Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liverpool not obliged to sell

Luis Suarez: Liverpool not obliged to sell, says Gordon Taylor

Luis Suarez's contract does not have a clause obliging Liverpool to sell him for a fee in excess of £40m, says players' union chief Gordon Taylor.
    Arsenal have had two bids rejected by the Reds, the latest a pound over £40m.

The Uruguay striker, 26, spoke of his desire to leave Anfield on Tuesday.
    Suarez in numbers

• 30 goals in 44 appearances for Liverpool last season
    • Since joining from Ajax in January 2011 for £22.7m, has scored 51 in 96 appearances
    • 49 goals in 48 games for Ajax the season before joining Liverpool
    • 35 goals in 69 appearances for Uruguay

"If there is a minimum offer of £40m then the parties will discuss things but it does not say the club has to sell," said Taylor, boss of the Professional Footballers' Association.

"There is a 'good faith' clause in relation to serious discussions, but I can't say it is a cast-iron buy-out clause."

Suarez says the club "promised" he could leave this summer if they did not qualify for the Champions League. He intends to submit a transfer request by the end of the week if a move is blocked and is prepared to take the issue to the Premier League to force his exit.

Liverpool insist they do not have to sell and manager Brendan Rodgers says Arsenal's offer remains well short of his club's valuation.

Taylor confirmed his organisation will support Suarez but says if the matter is referred to a tribunal there is "no guarantee of getting a [successful] result".
    "Luis is one of our members and we want to be supportive, however, he may well have thought such an offer would trigger a move," Taylor said.
    "The interpretation is not that simple by any means."

Play media

Suarez's controversial career

Suarez took legal action against former club Groningen in 2006 when a bid from Ajax was rejected. He went to arbitration and lost - but was still sold as the Amsterdam side increased their offer.

Taylor will contact both the player and Liverpool in an attempt to help mediate on the matter, with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger "on standby" to do a deal.

"I just feel like in any other transfer it is better for both parties to get around the table to try to resolve it," Taylor added.

"You are hoping the club say, 'If you are determined to go, this is the figure we are looking at but if you are prepared to stay another year and you still want to go we will accept this much'.

"At the moment it is certainly festering and I don't think it is a good situation for the player or the clubs involved."
    Last edited by Karl; August 9, 2013, 04:37 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.
Working...
X