X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Turd takes on Holness

Shaw to challenge Holness
    Shaw signals decision to run for JLP leadership
    BY VERNON DAVIDSON Executive Editor — publications davidsonv@jamaicaobserver.com
    Saturday, August 24, 2013

AUDLEY Shaw signalled his intention to challenge Andrew Holness for leadership of the Opposition Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) by telling Holness of his plan during a meeting this week and informing the party chairman in a letter yesterday.
    At the same time, Shaw sought to assure his colleagues that he intended to avoid creating discord in the often fractious party, saying that he would consult with delegates and key party workers before making a final decision and that he would go about the process in a "cordial and dignified manner".

Pointing out that his intended challenge was informed by concern for the future of the country voiced to him by "numerous Jamaicans from all walks of life", Shaw said that "after discussions with family members and close associates, I have decided to give serious and studied consideration to the possibility of offering myself for the position of leader of the Jamaica Labour Party".
    Shaw, one of the JLP's four deputy leaders, also told chairman Robert Montague that he intended "to engage in a process of consultation with delegates and key workers within the party islandwide. Thereafter, with God's blessings and guidance, I will make a decision on my role going forward in the best interest of our party and country".
    Yesterday, JLP sources told the Jamaica Observer that Shaw, who has represented Manchester North Eastern in Parliament for the past 20 years, will announce his candidacy at a party meeting scheduled for Chapelton, Clarendon, tomorrow.
    That meeting will be held at about the same time that Holness and other JLP officials will have what the party describes as a "dialogue" with the people of St Catherine South Central at the office of member of parliament Dr Andrew Wheatley.
    A media advisory from the JLP also said that Holness; Wheatley; Olivia 'Babsy' Grange, member of Parliament for St Catherine Central; and Everald Warmington, Area Council chairman and MP for St Catherine South Western, will "meet with party workers and supporters".
    It had been rumoured for weeks that Shaw would challenge Holness, who has been described by his detractors in the party as indecisive and weak.
    Some members of the party have blamed him for the JLP's crushing loss in the December 2011 general election, arguing that he called the vote after losing the initial bounce in support he received following his elevation to the party leadership and prime ministership in October 2011.
    Last week, Holness in a Facebook post, urged Jamaicans to reject what he said were attempts to create disunity in the JLP and said that the individuals behind that effort were driven by self-interest.
    Last weekend he also welcomed any challenge to his post, but emphasised that any such contest should be pursued with respect.
    "...Challenge is good. Challenge strengthens me and whoever would like to challenge; come, come," Holness said in an address to party supporters at a St James Southern constituency conference at Springfield Primary and Junior High School in the parish.
    The leadership challenge will most likely take place at the party's annual conference in November.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz2ctFuX0Oi
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Challenge strnghtens the party,Holness.
    Always thought in the end the challenge would cone from Delroy Chuck,nevertheless,Shaw has far more clout within the party and internationally ,the only chance Holness has is to make a convincing case for change.We have seen Shaw's governance by way of Bruce being the leader.
    Holness is likely now chopped liver.

Comment

Christ Tufton is where I was looking. Shaw too much inna di old school politicking ...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Inneresting
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Ahhh sah, saw this from dem elect di weak one ,Shaw might surprise us , ,seems more practical .

Real interesting ...bredda weaka than weak Holness, Bruce master card..lol
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            Ahhh sah, saw this from dem elect di weak one ,Shaw might surprise us , ,seems more practical .

Real interesting ...bredda weaka than weak Holness, Bruce master card..lol
            Bruce's House of Cards yuh mean.... Chess Masta tings suh nuh watch nuh face....woooooiiiieee
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Bruce wanted Shaw all along , he just couldnt let it seem so obvious ....Ben 101 master chess stroke signapore laborite move..lol
              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                Christ Tufton is where I was looking. Shaw too much inna di old school politicking ...
                Was looking at Tufton too, but seeng he doesn't have a seat (when so many jokers like Portia, Clarke etc have a seat....)
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

it nuh matter. Tufton for some reason sit and let everybody go ahead of him. Holness need to step up and this is the platform for him. As for Shaw I don't want to see anyomre leaders who have been involved in the 70 and 80s. Time for a new generation.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

rumour has it that Bruce and Shaw wasn't getting along, hence Bruce said "No old foot leader". I don't think Bruce in anyway wanted Shaw.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Fact is Bruce relied heavily on Shaw's judgement,Holness was the creation of all in the party,despite Shaw privately expressing objections.The happy to have been the classmate of Holness (former students of Catherine)comments will not help in this internal battle.It really isn't too late for Tufton either.

Comment

But anyone here is a labarite insider? It would be good to hear their take...

Comment

Working...
                        X