Interesting stuff about Killing Me Softly song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting stuff about Killing Me Softly song

According to Lori Lieberman, the artist who performed the original recording in 1972, the song was born of a poem she wrote after experiencing a strong reaction to the song "Empty Chairs," written, composed, and recorded by Don McLean.[3] She then related this information to Norman Gimbel, who took her feelings and put them into words. Then, Gimbel passed the words on to Fox, who set them to music.[4]

Lieberman was the first to record Fox and Gimbel's song in late 1971, releasing it in early 1972.[8] Helen Reddy has said she was sent the song, but "the demo... sat on my turntable for months without being played because I didn't like the title."[9]

Roberta Flack first heard the song on a flight from Los Angeles to New York City on which the Lieberman original was featured on the in-flight audio program. After scanning the listing of available audio selections, Flack would recall: "The title, of course, smacked me in the face. I immediately pulled out some scratch paper, made musical staves [then] play[ed] the song at least eight to ten times jotting down the melody that I heard.... When I landed, I immediately called Quincy [Jones] at his house and asked him how to meet Charles Fox. Two days later I had the music." Shortly afterwards Flack rehearsed the song with her band in the Tuff Gong Studios in Kingston JA but did not then record it.[10]

In September 1972, Flack was opening for Marvin Gaye at the Greek Theater; after performing her prepared encore song, Flack was advised by Gaye to sing an additional song. Flack - "I said well, I got this song I’ve been working on called 'Killing Me Softly...' and he said 'Do it, baby.' And I did it and the audience went crazy, and he walked over to me and put his arm around me and said, 'Baby, don’t ever do that song again live until you record it.'"[11]

Released in January 1973, Flack's version spent a total of five non-consecutive weeks at number-one in February and March 1973, being bumped to number 2 by the O'Jays' "Love Train" after four straight weeks atop the Billboard Hot 100. Charles Fox suggested that Flack's version was successful while Lieberman's was not because Flack's "version was faster and she gave it a strong backbeat that wasn't in the original."[5] According to Flack: "My classical background made it possible for me to try a number of things with [the song's arrangement]. I changed parts of the chord structure and chose to end on a major chord. [The song] wasn't written that way."[12]

Flack later won the 1973 Grammy Award for Record of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Female Performer and also took the Song of the Year Grammy.

In 1999 Flack's version was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.[13] It also ranked #360 on Rolling Stone's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and #82 on Billboard's Greatest Songs of all time.[14]

BLACK LIVES MATTER

To just think, this great song almost never made it to the airwaves! And then it went on to become #82 on Billboard's Greatest Songs. Would the Fugees have found it if Flack did not record it?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Interesting Post From You

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
      According to Flack: "My classical background made it possible for me to try a number of things with [the song's arrangement]. I changed parts of the chord structure and chose to end on a major chord. [The song] wasn't written that way."[/B][14]
      This quote (above) encapsulates all that I’ve been saying these past several years, but some posters here (no person will be named) have, instead, chosen to defend the lowest common denominator of music.

By the way, Mo, switching the subject slightly, I noticed your recent attacks on our premier classical pianist Orrett Rhoden.

But on a wider scale, my sympathetic recognition of of music appreciation shortcomings amongst far too many Jamaicans remains the same.

Comment

Re: The Fugees

To just think, this great song almost never made it to the airwaves! And then it went on to become #82 on Billboard's Greatest Songs. Would the Fugees have found it if Flack did not record it?!
        Does anyone not of Haitian background seriously care about your question relating to “....would the Fugees have found it?” When all is said and done, all that the Fugees’ version of “Killing Me Softly” did was launch the later careers of two member of that trio: Lauryn Hill and Wyclef Jean.

Aside from that, why should we really care that the Fugees discovered it?

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          This quote (above) encapsulates all that I’ve been saying these past several years, but some posters here (no person will be named) have, instead, chosen to defend the lowest common denominator of music.

By the way, Mo, switching the subject slightly, I noticed your recent attacks on our premier classical pianist Orrett Rhoden.

But on a wider scale, my sympathetic recognition of of music appreciation shortcomings amongst far too many Jamaicans remains the same.

Oh, go ahead and name me!

Attacks on Orrett Rhoden? Well, perhaps, but if you listen to him speak, one cannot help but feel that this guy believes his path should be lined with gold before he begins his perambulation. It's like how one may despise those of us who would use a 13 letter word when "walk" would suffice!

But I was careful not to be too harsh with the fellow. At least, I think so.

Remember, Historian, I was playing the piano for a few years before I went to high school, so I do appreciate that art. And then I found sports! Can you really kill me for that! I do have a silver medal in T&F to show for it after all!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We should care because the sad truth about it is if you mention that song to anyone younger than 35 years old, Haitian or not, they wouldn't even know that Roberta Flack made it famous long before the Fugees. In fact, they would say, Roberta who?

But we will always have to deal with such things.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I Get Your Point

We should care because the sad truth about it is if you mention that song to anyone younger than 35 years old, Haitian or not, they wouldn't even know that Roberta Flack made it famous long before the Fugees. In fact, they would say, Roberta who?

But we will always have to deal with such things.
              So, what is the importance of someone under the age of 35 knowing about the original recording? And wouldn’t your statement apply as well to individuals under the age of 35 knowing almost nothing about Sam Cooke, Solomon Burke, Brook Benton, Jackie Wilson, the Platters, etc?

Young adult North Americans and Jamaicans know very little about the history of anything, in any case! As far as under-35 Jamaicans are concerned, this is particularly ironic because those “young Jamaicans” are the first to raise the Jamaican flag at the slightest chance! But, aside from Usain and Shelly-Ann, do they know anything about what they are praising?

But back to your statement: To cut a long story short, I will NOT blame media for any lack of knowledge in this case, as the Jamaican media has often played Roberta Flack’s version!

Comment

For the longest while I have thought the song was written by Paul Anka

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Respect, Sah

Remember, Historian, I was playing the piano for a few years before I went to high school, so I do appreciate that art. And then I found sports! Can you really kill me for that! I do have a silver medal in T&F to show for it after all!
                  Much respect, Sir Mo (this new name has a catchy ring, doesn’t it?).

By the way, Rhoden is indeed quite pompous at times (lol).

Comment

"flamboyant" even..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      "flamboyant" even..
                      So true.

Comment

What Year?

Comment

Why? he was much off the scene as I recall.

Comment

I was doing some research on that song and I could have sworn there was a connection....

Comment

Working...
                            X