RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone heard or read the story of Solomon Northup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard or read the story of Solomon Northup?

He was a free black man who was kidnapped in Washington D.C. and sold into slavery. He wrote his story, " Twelve Years a Slave" well the movie should be out any day now. I guess it is one I'd love to see.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I was at a friends house over the weekend and another guest was talking about the film as her sister was an actor in this movie.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The preview looks really good. I heard about the book a long time ago but never got around to reading it.

There is a Mandela movie coming out soon as well.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The Nigerian actor who plays the lead role is being touted for an Oscar. The movie was the talk of the critics in the just completed Toronto International Film Festival.

Comment

Idris Elba, yes he has got very good reviews for the role.

I believe he is British born to West African parents. Good actor.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

No not Idris Elba he played Mandela in Long Road To Freedom. The actor in 12 Years A Slave is Chiwitel Ejiofor. Very good actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
              No not Idris Elba he played Mandela in Long Road To Freedom. The actor in 12 Years A Slave is Chiwitel Ejiofor. Very good actor.
              Yes, he had roles in movies such as American Gangster, Salt and 2012.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Same one. Early favourite for best actor.

Comment

Oh ok. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
                  X