• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hub: Just a Pipe Dream?

Source: The Sunday Gleaner, Sept. 1, 2013
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure1.html

EDITORIAL - Show Us The Money, Mr Hylton
    Published: Sunday | September 1, 2013

Anthony Hylton, the industry and investment minister, should be careful he oversells his projects and chatter is deemed to be just so much hot air, worthy only of lifting balls.

In this regard, Mr Hylton should recall his stint in the early 2000s as P.J. Patterson's czar charged with transitioning energy source primarily from oil to natural gas and finalising deals for the procurement of liquefied natural gas. Mr Hylton accomplished little, and more than a decade later, Jamaica is still wrestling with its energy problem.

We remind Minister Hylton of these facts not to embarrass, but rather in deference to the adage that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Or, perhaps many.

So, take Mr Hylton's pet project: the transformation of Jamaica into a logistics hub for the Americas, to take advantage of the expansion of the Panama Canal to accommodate the new generation of mega ships.

For Jamaica, the idea presumes new and expanded ports, prescribed industrial and commercial zones, and the multimodal trans-shipment of goods. Mr Hylton projects that this scheme will attract investment of between US$10 billion and US$15 billion, stretched over a decade or so.

It is, in part, for the advancement of this concept that the Government is seeking buyers for its trans-shipment port on the Kingston Harbour and has invited bids for the Caymanas Economic Zone, the scheme initially floated by the former administration.

No buyers for trans-shipment port

What is clear, however, is that the Government, as yet, has no buyers for the trans-shipment port; nor does it have a preferred bidder, or none that it has shared with the public, for the Caymanas development.

The only real game in town, so far, is the unsolicited bid by China Harbour Engineering Company for the use of the Goat Islands, off Jamaica's south coast, as a port, industrial facility and logistics centre. This would be a US$1.5-billion investment.

But as Mr Hylton went out of his way to point out, the Goat Islands project does not represent the whole concept of Jamaica as a logistics centre, just part thereof.

The minister muscled up on this point partly because of the blowback from environmentalists, who not only raise ecological concerns, they belittle its prospect for actually creating jobs, doing so in terms that are far more than vaguely contemptuous of Chinese investors and their motives.

This newspaper, of course, does not share the view that Goat Islands would provide only jobs for the Chinese, and Jamaica would be merely swapping its ecosystem to build China's economy. We feel that Jamaica - with 215,000 people unemployed, 453,000 having opted out of the workforce and perhaps another half million underemployed - must take a rational economic decision on the project.

It is in this context that we are surprised at Minister Hylton's almost blasé characterisation of the impact were the Chinese to take the US$1.5 billion off the table - that it would not be fatal to the logistics project. Perhaps not.

However, until we see other people put their money on the table and are ready to get on with real business of building out their projects, what Mr Hylton has is really talk. And he did a lot of that on LNG.

The opinions on this page, except for the above, do not necessarily reflect the views of The Gleaner. To respond to a Gleaner editorial, email us: editor@gleanerjm.com or fax: 922-6223. Responses should be no longer than 400 words. Not all responses will be published.

Bag a talking and not much else.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Boss, the USA has a lease on Goat Island from WWII, called lease for ships to Britain.

Comment

The hub will come into being and it is good that we have dis bag a talking , 4 years ago it wasn't even a whisper, the politics of it , will spur new leaders in our political system any leader that can get the best out of it for the Jamaican people will run the island for the next 50 years.

A suh me see it.A vibrant opposition is needed as I have always stated.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Oh?

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
          Boss, the USA has a lease on Goat Island from WWII, called lease for ships to Britain.
          I’m certainly not saying you’re wrong TDowl, but I’m forced to ask this question: Does the Jamaica government or the Jamaican environmentalist lobby group know of this lease agreement?

Surely they’re all acting as if the arrangement you mentioned here does not exist. In fact, there has not even been a passing reference to this amidst all the verbal exchange and the threats!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            I’m certainly not saying you’re wrong TDowl, but I’m forced to ask this question: Does the Jamaica government or the Jamaican environmentalist lobby group know of this lease agreement?

Surely they’re all acting as if the arrangement you mentioned here does not exist. In fact, there has not even been a passing reference to this amidst all the verbal exchange and the threats!

There was a letter in one of the papers about this lease agreement.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Missed It

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
              There was a letter in one of the papers about this lease agreement.
              Sorry, Lazie (and TDowl), I had completely missed that letter.

I am surprised, nevertheless, that there has not been direct reference(s) to this agreement during the debates in the media between both sides.

But thanks for this information.

Comment

Clean it up; you still need to do better with the tea leaves. You cannot leave out Landlord :hehe: Landlord (US) is a huge factor here.

Comment

yes and the writer seems to know what he/she is talking about.

Anyway let us see what happen.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                  X