Jamaican English in Linux-based OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaican English in Linux-based OS

Translation underway to include Jamaican English in Linux-based operating system

STEVEN JACKSON Business reporter jacksons@jamaicaobserver.com
    Sunday, December 01, 2013

DEBIAN, a global computer operating system, aims to add Jamaican English, or Patois, to its installer in order to widen its coverage, according to the project translator, Michelle 'Afifa' Harris.
    Its the latest drive to represent the language in formal settings.

Michelle ‘Afifa’ Harris

1/1

"When you read the instructions to install software, a lot of time people do not understand what it says. You just press 'Next'. So [Patois] will bring a level of basic understanding to a technical process," she told the Observer in an interview at Cafe Blue in Kingston on Thursday.

Harris, a manager and doctoral student was selected by Debian as the only Jamaican to translate starting January.

It was part of a women in technology grant.

Harris indicated that offering the installer in Patois removes a linguistic disconnect.

Currently, the Debian software installer is in some 14 languages and website translations in some 36 languages. The project will use the term Jamaican English rather than Patois to describe the language.

"Thinking in Patois is different from thinking in English. So if you are operating in Patois it means that you are not switching modes all the time," reasoned Harris, who is currently programme manager for technology firm SlashRoots for project Code for Caribbean--an innovation fellowship in partnership.

Code for Caribbean is a partnership between SlashRoots, Mona School of Business and RADA.

Debian, an open source operating system, offers a free alternative to Windows or Apple systems.

It provides thousands of free software bundled for easy installation.
    It started over 20 years ago and is considered one of the most popular Linux operating systems.

Globally some five million speak Patois which equates to that of Norwegian, which by default receives language options in many programmes and softwares.

Local application developers are increasingly offering games and trivia in Patois, but its the first known instance of a global software company offering technical information in Patois.

"If I can translate this into my language I can make applications in my language. I can do everything in my language," philosophised Harris. "Having your own language is an important part of your liberation, your ability to navigate the world. Not having your own language prevents you from having your own voice."

The recent translation of the New testament Bible into Patois represents among the most formal settings of translation to date.
    "It is very political to do Patois," stated Harris, who is also a doctoral student researching developmental technology. "Translating the Bible was not about the Bible but about the Patois... about making people realise that your language can communicate important ideas. People do not have a problem with jokes in Patois, but if I want to write a piece on the theory of relationships, I must be in English."

The Debian translation project comes out of an Outreach for Women internship organised by the overseas-based GNOME Foundation with the support of overseas-based Red Hat. It seeks to get more women involved in technology by offering scores of paid and voluntary internships to as many software companies. Harris's remit along with other global interns was published on GNOME's page.

"Most software is in the main languages of the world but not our own. I have never seen anything technical in Patois. We do not acknowledge Patois as a serious language," she said.

Harris will also avoid using the academic Cassidy system which is based on phonetics. It was used to translate the Bible into Patois. However, Harris indicates that she prefers a sort of broken-English method.

"I will not use that system because to me it is unintelligible. Cassidy is problematic. I want to try to see translating the way I talk. If someone else wants to later use the Cassidy and call it whatever, then fine."

She verbally opined that 'give the name of your domain host and click next to begin partitioning' could translate as "giv' me di name o di people dem weh a give yu internet access and press next so we can separate di disc".
    Harris recently submitted her doctoral thesis but will also translate it into Patois.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...#ixzz2mIqk4gzD

Oh Lord! I hope Jawge is very busy today!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

kiss teet...rubbish...

Comment

Mi caan tek people with nose rings!
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by world fan View Post
          Translation underway to include Jamaican English in Linux-based operating system

STEVEN JACKSON Business reporter jacksons@jamaicaobserver.com
          Sunday, December 01, 2013

DEBIAN, a global computer operating system, aims to add Jamaican English, or Patois, to its installer in order to widen its coverage, according to the project translator, Michelle 'Afifa' Harris.
          Its the latest drive to represent the language in formal settings.

Michelle ‘Afifa’ Harris

1/1

"When you read the instructions to install software, a lot of time people do not understand what it says. You just press 'Next'. So [Patois] will bring a level of basic understanding to a technical process," she told the Observer in an interview at Cafe Blue in Kingston on Thursday.

Harris, a manager and doctoral student was selected by Debian as the only Jamaican to translate starting January.

It was part of a women in technology grant.

