No announcement yet.

Maggotty High School Lewdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes that is true Peter, but gurantee this is done all over Jamaica. I remember one night I was hustling throw a political meeting in Sam Sharp square, trying to get from home to a hotel in my tie etc. and amongst the crowd came a fine look young lady saying "come wine up on labourite PUUM PUUM.

She was surprised when I looked under the cap and saw that I knew her from St.Ann, she almost melted, not that I didn't want to bruk a whine but time and place. The students are not doing nothing that the adult aren't doing in public spaces.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Jesus wept.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        The students are not doing nothing that the adult aren't doing in public spaces.
        Because adults do something, it's ok for children to do it?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Taking a wine back in those days, I'm sure didn't mean you turned the girl over like she was a wheel barrow and you pushing it... at least not from what I remember... I came from the rent a tile (12 x 12) generation.

Having said that i will agree with you to the extent that the "minders" of the children are doing a worse job than ever...
          Peter R

Comment

No but if many of the adults doing it in public and other approves, it makes it harder to tell a kid that it is not accepted. First she going to say is "Auntie Pam and uncle Tom do it, and her little cousin and friend doing it, so it must be something wrong with you because society approves.

it makes it so much harder.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
              Karl I'm not making excuses. I'm going by what's on the video. Fact: adults were present.

To bring the point home: Karl tell me what would happen if you set up a sound system near a high school and start playing music (and having alcoholic beverages being served). Kids from ten to sixteen attend and start drinking and dancing. Karl do you think any action would be taken against the kids or the index would be shifted to you the adult with all kinds of charges? Karl address that question, that's all I'm asking. Thanks.
              That would never be me.
              ...and sure those adults should be hauled to boot.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

(Re)Focus How We Discipline Students

(Re)Focus How We Discipline Students
                Published: Thursday | October 31, 2013 1 Comment
                By Jaevion Nelson

Every so often a picture or video of students having sex, fighting, or gyrating goes viral and incite very emotional responses about indiscipline and misconduct among our young people. Some of us are repulsed by the images and some of us are actually enthralled by students in their uniform, carrying on - unperturbed by the glaring eyes of a judgemental public - on school compounds, buses, restaurants, and other public spaces.

This makes many of us uncomfortable (although we often implicitly encourage these behaviours) and we quiver in anxiety as we beseech a gullible public to save our children and protect them from plunging further into moral depravity.

The situation seems to be out of control now(?). The transport centre in Half-Way Tree (St Andrew) has allegedly been transformed into a "haven for sex, fights and robberies". Students are fighting and robbing their peers and adults. They are refusing to go to school to, among other things, cruise around in 'party buses'. They disobey their parents, teachers and even the police! What on earth is happening to our children? What on earth are parents teaching their children?

The concerns heightened last week subsequent to a video of students (girls and boys) of Maggotty High in St Elizabeth gyrating and grinding to popular dancehall music. Not surprisingly, it raises many questions about what parents, educators, school administrators and other relevant persons are doing to address this lewd, filthy, crude, and ostentatious display. I must admit I too was saddened by what I saw. I sunk in despair as I watched the video. I suspect my reaction is because there were so many of them - all in their uniform - without any care whatsoever but I do not subscribe to the practice of banishing these future leaders with negative comments about their "gross portrayal of their humanity".

Instilling 'discipline'

This makes me very tense because the popularity of these viral images seemingly cause us to retreat to ill-advised and ineffective ways of instilling 'discipline' as well as serenade them with negativity.

I am not one to pretend the students' behaviour is new; it's just more accessible given we are far more technologically advanced. This is not to say we must not find ways to curb indiscipline and (better) encourage orderliness and 'good' conduct before it is too late. But we shouldn't expect young people - students or not - to dance any differently than we adults do. Do you really expect them to do the 'Butterfly' and 'Bogle' to a 'Daggering song'? Come on, let's be real!

The principal's (of Maggotty High) response is even more frightening than the video, which we now know was recorded in 2011. According to news reports, the principal intends to suspend student(s) who were in the video and are still enrolled at the institution. What? Really? Suspension?! I doubt they can identify the majority of students in the video, but that's beside the point. I continue to question the use of suspension and expulsion, which are ineffective methods of disciplining students (see 'Stop Suspending Students', October 3, 2013 http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...leisure3.html). Can the school even suspend the students for dancing in their uniform?

