• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-Y-O Dies, Sisters Injured After Freak Accident At Beach

6-Y-O Dies, Sisters Injured After Freak Accident At Beach

Published: Wednesday | August 21, 20130 Comments

Gary Spaulding,*Senior Gleaner Writer

What started out as a pleasant holiday trip to a beach in St Ann over the weekend was suddenly transformed into a nightmare for a 28-year-old father of two when a jet ski raced out of the water on to land and into his children, killing one and leaving another battling for life.

Richard Hyman's six-year-old daughter, Tonoya, was killed by a deadly blow from the jet ski, while yesterday, it remained touch and go for her four-year-old sister, Remonique.

"Jah know, mi feel it! I don't know that there is any word in the dictionary to express my feelings right now," mumbled Hyman as he spoke with*The Gleaner. "I don't know anything. I am keeping my fingers crossed … . I have to put God in the midst at this time."

Bryanna, a sibling of the two girls and Hyman's stepdaughter, was also hit but sustained minor injuries, including a broken tooth. She was treated and released.

As he spoke with*The Gleaner, Hyman said he was also worried about his common-law wife and the mother of the three, Latoya Virtue.

"She is, like, without life," he lamented.

Her face swollen, young Remonique was last night on a life-support system in the Intensive Care Unit at the University Hospital of the West Indies. She had been transferred from the St Ann's Bay Hospital.

The three children, who lived with their parents in Christiana, Manchester, were spending the summer holiday in St Ann with their aunt, who decided to treat them to a day of fun.

UNBELIEVABLE NEWS

Hyman told*The Gleaner*he received a telephone call about 3 p.m. on Saturday that would irrevocably change his life.

"They just told me that a jet ski had hit my three girls - my two daughters and a stepdaughter. I could not believe it," Hyman shared.

"The [jet ski] just ran into my family, who were not even in the water. Tonoya died on the spot."

Hyman, who works in Kingston and normally sees his family on weekends, had not seen his children for a few weeks since they were on holiday.

He got the news on Saturday afternoon as he was preparing for work. Hyman said he was told that the three were seated on the sand when the incident occurred.

"They were sitting on the sand. Remonique was sitting in her aunt's lap and Tonoya was sitting beside her aunt, while Bryanna was lying on the sand," he said. "I heard that the jet ski was out in the sea coming towards land."

Up to last night,*The Gleaner*had not received a comment from police on the incident.

gary.spaulding@gleanerjm.com

BLACK LIVES MATTER

It appears this jet ski was some sort of a robot or transformer or something! No mention about an operator, much less whether or not he/she was charged with anything.

Once again, great reporting from our local professionals!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What a tragedy. The kind of situation nobody can prepare for.

Bwoy oh bwoy, sad!
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Exactly...and 'freak accident'. There needs to be more CONTROL over locations of use, proper roped beach areas etc. These are dangerous motors..bad enough if the operator hits a bridge or jetty and get hurt but when innocent children or bathers get involved, there must be some punishment.

Comment

Sad but preventable.

Comment

Yep, I have a bredren that work in the Occupational Health/Hazard area. He cannot stand to hear that something was an accident when there were clearly no safety policies in place to deal with its likely occurrence.

He says "No, it was not an accident, it was caused by XXX."
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

so then is 2nd degree murder ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                It appears this jet ski was some sort of a robot or transformer or something! No mention about an operator, much less whether or not he/she was charged with anything.

Once again, great reporting from our local professionals!
                Just when you think Jamaican journalism can't get any worse.

Comment

It was recklessness and the person should face criminal charges. Manslaughter would be appropriate....
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

How you know that he was acting recklessly? Was he operating the wave runner in an area designated for wave runner use? Why didn't the cut off switch activate when the rider fell off the wave runner? Who was responsible for the maintenance of the wave runner? Suppose he rented the wave runner and was operating in an area designated for wave runner use and fell off? Is that reckless?

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                      How you know that he was acting recklessly? Was he operating the wave runner in an area designated for wave runner use? Why didn't the cut off switch activate when the rider fell off the wave runner? Who was responsible for the maintenance of the wave runner? Suppose he rented the wave runner and was operating in an area designated for wave runner use and fell off? Is that reckless?
                      Rider?! Did the article mention anything about a rider?!?

And if the rider, assuming there was one, does not first activate the cut-off switch, it won't mean anything if he falls off the jet ski.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Rider?! Did the article mention anything about a rider?!?

And if the rider, assuming there was one, does not first activate the cut-off switch, it won't mean anything if he falls off the jet ski.
                        We past dat long time...we already know there was a rider...we are unto whether the rider was negligent...how you gonna seh it's reckless until those questions are answered...

Comment

I did not say it was reckless, because I have not moved past the fact that this jet ski leapt out of the water, a la Jaws, and attacked human beings on the shore. Did you read the article?

Yes, perhaps the jet ski was reckless.

Sad story! Sorry to be making a big deal about this artificially intelligent jet ski, but I think the writer erred badly and, quite frankly, dissed the family of the victim by making it seem like no one was responsible.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                          X