X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puerto Rico seeks to boost coffee production

Puerto Rico seeks to boost coffee production

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 | 1:53 PM

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — Puerto Rico's governor says he plans to boost the island's sluggish coffee industry by generating 6,000 new jobs and cultivating an additional 16,000 acres (6,400 hectares) in the next two years.

Alejandro Garcia Padilla said Wednesday that the government will recruit workers in January and award $4.2 million in fertilizer incentives. He said another $670,000 will be available under a production subsidy program.

#slideshowtoggler, #slideshowtoggler a, #slideshowtoggler img {filter:none !important;zoom:normal !important}
    1/1

He says the government already has signed agreements with 25 nurseries, with the first crop expected in three years to boost production by 30 percent.
    The island loses an estimated 35 percent of each year's crop because there is no one to pick it. Some 80,000 pounds (39,900 kilograms) of coffee were collected during the most recent harvest, one of the lowest in the island's history.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2gb7hoF71
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Any idea if Jamaica has maximize it's Blue Mountain Coffee production?

What about High Mountain production?

Thanks in advance.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

KMT. You a ask the wrong person, I will not give you any political correct or ironic answers. LOL.

The best time for Jamaican coffee was in the 80-the mid 90s.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X