No power to suspend

Based on my research, Section 30(1) of The Education Regulations of 1980 give principals power to suspend students for a period not exceeding 10 days if:

(1) in the principal's opinion the student conduct 'is of such a nature that his presence in that institution is having or is likely to have a detrimental effect on the discipline of the institution;' and

(2) the student 'commits any act which causes injury to any member of staff or to any other student in that institution.'

Importantly, Section 30(7) advises that a student can only be suspended or expelled in special cases. The act explicitly states that 'Except in special cases (my emphasis), a student shall only be suspended or excluded from a public educational institution after other efforts have been made to effect an improvement in the conduct of the student.' Is this video recorded from 2011 a special case?

Truthfully, there is no one way to deal with this but the suggestions to punish these students to send a strong message to other students that this kind of behaviour is unacceptable is overwhelming. I suspect much of this is a consequence of how we romanticise corporal punishment in Jamaica. I doubt who we are today has much to do with the beating, thumping, kicking, tying up, etc., that we experienced at the hands of our parents, caregivers and teachers. In fact, perhaps our draconian ways of instilling discipline is why we are in the (negative) position that we are as a nation, especially where disorder, lawlessness and crime and violence are concerned.

An alternative to suspension that Maggotty High might consider using is what is called Positive Behavioural Interventions and Support, which seeks to 'teach students appropriate behaviours that promote academic and social engagement'.

Let's create structured behaviour plan programmes that can actually help and support our young people rather than cast them aside and leave them to become 'problems' that we will grapple with in another few years. Let us refocus how we discipline our young people.

Jaevion Nelson is a youth development, HIV and human rights advocate. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com and jaevion@gmail.com.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure3.html
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

All this long azz debate over the obvious?

It look outright satanic to me.

Comment

Comment

Willi there is a time for everything. Why must politics dominate most of your posts? JLP would come in and all the morals would be set straight in Ja? Remember this happened in 2011.

Comment

Karl at no time I meant it that way. I just said "you" to bring the point home in order for you to see where I'm coming from.

The argument you posted below would be relevant to teenagers having a party to themselves and acting out similar to the video. I think Ja's caste system would surface if it happened in say Russell Heights as opposed to a home in Maggotty. Russel heights would be get a slap on their hands whilst Maggotty would be told how lewd, and disgusting they are. I don't think it's just poor kids from Magotty dance that way. I'm sure the girls from the middle class neighborhoods (similar to Russell Heights) do too.

Comment

and the adults that were present walk away without blame. I guess when the 13 and 14 year olds get pregnant by these grown men it's the little girl's fault. Dem too damn an outah ordah, ah tek man fram such a young age. Is dem go sleep wid di man dem. Ja needs to review its laws and the way they look at things.

Tell those men come to NY or any of the tri state area and try that shite and see who goes to jail.

Comment

Di whole a dem.

YUH see mi ah exempt anyone there? There is no divide and conquer…I see a clear cesspool of blight.

The whole scene was an abomination, clear spiritual degeneracy in full flight.

Is suh people get blaze now that the obvious gets overlooked? Panic bells should be ringing!

Comment

Stranded in an over-sexed age Barbara GLOUDON Friday, Nov

Stranded in an over-sexed age

Barbara GLOUDON

Friday, November 01, 2013

In the afternoon of National Heroes Day, I was on my way home after partaking in some of the homage-paying. At the entranceway to a community which still bears the title of "Capture-land", although the residents have gone a long way towards making it more organised, I ran into as strange a scene as you could imagine.

A group of girls in their late teens, from the community, was staging a dance competition in the road. Bras and panties were the dress of the day. Competitors had to be able to disconnect and reconnect various parts of the body -- or so it seemed -- in a spirited contest of bump and grind. This earned the approval and admiration of the adults who stood by, cheering and urging on the contestants.

Suddenly, one girl leapt out of the group and flung herself onto the bonnet of a car which had come down the road. Her action forced the driver to hit the brakes and wait to see what was happening. The girl didn't miss a beat. Having landed, she proceeded to subject the bonnet to what can only be described as sexual assault. Nothing was left to the imagination.

