I man see the link here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I man see the link here

http://weusemath.org/?career=hydrologist . I deliberately stopped on hydrologist. Ja would do well with a few of these people.

check this one too http://www.math.duke.edu/major/whyMajor.html

This I know is true:
    Studying Mathematics develops such skills as arguing logically and rigorously, thinking abstractly, formulating and solving problems, analyzing data, and creating and analyzing mathematical models. Employers value these skills; consequently, math majors find themselves in demand by employers for careers in a wide spectrum of fields.

A bachelor's degree in mathematics will prepare you for jobs in statistics, actuarial sciences, mathematical modeling, and cryptography, mathematics education, as well as for graduate school leading to a research career in engineering, mathematics or statistics. A strong background in mathematics is also necessary for research in many areas of computer science and social science. We describe below a few of the many fields where mathematics majors are in demand.

Saw it happened in a program that mentors college students for Corporations in NY. A big house on Wall St wanted interns for this summer. Twenty-three people applied. The person I knew wasn't interested but was encouraged to apply. You know how much people they picked? Two; a statistics major and the person I know (a compsci major and math minor). They had the rest on conference call on all but they already told those two they are the ones they were after. The rest were business majors. Wall st. is hungry for math majors to design algorithms for "analytics" apps.

Look like Jamaica lack problem solvers:
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Thanks Jawge, nuff respect.

Yes if students can develop a love for mathematics early it opens up so many possibilities.

One fairly new and growing IT role which requires advanced math-based skills is what they are calling a data scientist. Its the same kind of "analytics" skills that the Wall Street types are fighting for, but with more of an IT flavor.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news...ll-a-new-role/
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

No shortage of problem creators though, lol.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

True dat. Ja has too many baggage to take advantage of the info age.

Comment

Thanks for the article boss. Yuh see wha happen when peeple communicate (plus me is the eternal learner)? This one I sort of missed. Yes sir maths is at the forefront now. Hope you don't mind me giving examples and experiences on the subject. My friend's son who is a chem engineering major told me he decided to double major in math due to the theoretical work that was before him in the field.

I spoke with a mathematician (who is involved in some research) he told me that what we see an actually hear on these smart phones and other cells; isn't really real. He said it's just samples that the algorithms takes and make up your voice and send pictures. He says the bandwidth is too tight to carry so much data. I know this is true because way back in my college days we would discuss the fact that cell phones are really two way radios and it's the software that's making you feel as you are communicating via land line. In short when you speak on the cell phone the person is not hearing your actual voice nor you hearing theirs on the other end.

Maths will push the limits (no pun) of these algorithms and watson has already on the boundaries of this new age.

Comment

This site is very comprehensive. Excellent info.

It is even giving me some ideas on a competition that I have to design. Much thanks Jawge!

Comment

Good to know because math is surely needed.

Check out this link I hope you enjoy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiQwZ6inbOM

Comment

Working...
                X