No announcement yet.

........by the way, which song is the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes there is still hope for reggae. Howecer the genre needs a breakthrough artiste, someone who can sell albums and not just the isolated single.

No disrespect to the vintage artistes but reggae shows look like a graybeard convention these days.

Dancehall can stay in its own lane, no reason both cannot thrive.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I don't understand the Romaine Virgo hype...i think he is awful actually...

Comment

Most Definitely!

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
        Yes there is still hope for reggae. Howecer the genre needs a breakthrough artiste, someone who can sell albums and not just the isolated single.

No disrespect to the vintage artistes but reggae shows look like a graybeard convention these days.

Dancehall can stay in its own lane, no reason both cannot thrive.
        I understand your point, ‘Iman, but reggae today is not dependent on only old men and women (lol). In this thread we already highlighted some 20-plus and 30-plus year-old reggae artists, and there are more that I could list.

Regarding your point that a “breakthrough artist” is needed, this is so true. However, until someone with the music industry muscle and the genuine interest such as Chris Blackwell gets involved, talented artists will just be “another reggae singer.” The last really big reggae breakthrough artists we had was Shaggy, followed by Sean Paul.

In the case of dancehall, it is a valid and popular music form and, handled properly, one of which we can all be proud. In previous posts I mentioned that I truly enjoy much of the stuff by artists like Beenie Man, Shabba Ranks, and many others including Papa San (one of the most genuinely talented deejays we’ve produced), Super Cat, Cutty Runks, etc. I have NEVER privately or publicly hit out at these genuinely outstanding dancehall icons.

My consistent criticisms from day one has to do with the lack of quality, anti-social attitude and poor lyrical direction of many of today’s artists. So far, in my view, we’re lucky that fed-up regional governments haven’t placed an across-the-board ban on the genre. You would be shocked how many people, including people in Jamaica and government figures in the region, privately regard certain artists as contributing to some social problems they are experiencing with teens and young adults. The Gaza vs Gully conflict is one of several examples. In fact, there are today Gaza and Gully sub-groups in one or two places elsewhere in the region, with similar anti-social attitudes.

Comment

Shaggy & Sean Paul is reggae now Historian?

Comment

The few times I ha e listened to his music, it was nothing special. Him trying, I give him credit there and I like that genre, but he does not distinguish himself IMHO

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Some are lumping the genres nowadays.

Comment

Historian likes to lump when it suits him...when it is successful it is reggae...when it isn't it's dutty dancehall...

Comment

Dutty Dancehall...has a nice ring to it!
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
                  X