Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Qaeda Hijacks Miss America Pageant

By Sky News US Team
    Nina Davuluri has been hit with Twitter abuse after becoming the first woman of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America.

After her victory in Atlantic City, the 24-year-old beauty queen, who was born in Syracuse, New York, and is believed to be a practising Hindu, said: "I'm so happy this organisation has embraced diversity.

"I'm thankful there are children watching at home who can finally relate to a new Miss America."

But others were not so happy with the success of the New Yorker, who wants to be a doctor and is applying to medical school with the help of a $50,000 (£31,000) scholarship she won as part of the pageant title.

Some people accused her of not being American, others said she was an Arab and looked like a terrorist.

One Twitter user, DallasRobinson8, wrote: "I am literally soo mad right now a ARAB won. #MissAmerica"

Jakeamick5 added: "How the **** does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots"

Emi_adkins said: "It's called Miss America. Get outta here New York you look like a terrorist. #bye #americanforamerica"

And another user said: "Well they just picked a Muslim for Miss America. That must've made Obama happy. Maybe he had a vote."

Others took to Twitter to defend her, however.

TonySals93 said: "I can't believe people are tweeting racist things about our new crowned Miss America! People like that need to vanish. #MissAmerica"

Another user, Aashkey, tweeted: "A country full of racists. That is America. #MissAmerica"

CJlovebug said: "This world is so ignorant. #MissAmerica Indian or not had every right to gain the title of MissAmerica. This is why I want to leave America!"

And GucciMessiah tweeted: "So Indians and Arabs are the same now? O for sure.. #MissAmerica"

Ms Davuluri, whose talent routine was a Bollywood fusion dance, brushed aside the negative comments about her.

"I have to rise above that," she said. "I always viewed myself as first and foremost American."

Her grandmother said she cried with delight when she saw the news on television.

"I am very, very happy for the girl. It was her dream and it was fulfilled," said 89-year-old V Koteshwaramma, speaking by phone from her home in the city of Vijaywada in eastern India.

She said there were numerous doctors in the family, both in the US and India, and if her granddaughter wanted to become one "I am sure she will do it".

Sounds like the idiots in Jamaica always bawling when a "black" doesn't win Ms Jamaica

Comment

Johnny on the spot

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ir/flair1.html

It's really a shame that people don't unite, but instead they choose to alienate others because of skin colour.
      Baylis joins beauty elites, eyes Miss Universe crown

Published: Monday | September 16, 2013 0 Comments

Kerrie Baylis

1 2 3 4 5 >
      Garfene Grandison, Assistant Lifestyle Coordinator
      Kerrie Baylis, a 24-year-old investment banker with a law degree, joined an elite cast of beauties who have won both the Miss Jamaica World and Miss Jamaica Universe crowns. She is the fourth woman to take the Miss Jamaica/Universe double, preceded by Sandra Foster, Christine Straw and Yendi Phillipps. However, Phillipps has been Jamaica's highest placed Miss Universe contestant to date, finishing second in 2010.
      Baylis, who was crowned Miss Jamaica World in 2009, won the Miss Jamaica Universe pageant last Sunday evening at Jewels Resort in Ocho Rios.
      She beat 10 rivals in the Uzuri International-hosted event, walking away with two sectional prizes: Most Aware and Best in Swimsuit. Baylis will represent Jamaica at the Miss Universe final in Russia in November.
      With such a short time to prepare, Baylis told Flair she is very nervous.
      "I am absolutely very nervous. It's a very short time that I have to get prepared - just about five weeks, but I'm just going to work very hard to make those five weeks count, working double time, because if we have to do this, we have to do it the right way."
      Not a stranger to negative comments, which she has heard, Baylis says, "I don't pay too much attention to the negative things that are being said. With someone's success comes negativity, but I just remain focused, with the mission in mind. It's really a shame that people don't unite, but instead they choose to alienate others because of skin colour.
      "At the end of the day, we are all Jamaicans waving the same flag, irrespective of our skin colour."
      Today, Flair presents the exclusive Official photos of 2013 Miss Universe Jamaica Kerrie Baylis, shot by photo phenom Craig Phang Sang, at the Jewel Dunns River Resort.
      grandison.garfene@gleanerjm.com

Comment

We'll be happy to unite once there is indeed equality, not a day earlier!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Bigots are cowards who always hide behind their computers in the US....
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Don't ban Hortical Mo...he didn't mean it

Comment

My guess is THIS is the most surprising thing about Merika to Chaturvidi,ongle hope he was sitting down in proximity of a hospital(oh the shock)There is another possibilty,he is very smart.
              Maybe if the US gets an indian president all will be well.

Comment

HAHA!

Ok. Him lucky nuh rah!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's bit more complex, i feel.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lifes...Gucci-in-Milan

http://models.com/newfaces/modeloftheweek/30809

Comment

Hush, I know it hurts bad.

Quote : " didn't I cast out devils in your name? heal the sick, raise the dead in your name? and he answered and said; depart from me I know thee not".

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post

Quote : " didn't I cast out devils in your name? heal the sick, raise the dead in your name? and he answered and said; depart from me I know thee not".
                      Mi nuh read fairy tales...non-fiction mi deal wit

Comment

Fairy tales or allegories. I keep telling to climb from that tree of ignorance but you insist to stay. Why Zac ah mean Bricktop? Hmmm fairy tales huh? It only shows that you have no knowledge of the mysteries. Read over snow white and the likes with your analytic cap on, you may be surprised at what you find.

Comment

Working...
                        X