X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love the story in this song. Like a good

story, it has a structure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1g9O9yPiLM
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Whatever....

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
    I’m not sure what you mean by “it has a structure.” (I cannot recall ever hearing a recording that doesn’t have some form of structure.)

Nevertheless, I must ask you this question, Lazie: Do men also pass on the HIV virus to women?

A second question: Considering the multiplicity of abuses faced by young women in Jamaica, are men MORE responsible for passing on the HIV virus to women (when compared with the other way around)?

You see, my friend, this recording is the typical dancehall sexist venture where the villain is ALWAYS the woman. In fact, the entire focus of Jey Marc’s third-rate “Use A Condom” video is on the woman (despite the obligatory inclusion of the brief line, “a him she get it from”).

This biased, sexist message of causation by women is well supported by the inclusion in the video of the scantily-clad woman. Is not this attitude by Jey Marc typical of the male chauvinist approach to young girls and young women in the inner city areas of Kingston and St Andrew and also in rural communities, where females are constantly subjected to rape and other forms of abuse by men?

Rarely is there any sincere, prolonged outcry to abuse against women. Yet this so-called recording artist comes out with a product in which he alludes that women are the sole source of STDs!!

The sad part is that totally necessary and relevant human rights organizations such as, to name one, Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) are too overwhelmed with other atrocities, including regular questionable homicides, to find the time to address the atrocities suffered by so many young women.

I cannot share your enthusiasm over this particular recording!!

Comment

if that is one man's story or experience then that is uniquely HIS story and if he chooses to share it then he calls the shots when writing it.

would you feel different if you knew or thought that it was based on specific facts?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

His Story Is An unique story. Leave Lazie mek him tell it.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Nothing Unique!!!!

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          if that is one man's story or experience then that is uniquely HIS story and if he chooses to share it then he calls the shots when writing it.

would you feel different if you knew or thought that it was based on specific facts?
          Here we go again.

Gamma, please read once again what I wrote! This is what I wrote in my post: “You see, my friend, this recording is the typical dancehall sexist venture where the villain is ALWAYS the woman.” Would you want me to post an exhaustive list of examples this coming weekend?

Maybe I give a certain wrong impression in my writing here, but trust me, I know about the reggae and dancehall culture! Do not allow my only occasional posts to make you think otherwise!!

Comment

Live how Historian drape up Lazie still.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
              I’m not sure what you mean by “it has a structure.” (I cannot recall ever hearing a recording that doesn’t have some form of structure.)

Nevertheless, I must ask you this question, Lazie: Do men also pass on the HIV virus to women?

A second question: Considering the multiplicity of abuses faced by young women in Jamaica, are men MORE responsible for passing on the HIV virus to women (when compared with the other way around)?

You see, my friend, this recording is the typical dancehall sexist venture where the villain is ALWAYS the woman. In fact, the entire focus of Jey Marc’s third-rate “Use A Condom” video is on the woman (despite the obligatory inclusion of the brief line, “a him she get it from”).

This biased, sexist message of causation by women is well supported by the inclusion in the video of the scantily-clad woman. Is not this attitude by Jey Marc typical of the male chauvinist approach to young girls and young women in the inner city areas of Kingston and St Andrew and also in rural communities, where females are constantly subjected to rape and other forms of abuse by men?

Rarely is there any sincere, prolonged outcry to abuse against women. Yet this so-called recording artist comes out with a product in which he alludes that women are the sole source of STDs!!

The sad part is that totally necessary and relevant human rights organizations such as, to name one, Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) are too overwhelmed with other atrocities, including regular questionable homicides, to find the time to address the atrocities suffered by so many young women.

I cannot share your enthusiasm over this particular recording!!

Historian, I would telling you're wrong but as I understood in literature class there can be more than one interpretation to a story.

You are going overboard my friend. He is telling the story from his POV. He was clean, made the anaconda go for dive without the protective gear and after 'coming' to his senses he realized the mistake he made. How you interpret that as abuse of women?

I appreciated the story in that he had a beginning and the end when he got the result from the doctor. As Icona Pop said, "I don't care .... I Love it!"

We can disagree Historian, i would tell you to listen to the story again, doubt you will though.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I actually agree with you, Lazie. And Gamma.

I fully understand what Historian is saying though, just that it may not apply here. We do have a chauvinistic way to look at this problem. But in this case, the man is simply telling a personal story. Clearly, he is not the type to sleep around and that's why when he does have unprotected sex him fret nuh baxside!

Historian, I think you are over-reacting a little. Just a little!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

what if that is HIS story?!

anyway .... we can all be opaque at times ..... and each person is entitled to his opinion

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yuh conflicted eh? yuh love how Historian drape lazie but yuh agree wid lazie ... what a lalah!!

Comment

It is said PJ once said he will not do anything proposed by the JLP solely because then he would be follow fashioned.Portia in becoming the leader of the PNP stated she is going to keep an eye on the JLP(seemingly to the dislike of Lazie).Just merely entering the JLP leadership race,a veteran cadidate(Shaw) for the JLP literally threatened the PNP in declaring he will be its worse nightmare(not a word from Lazie).
                      Holness spoke of taking the bitter pill,it seems the pill is insignificant,it is all about who is giving it.
                      Portia in her bid for leadership was treated unfairly;said to be of the wrong cloth despite our terrible history of having leaders of the right cloth.
                      She is following the IMF programme,yet George Davis saw it fit to choose her as the sore thumb?
                      If he was beng sexist then.....
                      Last edited by Rockman; October 18, 2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                        It is said PJ once said he will do anything proposed by the JLP solely because then he would be follow fashioned.Portia in becoming the leader of the PNP stated she is going to keep an eye on the JLP(seemingly to the dislike of Lazie).Just merely entering the JLP leadership race,a veteran cadidate(Shaw) for thee JLP literally threatened the PNP in declaring he will be its worse nightmare(not a word from Lazie).
                        Holness spoke f taking the bitter pill,it seems the pill is insgnificant,it is all about who is givng it.
                        Portia in her bid for leadership was treated unfairly;said to be of the wrong cloth despite our terrible history of having leaders of the right cloth.
                        She is following the IMF programme,yet George Davis saw it fit to choose her as the sore thumb?
                        If he was beng sexist then.....
                        Huh?

Comment

You posted an article in which Portia made that declaration,what made it (the post)worthy of being posted?
                          In any event,my post was to show how we can be selective with our concerns reagarding sexism.

Comment

What conflicted bout dat?! Dat even mek it sweeter!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                              You posted an article in which Portia made that declaration,what made it (the post)worthy of being posted?
                              In any event,my post was to show how we can be selective with our concerns reagarding sexism.
                              I did? Which post is that?

Comment

Working...
                              X