much in practical terms to that 90%

Analyze dat yuteman an tap yuh ignorant idolatry of dysfunction for a minit

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Why parents send dem pickney to Campion extra-lessons ?

Fi di ambiance ?

Comment

I'm discussing systemic problems & systemic fixes...not irrelevant personal anecdotes

If yuh waan discuss dat... seek out others who may be interested

Comment

Why is Campion a good school to send your child ?

If yuh child pass for Campion but have JC as the second choice.. what is the prudent thing to do ?

Comment

You keep posing your silly questions in personal terms... are you really so limited?? You're so insecure and myopic that you believe my post is directed at a certain school?? Where did you learn how not to reason??

This is not about JC or Campion.. what I'm discussing is the system and policy options to fix it

Now take your limitations to others similarly disposed...they're quite a few around you can yap with

Comment

The writer has put forward flawed reasoning... his deductions and theory in at least ONE case is incorrect.

Campion, for example, did not magically become a school of academic excellence.. it did not advertise one day it was opening and all of a sudden viola the brightest flock there..

As a good citizen I am pointing out such.. you are free to either continue along the road to perdition or change course..

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
                  Finally an intelligent observation on Jamaica's education dysfunctionality

As I've said it is the schools which CONVERT mediocre or poor academic performers to good or excellent achievers which are the most valuable by far... not those which merely maintain the grades of the top primary level cohort they receive

It's puzzling how this obvious fact eludes so many

Establish School Zones To Achieve Academic Equality
                  Published: Wednesday | December 4, 2013
                  R. Howard Thompson, Guest Columnist

In this April 29 photograph, Wolmer's Girls' School students (from left) Khalilah Murdock, Fedora Bernard, Safiya Atkinson, Khadene Chatrie, and Oniela Bent pose for the camera. Wolmer's is a prominent all-girl high school in Kingston. - Norman Grindley/Chief Photographer

Whenever I write about the need for zoning our schools, as I do very often, there are always a number of people who assume that I am proposing it as a means of achieving social equality or some such nonsense. Those who have read my articles and letters over the years will recognise that I suggest zoning as a means of facilitating the education of students and nothing more.

It is clear that correspondent, John Reader, in his letter on Thursday, November 28, 2013, does not understand what zoning of schools means. In fact, he might be surprised to know that a type of zoning used to be practised in Jamaica years ago when the traditional high schools were almost all boarding schools.

I am quite aware of the fact that our traditional high schools were not built with that in mind and that their locations had to do with the land grants that were given by private endowments.

Nevertheless, there is no reason we should not create a system that encourages and even coerces parents into sending their wards to certain schools. The children from some parts of Portmore, for instance, could be zoned with those in the downtown area and be given a choice among the schools in that area.

There is no need, for instance, to send a child from the inner city all the way up to Immaculate because she got a hundred average in GSAT. She can do as well at Wolmer's Girls, Alpha Academy, Camperdown or any of the major traditional high schools in that area.

We convince ourselves that we are doing a wonderful thing when we do this, but ignore the plight of the child at Cassava Piece who must then go all the way below Cross Roads, or, as in a case I know of, to Oberlin in Lawrence Tavern .

I have suggested that students be offered incentives to go to schools near to them by giving them free education at those schools or at the lower cost. A child living in Mandeville, for instance, would pay very little or nothing to attend a high school in the region, but would be required to pay the full cost of their tuition if they insisted on attending Munro, Hampton, Glenmuir, Campion or Immaculate.

The problem with the present system is that it promotes certain illusions which parents have been sold. The first one is that parents do have a choice as to what schools their children will attend. Most parents do not.

The second one is that some schools are so much better than others, based on the empirical evidence of CSEC results. But this is merely an illusion of what Edward DeBono calls the Archway Effect.

Send the best students to certain schools, and out of them come successful scholars, while other schools which receive inferior students get less-impressive results without there being any way of knowing whether or not the schools did more than act as an archway straddling their passage.

perpetuate illusion

The system becomes self-fulfilling, as parents all flock to get their children into what is perceived as the better school. The best students are then selected for the 'successful school' and continue to get the best results which perpetuates the illusion.

I am totally against moving children around to make some schools perform better. That should not be the purpose behind zoning. I agree entirely with the salient point made by 'Concerned Citizen' in his/her letter that "the public must know that it is not the school that matters. It's the initiative taken up by teachers, parents and students in education".

For this to happen, we must start placing students primarily on the basis of where it is most convenient for this collaborative process to take place, and stop treating them as academic athletes being drafted to win the CSEC trophy. This is the message that zoning would send to parents and students alike.
                  Zoning will only work when schools can be assured that all the resources that they need will be provided by government and the community from which the students come from consists of a mixture people from every level of society.

If you send only downtown children to Wolmer's Girls then I can guarantee you that their fund raising would suffer because PTA members cannot make board level donation decisions. The academic standards would also fall (because the parents cannot afford to purchase educational tools and support.) Whenever, possible we need to mix rich and poor students. It is not possible to mix poor and rich at Charlie Smith but it is possible at Wolmer's.
                  The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

well since the article is NOT about Campion your opinion is an irrelevance

go forth and sing your personal sankeys... leave the required systemic fixes to those of us with a reform agenda aimed at the nation's best interest

Comment

And so we return to a fundamental principle..

"It takes Cash to Care..."

Comment

I could have sworn Campion was mentioned in the article..

His reasoning is flawed.. try and get around that..

The illusion that the writer is suffering from is that certain schools are good schools because they get 'bright' students..

Send 'bright' students to JC for example and si what happen !

Comment

ok you disagree with the zoning...but you agree the system is disfigured and dysfunctional... correct?

I'm solution oriented...not so much (in this discussion) focused on any particular school or personal anecdote.... so describe your preferred solution to Jamaica's education system please

Comment

Yup and we need Campion to remain an elitist school with a rich and powerful PTA. The best that we can do for the poor is to put a few bright poor students there so that they can benefit from the rich. Also keep making that Campion campus available for extra classes. That is the best way to share Campion resources.
                            Last edited by Time; December 4, 2013, 01:52 PM.
                            The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

The average budget allocation to education in Africa is 20%...

Anybody know what Jamaica's is ??

I understand a good chunk of the Bugdet is used to repay debt on 'important' projects such as the North Coast 'highway'.. personally I would have focused on an information highway.. kinda like what South Korea did...

I think we know what the solution is.. knowing a solution is one thing.. have the correct priority is an entirely different affair..

For an example of an good priority tree examine the Singapore model..

Comment

Working...
                              X