• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God Bless America

Simone Biles' father: 'Out of line'

Updated: October 10, 2013, 1:14 PM ET
    ESPN.com news services
    The parents of 16-year-old gymnast Simone Biles, who won the women's all-around gold medal at the world championships last week, aren't ready to forgive Italy's Carlotta Ferlito for a racist comment made during the competition but say their daughter is moving on.
    "I found it very insulting," Biles' father, Ron, told USA Today Sports. "The racial comment was really out of line."
    AP Photo/Yves LoggheSimone Biles edged U.S. teammate Kyla Ross by less than a point to win the women's all-around title at last week's world championships.

After fellow Italian Vanessa Ferrari and Ferlito finished fourth and fifth on the balance beam -- just behind Biles -- Ferlito said with a laugh during a video interview, "I told Vane that next time we'll have our skin black also so we can win, too."
    Biles became the first black gymnast to become world champion. At last year's London Games, Gabby Douglas became the first black woman to win the Olympic all-around title.
    On Thursday, Italian federation president Riccardo Agabio said in a statement that he condemns "every form of racism and discrimination" and added that he hopes this matter won't hurt the friendly relationship between the federations.
    "It did bother her," Nellie Biles, Simone's mother, told USA Today. "I told her, 'Don't get roped into this' and, 'Don't let those comments ruin this moment for you. Just be proud of your performance and outcome.'
    "People are entitled to their opinion. For [Ferlito] to go into this racism stuff is pointless, and [Simone] is not going to address it."
    Ferlito apologized Tuesday on Twitter for the comment.
    "I want to apologize with the Americans girls. I didn't want to sound rude or racist. I love Simone and I'm a huge fan of USA gymnastics," Ferlito tweeted. "I've made a mistake, I'm not perfect ... I didn't think about what I was saying. I'm just a human. I'm so so sorry."
    Biles returned home to Spring, Texas, on Tuesday.
    "The little girls at the gym are freaking out a little bit, saying hi and giving me hugs and stuff, but that's it," Biles told USA Today.
    Ron Biles said Simone is ready to move on.
    "She's not fazed by it," he said.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
    After fellow Italian Vanessa Ferrari and Ferlito finished fourth and fifth on the balance beam -- just behind Biles -- Ferlito said with a laugh during a video interview, "I told Vane that next time we'll have our skin black also so we can win, too."
    Can you imagine how many times black athletes would have been justified for saying they would have won were they white?

And since when are Italians good gymnasts?!?! That's more surprising to me than a black gymnast winning! Dem shoulda glad fi even place inna top 10!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      Simone Biles' father: 'Out of line'

Updated: October 10, 2013, 1:14 PM ET
      ESPN.com news services
      The parents of 16-year-old gymnast Simone Biles, who won the women's all-around gold medal at the world championships last week, aren't ready to forgive Italy's Carlotta Ferlito for a racist comment made during the competition but say their daughter is moving on.
      "I found it very insulting," Biles' father, Ron, told USA Today Sports. "The racial comment was really out of line."
      AP Photo/Yves LoggheSimone Biles edged U.S. teammate Kyla Ross by less than a point to win the women's all-around title at last week's world championships.

Biles became the first black gymnast to become world champion. At last year's London Games, Gabby Douglas became the first black woman to win the Olympic all-around title.
      On Thursday, Italian federation president Riccardo Agabio said in a statement that he condemns "every form of racism and discrimination" and added that he hopes this matter won't hurt the friendly relationship between the federations.
      "It did bother her," Nellie Biles, Simone's mother, told USA Today. "I told her, 'Don't get roped into this' and, 'Don't let those comments ruin this moment for you. Just be proud of your performance and outcome.'
      "People are entitled to their opinion. For [Ferlito] to go into this racism stuff is pointless, and [Simone] is not going to address it."
      Ferlito apologized Tuesday on Twitter for the comment.
      "I want to apologize with the Americans girls. I didn't want to sound rude or racist. I love Simone and I'm a huge fan of USA gymnastics," Ferlito tweeted. "I've made a mistake, I'm not perfect ... I didn't think about what I was saying. I'm just a human. I'm so so sorry."
      Biles returned home to Spring, Texas, on Tuesday.
      "The little girls at the gym are freaking out a little bit, saying hi and giving me hugs and stuff, but that's it," Biles told USA Today.
      Ron Biles said Simone is ready to move on.
      "She's not fazed by it," he said.
      Miggle Passage fooliniss....Sen har back to Darkest Africa

Signed,
      Belmont Rd HQ
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

HAHA!

True! She brite! She nuh see Aunt Jemima deh pon box arready?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bwoy dem can't keep out we *****z out a dem sports eeh??? My wife's 8 yo niece is a natural gymnast and has the potential to excel...so says har teacha. Well me done lay down me claim to piece of har US$100m Kellogs kontrack by driving from NY to Boston fi enter competition. I WILL be RICH B!tches!!!!
          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            HAHA!

True! She brite! She nuh see Aunt Jemima deh pon box arready?!

Miggle Passage wi seh!!

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
              Bwoy dem can't keep out we *****z out a dem sports eeh??? My wife's 8 yo niece is a natural gymnast and has the potential to excel...so says har teacha. Well me done lay down me claim to piece of har US$100m Kellogs kontrack by driving from NY to Boston fi enter competition. I WILL be RICH B!tches!!!!
              Mek sure wen yuh ah drive down to Boston from NY dat yuh nuh end up inna Atlanta backwata

Comment

lol
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You guys should just chill and stop overreacting. Don't you know that racism is not a problem in Europe. Just ask Willi.

Comment

Mek sure she remember her other uncle TK who did ahm....well he took her to practice....well no....he bought her lessons....not exactly....well him did encourage har....no didn't do that.....backside.....just tell her I meant to do those things and it's the thought that counts... just mek sure yu niece remember to give me a smalls when she get her Wheaties box money.....
                    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

chi-ching $$$$$$ Yuh nuh see seh we all a tek over Fencing too. One day I give unuh a story bout me a fence (annedda fence story).

Comment

chi-ching $$$$$$ Yuh nuh see seh we all a tek over Fencing too. One day I give unuh a story bout me a fence (annedda fence story).
                        Wait what? Is what yu mean one day yu a give story? No man yu haffi buss it now!!!!!! Jangle and sharp objects.....*shudder*......
                        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
                        X