Timar's road to Rhodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timar's road to Rhodes

Anybody who holds on to the misguided belief that there is nothing they can do to make Jamaica a better place should read this message, particularly the moral of the story at the end:

There are many Timars out there. They need mentoring and opportunities. Let us not always bad talk our young people; let us find even one and encourage, support and build.

Dear Editor,
    I am sure both the attendant and the security guard must have thought I was crazy when I screamed loudly on seeing the lead stories in both of our daily newspapers. The announcement of Timar Jackson as the winner of this year's Rhode Scholarship was the cause of my unseemly public outburst.

Everyone has a story, they say, but Timar's story is extra special and, despite his humility and self-effacing nature, I feel compelled to tell this story. I believe it's worth telling.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lette...#ixzz2mREpeLfc
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

The bigotry with the so called esteemed establishment of Traditional High Schools. Imagine NINE distinctions and everybody full!

Dem favor F-A-R-T! If he was a dunce footballer or a dunce track man, everybody would have grabbed him, dem would be fighting over him.

Good luck to you Timar, go forth and shine brightly!!

Thank you Maxine for the letter. Thank you Mom for your love for your child
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

Did he not go to Ardenne? The other esteemed school up the road is Campion and them would take a 9 ones student in a heart beat over someone who play sports. LOL

Comment

I have to agree with Madme if he was a track or football star..they would be fighting for him,he and his mother fought for himself.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Based on what she is saying in the letter it sounds like they had to pull some strings though.

It really sound a way that the Minister of Education was having difficulty placing a youth with 9 CSEC ones in a top 6th form. One cannot help but think that it may have had something to do with his school or his home address. That would be sad if it was the case.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

That is exactly what we should expect when sports programs take priority over academic programs.

Who cares bout recruiting future scholars?

Comment

9 CSEC ones does not guarantee you a space in Campion 6th Form.....

You are competing against Campion 5th Formers who all have ones in their selected subjects...

Cannot speak for the other schools he could not get into...

Comment

He went to the ministry in August and ask them to get him into a 6th form for the start of September? Of course they have to pull string, that is what he asked them to do.

Which 6th forms could he not get into? before mi jump on the everyone fight the yute bandwagon, mi wouldn't mind get some more info about where/when/how he tried to get into another 6th form. Becuase he ended up going to Ardenne. Is only Campion left for the man to go any higher.

Comment

True, I would not single out Campion since they can say they are dealing with overwhelming demand and I don't even know if they were one of the schools the Minister contacted.

That said, can you think of a reasonable explanation for why "several" schools could not take him because they were full?

Comment

Because they already awarded places for their 6th form and the ministry is calling them in August after they have awarded the places?

Comment

Suh are you implying he went to the Ministry to pull strings soley to get into Ardenne ,possible ,glad im ave sense but ?
                      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

A reasonable explanation would be that they were full..

Comment

Well maybe the former Minister exaggerating the story or something. Me just find it hard fe understand someone at that level of govt having a problem getting a highly qualified youth in whichever public school even if the school year start.

Yes it would be good if someone would ask her for some clarification.

Comment

He sure wasn't asking them to pull strings to get him into Tarrant..

Comment

How many kids from Jones Town are enrolled at Campion?
                              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X