Harris indicated that offering the installer in Patois removes a linguistic disconnect.

Currently, the Debian software installer is in some 14 languages and website translations in some 36 languages. The project will use the term Jamaican English rather than Patois to describe the language.

"Thinking in Patois is different from thinking in English. So if you are operating in Patois it means that you are not switching modes all the time," reasoned Harris, who is currently programme manager for technology firm SlashRoots for project Code for Caribbean--an innovation fellowship in partnership.

Code for Caribbean is a partnership between SlashRoots, Mona School of Business and RADA.

Debian, an open source operating system, offers a free alternative to Windows or Apple systems.

It provides thousands of free software bundled for easy installation.
          It started over 20 years ago and is considered one of the most popular Linux operating systems.

Globally some five million speak Patois which equates to that of Norwegian, which by default receives language options in many programmes and softwares.

Local application developers are increasingly offering games and trivia in Patois, but its the first known instance of a global software company offering technical information in Patois.

"If I can translate this into my language I can make applications in my language. I can do everything in my language," philosophised Harris. "Having your own language is an important part of your liberation, your ability to navigate the world. Not having your own language prevents you from having your own voice."

The recent translation of the New testament Bible into Patois represents among the most formal settings of translation to date.
          "It is very political to do Patois," stated Harris, who is also a doctoral student researching developmental technology. "Translating the Bible was not about the Bible but about the Patois... about making people realise that your language can communicate important ideas. People do not have a problem with jokes in Patois, but if I want to write a piece on the theory of relationships, I must be in English."

The Debian translation project comes out of an Outreach for Women internship organised by the overseas-based GNOME Foundation with the support of overseas-based Red Hat. It seeks to get more women involved in technology by offering scores of paid and voluntary internships to as many software companies. Harris's remit along with other global interns was published on GNOME's page.

"Most software is in the main languages of the world but not our own. I have never seen anything technical in Patois. We do not acknowledge Patois as a serious language," she said.

Harris will also avoid using the academic Cassidy system which is based on phonetics. It was used to translate the Bible into Patois. However, Harris indicates that she prefers a sort of broken-English method.

"I will not use that system because to me it is unintelligible. Cassidy is problematic. I want to try to see translating the way I talk. If someone else wants to later use the Cassidy and call it whatever, then fine."

She verbally opined that 'give the name of your domain host and click next to begin partitioning' could translate as "giv' me di name o di people dem weh a give yu internet access and press next so we can separate di disc".
          Harris recently submitted her doctoral thesis but will also translate it into Patois.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...#ixzz2mIqk4gzD
          Crap! Any Jamaican who is installing an operating system should know English. We taking this Patois crap too far. Its time to ban it in schools except for drama.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Its time to ban it in schools except for drama.
            Well if we do that we would be running a lot of schools for mutes in JA!
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I cant understand the ignorance towards patios ? we verse in it everyday ,why would anyone proclaim a ban , or deny documentation or promotion of it in any form, if it stands to elevate the masses or nation then why not ?

That said my grouse is based on the principle that to promote it for use in the corporate world as a means of communication isnt feasible because the corporate world is an international sphere.

I agree that it should be taught as an ESL ,where ever required , and that has proven to be a success in the states for immigrants and those born here in the states.I dont believe we have the resources to accomplish this, so to me doing it would be a waste of valuable resources.

We need to be rational and not sit on sides of fear.If we look at it from a literacy point of view they both have their place in Jamaica and have no choice but to co exist,like they have been doing for centuries before and to come.
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Good post X.

I have no problem with debate or disagreement on whether using patwa as a tool for learning standard English would work, but we do need to accept the reality that it is the everyday language of our people and that will not change any time soon.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

and if WE don't do it, then like reggae, weed and other stuff we will let persons other than us idenitfy the value and thereafter define it ....

we need to own our stuff .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Agreed, thats the billion dollar cost of the hippo or colonial mentality, everything is wrapped in perception ! to not do anything or in some instances,totally disregard progressives.
                    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Should the Gullah people ban their language too?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

saw it again when WADA came after us, it was Diack who first lick out against them although all the information was already out there in respect of how frequently jamaican athletes were being tested.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Boy both you and Btop just stole my thunder. I was going to have fun with them. Ah well, another time

Comment

Don't worry, Jawge! I hear it's actually an early April Fool's joke! Heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Built in escape hatch. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X