• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting Sounds of the Taxi

Revisiting Sounds of Taxi

By Howard Campbell
    Tuesday, September 24, 2013

THE golden years of the Taxi label are revisited on Sly and Robbie Presents Sounds of Taxi, a compilation album recently released by Tads International Record.

It contains 22 songs produced by drummer Sly Dunbar and bassist Robbie Shakespeare for the Taxi imprint, starting in the late 1970s with songs from Gregory Isaacs, the Tamlins, the Wailing Souls, Jimmy Riley, Junior Delgado and Sugar Minott.
    Robbie Shakespeare (left) and Sly Dunbar.

Robbie Shakespeare (left) and Sly Dunbar.

#slideshowtoggler, #slideshowtoggler a, #slideshowtoggler img {filter:none !important;zoom:normal !important}
    1/1

There are also songs from the 1980s by artistes who emerged during that decade, such as roots singer Ini Kamoze and deejay Yellow Man. The set closes with covers of Bob Marley's Crazy Baldhead and Running Away, recorded by Luciano and Beenie Man in the 1990s.
    The Taxi label was actually launched in the early 1970s by Dunbar and guitarist/bassist Bertram 'Ranchie' McLean, who were members of Skin, Flesh and Bones, house band at the Tit For Tat nightclub in St Andrew.
    Both musicians became key members of The Revolutionaries band which backed most of the acts at the Channel One studio in the early and mid-1970s. With most of their time consumed by session work at Channel One and touring with Peter Tosh and Jimmy Cliff, Dunbar and McLean had little time for production with Taxi.
    Dunbar and Shakespeare, who played in Tosh's Word, Sound and Power band, revived the label with a series of chart-toppers led by Isaacs' Soon Forward, released in 1979. That year also saw Taxi hitting with Love and Devotion (Riley), Baltimore (The Tamlins) and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner by Black Uhuru.
    Their hit run continued in the 1980s with Minott whose Herbman Hustling marked the dawn of dancehall's digital era; Revolution from Dennis Brown, Call a Taxi from Ini Kamoze and their funky instrumental, Unmetred Taxi.
    Crazy Baldhead and Running Away were done while Luciano and Beenie Man were signed to Island Jamaica Records. Sly and Robbie worked on their albums for that Chris Blackwell-owned company.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...#ixzz2fqGAIMM3
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Sorry to Lo-jack your good post--but did you attend the Jerk Festival Sept 1st?

I drove by... but the rain made me take a U- turn!!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

yeah man it was very good as usual. In the earlies it rain a lot. It never looked good but the father gave Ambassadah another blessing this year. It ended up that the place cork.

Didn't see Luciano still as they kids endure the rain and damp in the early and wanted to leave so we had to step. It was bigger and better this year and I know you would have loved it too.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Darn it!! I drove by about 2-3 bells--looks over and the crowd was rather thin. Folks appear to be leaving (due to the rain)....

Next year!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Collectors' item.
          The decade before was better though,Ras karbi,Jacob Miller.
          Sass,what a gwaan with man like Erick Dinaldson,Fredie Nackay abd Tinga Stewart?
          My fondest memories(music)is the 70's.
          There was a song I would play repeatedly back then as a little boy(age 6)that I can't remember the astiste name,words like"I am nobody's child...,just like a flower I am growing wild.
          It made me sympathetic to orphans.
          I have vivid memories of age 4,faces,places and events.Is what happened yesterday, I can't remember.
          PLEASE memba fi answa my question.

Comment

yeah a few of my crew, called and said they turned back. It was scanty until about 5. They had a DJ who woke up the crowd about 5-6 with all kinda tune. People started coming. It is the biggest one so far and well planned. It was worth been there.

Comment

This era was an exciting era as well with new sounds coming through. The double drumming, some electric drumming, Moving the baseline, fast talking and sounds from people like Eka Mouse, Ini etc. that you never hear before. This was also D.Brown, Black Uhuru, Gregory, Wailing Souls, Diamonds at their best.

The song you are talking is "Nobody's Child". The version by Max Romeo that light up Ja. I remember as a youth that song was also stucked in my head, especially after a few licks. LOL.

Comment

Working...
              X