The bonnet held up under the attack. The driver and the female passenger beside him appeared as stunned as I was. He stood on the brakes, recognising the consequences if he made the slightest wrong move. If he did, the dancer would have been flung to the ground, which certainly would have brought a hostile crowd reaction. So he held steady as the girl proceeded to "dagger" the car bonnet. It did not complain as the girl "worked her show". The audience went wild. Motorists who were trapped by the crowd could only watch and wait. Eventually, the girl descended to ground level to continue her gyrations.

The driver then eased off the brake and carefully took his exit. Other drivers edged just as carefully past the writhing bodies which, by then, were in control of the road. Up to then, not one adult had come forward to issue a word of disapproval or caution. If anyone had spoken, the word most likely would have been "Mek de young people dem enjoy demself".

The strange experience came to mind earlier this week with the current "oh, dear" story of students in a rural high school which has garnered global attention, via Facebook (what else?), for their graphic performances; once called "slackness" until academe proclaimed it "a nuh nutten".

That the video of the event involving some Maggotty Hill School studnets has been shown on YouTube is no surprise. It is hard to resist exhibiting yourself to millions of fellow idlers, who have nothing to do each day but to seek attention, no matter how grotesque. It has been reported that YouTube has over 540 million active monthly users. It is certain that many Jamaicans are among them. More of us have taken to living by this new creed to go from being an unknown product of a backwoods community, to being one of millions seeking notoriety through global exposure, even if you have to "do slackness" to get attention.

I am sorry for the teachers and parents of some students and children who let them down with leggo-beast behaviour. School is supposed to represent high hopes for the future. Our "yute" are getting more affirmation and encouragement than at any other time in our history, and yet far too many continue to exercise poor judgement in some of the things they do. The activities and achievements of young people are given pre-eminence in every branch of the news media. So how do we reach the ones who seem to believe that it doesn't matter what you do, even if ultimately you will be ashamed when you come to your senses?

For the parents who sacrifice daily in the hopes of their children getting a brighter future, it must be confusing and heartbreaking. Not all parents are guilty, but some refuse to accept the truth that their little darlings are no angels and in need of guidance. Some parents -- younger ones -- also worship at the shrine of YouTube every day. They can hardly point the finger of blame as their offspring stumble on without guidance.

We should be cautious, of course, about generalising. Not all students are sex-obsessed time wasters. Not all parents are lacking in honouring their responsibilities. Not everyone in communities aids and abets young persons in degrading behaviour. Unfortunately, there are the exceptions. What we need is balance. This calls for persons brave enough to speak and act to create a positive U-turn for tomorrow's citizens, to bring the much-needed changes that we moan about every day.

Who is more aggressive when it comes to initiating sexual activity in the teen years -- girls or boys? When I asked the question of a group at a certain boys' high school, the answer was "Girls!". According to the boys, girls can be very aggressive with their demands for "action". The boy who declines an offer must be prepared for the news to be passed around that he is gay. No guy wants to risk that. "So, when a girl decides that you're the one, you'd better know what you're doing", one boy said.

To hear now that some of our young males, not yet fully grown, are seeking out performance-enhanceing drugs sold by dishonest dispensers of pharmaceuticals, is to face an ugly reality. We're stranded in an over-sexed age. Next question: Have any of our young students paid attention to the warnings about the lethal side effects -- even death -- which misuse of sex-enhancement drugs can bring?

Federal laws in America force the makers and advertisers of such drugs to tell the public what dire situations could result. Do not expect our dishonest dispensers to enlighten their clients, of whatever age, so who will do the education? When our young men play sex roulette with their lives it shouldn't be treated with the stupid response that "boys will be boys". Boys can die for stupid reasons. This is one for public health consideration and parental concern.

WORD TO THE WISE: I thought that we had pretty much controlled the HIV/AIDS epidemic to the point where we didn't have as much to worry about it as in the past. Wrong! One day last week I met a representative of a non-governmental group, Eve for life, which works across the island with teenage mothers who have HIV/AIDS. The news wasn't good. The numbers of such cases are climbing up once again. Perhaps our youths have stopped listening to life-saving advice because they think they know everything?

gloudonb@yahoo.com

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz2jbC0VdRe

Comment

That's exactly what it is - slackness and leggo-beast behaviour, aided and abetted by adults.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X