Historian, mek wi talk some music again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian, mek wi talk some music again

Just yesterday I posted a youtube of the Marvin Gaye song that was sampled to give Robin Thicke his monster summer hit, Blurred Lines.

Earlier in the year, Pharrell, the genius producer behind Blurred Lines, worked with Daft Punk to produce a chune called Get Lucky. To me, it had a serious disco rhythm and even the vocals were quite reminiscent of something Earth, Wind & Fire would have done.

Enjoy the chune here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX9BBgBmJ9U

Well, I just found out that Nile Rodgers collaborated with Pharrell on the chune! Of course, everyone knows Nile Rodgers was a founding member of Chic. For many of us who grew up in the 80s, as in started going to parties and dating and such the like, Chic was everything!

Nile Rodgers has resurrected himself it seems. He was on Jimmy Fallon's late show the other night, and he is supposed to be on tour. Good for him! Between him and Marcus Miller, they were creating a problem for me as I did the piano when I thought the guitar was so much more...chic!

Now, these are not the only chunes I have noticed recently that have a distinct disco beat. Is that hated genre on its way back?!? Say it ain't so!!!
    Last edited by Mosiah; August 12, 2013, 10:35 PM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Bruno Mars - Treasure has that 80's feel too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-oBl1u4Ao
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

The other genius, of course! His music certainly has that classic 80s feel. No doubt!

Historian is probably saying a use the word "genius" too loosely. Perhaps, but I really like the work these two guys put out.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nile Rodgers on Sirius right now, coincidentally, talking about Daft Punk and other things.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Nile have some serious baseline from back in the days. He actually dominated the New York scene. Good to see him working and putting back some real life into the music with another wicked producer.

Well needed.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

He said in the interview last night that the last two years have been the busiest he has ever been, so listen out for more from him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Definitely. One of the best base line ever is on Chic "Good Times" People love Disco, they just don't want to call it disco.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I may be wrong, Sass, but I don't believe Nile was the bassist on that chune or in general. Nile was a lead guitarist. Historian, feel free to jump in! So, while I agree that Good Times had a wicked baseline, I think the credit would go to a fellow by the name of Edwards.

The lead on all Chic's chunes were wicked too!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah you are right on that. Sorry but he and Edwards was fabulous as a team.

Comment

i knew there was a certain familiar feel to it ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Just Seeing This!

Mo, please accept my sincere apology for not having answered before now. I have not been on the forum much in recent days, save for a quick trip to the “Other Sports” section yesterday afternoon and this morning.

I am seeing this thread for the first time!

Comment

Correction....

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        Nile have some serious baseline from back in the days. He actually dominated the New York scene. Good to see him working and putting back some real life into the music with another wicked producer.

Well needed.
                        ‘Sass, Nile Rodgers was NOT the bass player on Chic’s “Good Times.” Nile played that very distinctive funky rhythm guitar. The outstanding bass line was played by Bernard Edwards.

They both produced that record, I believe.

Comment

You Are Correct, Mo

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          I may be wrong, Sass, but I don't believe Nile was the bassist on that chune or in general. Nile was a lead guitarist. Historian, feel free to jump in! So, while I agree that Good Times had a wicked baseline, I think the credit would go to a fellow by the name of Edwards.

The lead on all Chic's chunes were wicked too!
                          I posted a correction to Assasin’s comments below BEFORE I saw your post here (I’m reading through this thread for the first time).

You are correct in that Nile played guitar, a really funky, distinct rhythm reminiscent of the 1960s funk era. The bass player, as I pointed out to ‘Sass below, was Bernard Edwards, a very outstanding bassist.

Both Nile and Bernard are not only trained musicians, but they are very good at what they do!

Mo, see my apology to you at the bottom of this thread.

Comment

Not My Day (lol)!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            yeah you are right on that. Sorry but he and Edwards was fabulous as a team.
                            Sorry, boss, I just saw this a few seconds ago! (I am reading and replying as I go down the thread.)

Comment

It does have that familiar feel, but I figured it was just an old school vybe.
                              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                              X