X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazie here is some info on Education funding

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=2220

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1855826.html

Now you can understand why most Americans will not blink an eye about Christie cutting education budget.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=2220

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1855826.html

Now you can understand why most Americans will not blink an eye about Christie cutting education budget.
    Sass, I do not care what is happening in other states, I know what is happening in the state that I live. Early in his tenure he focked up and caused the state to lose 500 M from the fed govt and started blaming Obama. How would that funding have helped the various districts?

Americans my choose not to say anything when the cuts take place, but then when the data shows that American students are falling behind other countries, then you, Islandman, Christie, Obama and the others start with the crocodile tears.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

And your solution to this complex problem is simple:

"Mo money! Double it! If that don't work, triple it! If that don't work. quadruple it! "

Ah bwoy. Well I guess I have worked on enough projects to know that simply throwing money and resources at a complex problem is often not the solution and in fact frequently makes said problem even worse.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Lazie stop get emotional. I was a volunteer teacher my first job out of high school. my family full up a teacher starting with my mother, and the many others she help. I have at least 5 cousins and some very good friends in the teaching professional. One of my mom's best friend is still a principal.

I taught two years at the community college level part time and other professional courses. Not to mention I worked 12 years in higher Ed and 2 years at the K-12 school district.

Many of the teachers can point to where cuts can take place. It is not a wholesome game. Money is not the only factor which affects education and everybody is going through cuts right now. You talking bout teachers making lesson plans etc. Isn't that compensated for them getting a longer summer off and a shorter day than most professional?

Who is snubbing their nose and looking down at teachers. If you want your kid to get a better education, go and help in the classroom, help your PTA to raise more funds and spend some of your extra time with your kids.

The reality is governments have to make tough decisions about education funding.
        Last edited by Assasin; November 5, 2013, 12:10 PM.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          And your solution to this complex problem is simple:

"Mo money! Double it! If that don't work, triple it! If that don't work. quadruple it! "

Ah bwoy. Well I guess I have worked on enough projects to know that simply throwing money and resources at a complex problem is often not the solution and in fact frequently makes said problem even worse.
          Well, there is one computer in a class of 20 students and each student needs to login and work for their progress to be monitored. The computer in another 2nd grade class keeps hanging. What you propose then, suck out the rest of the funding?
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I propose reviewing the system and finding out where all the money that is spent is going before pouring even more money down a black hole of inefficiency.

Has public education become more efficient over the past 40 years? Most schools are teaching the way it was done 100 years ago. Is that still the best way? What does the research show? Should failing students be off for 2 months in the summer only to come back behind where they were in June?

Why do so many traditional educators dislike new developments like Khan Academy which proposes a different approach to 21st century education? Why are they afraid of change? Is it possible that we do not need as many teachers per student as we did 50 years ago, at least in some situations?
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

How did that happen in the first place. First there maybe some grants that the school can get other than regular budget. I have been involved in some.

Secondly schools should plan and computers should be a line item with warranty. Dell and HP offers warranty on labor and parts up to 5 years so if it is a hardware problem they can be fixed with a telephone call. Otherwise you can just re-image that PC.

Lazie we all have to think of productivity in a time like now, teachers are no different from anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                I propose reviewing the system and finding out where all the money that is spent is going before pouring even more money down a black hole of inefficiency.

Has public education become more efficient over the past 40 years? Most schools are teaching the way it was done 100 years ago. Is that still the best way? What does the research show? Should failing students be off for 2 months in the summer only to come back behind where they were in June?

Why do so many traditional educators dislike new developments like Khan Academy which proposes a different approach to 21st century education? Why are they afraid of change? Is it possible that we do not need as many teachers per student as we did 50 years ago, at least in some situations?
                I have no problem reviewing, but that isn't happening, Straight cut ... better yet ... suck all a di funding. What can a district duh wid $1? You need to get the facts .... put down the "I LOVE CHRISTIE" pom pom.

Comment

Working...
                X