No announcement yet.

Chronixxx is destined to be a Reggae Superstar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is making money in the music business these days? The record companies? How is money being made in the industry? Is it through record sales? What I see happening today in the American market is a lot of these artistes cross-selling and doing tours. Simon Cowell is offering a US$5m contract to the winner of the X Factor, but how much of that money does the artiste actually sees?

Sass you seem to know more about this business than most, so educate me.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

One of the trends are these 360 deals, all-inclusive deals with companies such as Live nation that covers music sales, concerts, other merchandise. A good example of that would be Jay-Z's 150 million deal with Live Nation about 5 years ago. Ticket prices for these top artistes have also become extremely high.

The net result appears to be that the mega-stars make a tonload of money, much more than ever before due to multiple streams of income, but up and coming artistes have it harder than before. However they do have the option of operating independently in a way that previous generations of artistes did not.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

This is what I am talking about. The Hip Hop artistes crop up almost overnight and you hear their music on heavy rotation, but are they making money? Who is buying music when it is so easy to access for free? So is sales per unit a good indicator?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

It is testing time mi brethren. If you have an establish catalog that is getting rotation and have the rights to it you are fine. The music business has gone so bad for the sales that most big companies like VP now is also collecting royalties, and is big into their artists touring. This was not so before 2008, they use concentrate more on music sales.

If an artist can get their music in shows, video games, TV programs etc as people like halfpint etc have done, you good. If you can tour as you wish as Beres Hammond, Burning Spear etc. do, you good.

For young musicians and singers it is not so easy as before I use to create a 45 and if it sound good soundman use to go buy it at their favorite store. You remember when a part of your income was used for that??? Now it is either free download or you have to pay to get it promoted.

Personally nowadays if you are not a part of a young singer management team, you talking a big chance working with them, and even if you are it is still a problem as these contracts sometimes are not worth the paper they are written on. This is why you see a lot of producers not into the thing now because you take a big risk and the outlets are not really there as before.

VP record bought Greensleves just for the catalog they had which included some of Sean Paul's stuff. Ruff for independent producers right now that is why nuff a them just sit back and watching.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

A good indicator of popularity you mean? Not by itself especially if your music caters to the younger generation who are less likely to purchase music.

However artistes who develop a loyal fan base still sell a decent amount of music. Drakes new album released a week or so ago sold more than 600,000 in the first week. So you really cannot say that nobody is buying music.

Also remember that even though music is selling less, the production and distribution of digital music is so cheap that the margins must be much greater they were than when you had to create a record/CD, ship them to record stores all over the world, and all of that. So you sell less but you make more per copy sold. So there is still money to be made if you cater to the right fan base.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Also some no name bands who do festivals and shows and sign autographs and sell their CDs do a lot better than some that go through the record store right now. That don't go through soundscan either.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That is true.

Comment

well the other night i went to a Cornwall college thing.. bwoy although they are across the street from Alvernia a per bull in deh...

Comment

Wall St - Chronixx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-BZfCQa7s0

Comment

I must admit...that happens from time to time with us!

But recently, the young HOGS (Hampton Old Girls) have been gracing our functions in higher numbers! I hope it continues!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

About time some of these artistes make what they are worth. For years, some very mediocre people were becoming millionaires just by pushing out some eediat stuff.

Even the ones that made good music were never worth what they were making, nothing close!

Badmind? Perhaps!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X