• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Reasons Jamaican Culture Is the Most Popular Per Capita

5 Reasons Jamaican Culture Is the Most Popular Per Capita

November 28, 2013 | Posted by Jay M.

Jamaican Patois becoming the youth language of choice in larger countries
    In some parts of England and Toronto Canada, a dialect heavy with Jamaican and Afro-Caribbean inflections is being spoken by a significant portion of the youth population. British linguists are calling it “multicultural youth English,” or MYE. Jamaican Creole, or JamC , what the academics are now calling the patois native to Jamaica, has become the dialect employed not just by the children of Jamaican immigrants, but also by second-generation West Indians of other national origins (i.e. of Trinidadian, Grenadian, Guyanese, etc. parentage) and simultaneously by Black youth of various African heritage. For British-born, urban Black people, JamC became a code used as a marker of Black identity with sociolinguistic functions similar to African-American vernacular English in the United States.

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/11/...ar-per-capita/

BLACK LIVES MATTER

This is nice reading Mr President,thanks.
    Our leaders and the powers that be have failed us.
    Every Jamaican has a sense of self importance ,it seems genetic and substantiated.This is what is missing to a remote few(hi me fellow yardman HL),primarily of the diaspora.Raise de flag!
    Last edited by Rockman; November 30, 2013, 01:36 AM.

Comment

~sigh~

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yes, kind of interesting, kind of flattering until you realize that Jamaica is at the junction of the biggest cultural vortex in the world sitting right at the heart of the interface of the two greatest English speaking countries which dominate the world cultural scene, our continued migration to both nations over the past 100 years have been cultural spears of influence in the heart of those cultures. The rise of back to Africa, garveyism and rastafari from late 19th century to now has consolidated that unusual influence as with the global media explosion we are merely seeing those deep roots and connections being fully realized.

Thus if France had bested Britain and consolidated it's hold over North America versus the British then the Americans. Then France and Quebec would be the centre of that world culture vortex and Haiti would be jamaica in that world and we would probably be What Haiti is in a English dominated world, almost a non existent cultural factor.

So truly not as big as we would like to think, when we start taking advantage of where we sit in that vortex and start making some money then we can start taking some pride until then we are underachieving at a wicked rate.

Anyway, I have been watching a couple of English working class movies on Netflix and one yesterday a five year old white boy calls a forty year old man a b....bwai, I was in shock, I had to play it back twice to see if that is what the little youth actually said!

Comment

Check out anuvahood
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

phoneshop
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFlPxIxmego
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-ZYmoKD2nI

Comment

I would put the scene I talked about in, but it is pretty bad and in pretty poor taste as well. The movie is Wild Bill if you want to check it yourself.

Comment

Kid is white..comedy ....bun dis and bun dat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXxFjCByM8Y
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
                X