• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen gets nine months for passport tampering

Teen gets nine months for passport tampering

By Nikita Braxton-Benjamin nikita.braxton@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Aug 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM ECT
    Story Updated: Aug 29, 2013 at 10:59 PM ECT

JAMAICAN teenager Briana Wright was sent to prison for nine months yesterday for tampering with her passport.
    Three weeks ago, officers went to a house at Marabella where they met Wright.
    She was told of a report being investigated and taken to the Immigration Detention Centre at Aripo.
    On Wednesday, she was interviewed by Corporal Kevin Denny of the San Fernando Immigration Department who told her that she was found to be in possession of a tampered passport.
    She responded, “My passport got wet at home and I gave it to my landlord to fix it.”
    Wright, an 18-year-old sales clerk, was charged with tampering with the passport.
    She pleaded guilty to the offence before Deputy Chief Magistrate Mark Wellington who told her that the maximum penalty for such an offence was $50,000 or three years in prison.
    He went through Wright’s passport and police prosecutor Cleyon Seedan said the discrepancy was at page four where there was handwriting.
    Wellington sentenced Wright to nine months in jail.
    After serving her time, Wright, who has been staying illegally in this country since 2011, will be deported to Jamaica.

Bwoy dem really know how fi punish the powerless.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Why didn't they just send her home? Not to minimize the seriousness of the act. I suppose 9 months better than three years.
      Peter R

Comment

Probation! Probation! Probation!

Some people do much worse and get probation....
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Because she is Jamaican and you Trinis are badmind

Comment

Bettah watch yuh step when yuh come Carnival next year.... wi a set fi yuh!!
            Peter R

Comment

Wicked and cruel Magistrate....ting seh is d USA...pure wickedness data....

Comment

Working...
              X