........by the way, which song is the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ........by the way, which song is the

festival song this year? Must admit, ever since the song "Stop and Go!", me just stop. It just clicked to me that I haven't heard any festival songs whatsoever, unless the selectors thing Chronixx's Smile Jamaica is a Festival song.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

That is exactly the year I tuned out too and said this is ridiculous.

I see they just had a poll about all time favorite festival songs and Land Of My Birth by Eric Donaldson was on top. My favorite Eric Donaldson is Sweet Jamaica , Other favorites are Love Fever and Come Rock by Roy Rayon and Born Jamaican by the Astronauts. Of the ones before my time its Sweet and Dandy by Toots.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      That is exactly the year I tuned out too and said this is ridiculous.

I see they just had a poll about all time favorite festival songs and Land Of My Birth by Eric Donaldson was on top. My favorite Eric Donaldson is Sweet Jamaica , Other favorites are Love Fever and Come Rock by Roy Rayon and Born Jamaican by the Astronauts. Of the ones before my time its Sweet and Dandy by Toots.
      The one I really love is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMdhEDMw8ns.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Yeah dat one bad!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

My All-Time Favorites

At the top of the My Favorites list are “Bam Bam” by Toots & the Maytals (1966) and “Play De Music” by Tinga Stewart (1974).

Probably the greatest festival song was “Golden Festival” by Roy Shirley (1968). Unfortunately, this song never made the final top ten cut as apparently while Roy Shirley was on his way to the Festival office he was held up and the tape stolen.

My other favorites include:
          “Ba Ba Boom” by the Jamaicans (1967)
          “Sweet & Dandy” by Toots & the Maytals (1969)
          “Cherry Oh Baby” by Eric Donaldson (1971)
          “Dance Dis Ya Festival” by Freddie McKay (1976)
          “Sweet Jamaica” by Eric Donaldson (1977)
          “Born Jamaican” by the Astronauts 1979)

It is obvious that I prefer the festival songs from the first decade or so.

Comment

We had some good ones but after Roy Rayon, Astronaut and Eric Donaldson it went down the drain.

I can't leave out Tinga "play di music" outa mines. When I listen to Freddy McKay "Dance Dis a Festival ". I thought wow this was a wicked talent.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

BTW Lazie , Sass etc how do you rate Chronixx? I am just lately getting into his music and I am impressed. Seems to really put some thought into his lyrics, and I believe I heard he is like 20 or 21?

Looks like he has built a following in Africa. Love dat. Hope him can stay grounded and go to higher heights.

Comment

BTW Lazie , Sass etc how do you rate Chronixx? I am just lately getting into his music and I am impressed. Seems to really put some thought into his lyrics, and I believe I heard he is like 20 or 21?

Looks like he has built a following in Africa. Love dat. Hope him can stay grounded and go to higher heights.
                He has some songs that I do love.

Comment

Now You're Talking My Language!

I’ll slip in my opinion under your “etc.” (in your subject line).

Chronixx is an important part of the positive future of Jamaican music! This is a talented young man who I listen to often, and he’s definitely one of my favorite singers anywhere. He reminds me in some ways of that other outstanding reggae singer, Gyptian.

Check out, for example, Chronixx’s “Smile Jamaica.” This is a well arranged, well produced recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vofff0Ei3kk

Great recording artist, boss!

Comment

I think he is talented especially with lyrics and timing. Voice can work a little. Have some songs I live very much. I like some of the young artists like Chronixx, Jah9, Romain Virgo(I think he is very talented).

yeah man there is a good rivival on the way.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yes, we'll put together song.

One of the things I like aboout him is that he is versatile, doesn't fixate on one particular type of song

Comment

Yes I like Virgo too, has a good strong voice. chronixx sound kinda special to me though. I thought Sizzla was a bit overrated, I like Chronixx a lot more and I think he has a style that can crossover without watering down the music.

Comment

Sizzla was good but he overkilled himself. After the first Album he had, he should have just concentrated on making good music but instead he did any and everything that came to mind.

Yeah Chronixx can reach a good market but he has to be careful not to overexpose himself too. I hear he is in demand on the reggae cuircut in Europe.

Comment

Yeah, he is fresh and reggae sorely needs good young artistes so I can see why the demand would be there for him. Lets hope he gets some good guidance.

Comment

You Are Correct

Yes I like Virgo too, has a good strong voice. chronixx sound kinda special to me though. I thought Sizzla was a bit overrated, I like Chronixx a lot more and I think he has a style that can crossover without watering down the music.
                              I agree fully with every sentence here. (I actually consider myself among the biggest fans of Chronixx.)

Not meaning to raise an over-discussed issue, but hopefully you’ll see why I’ve tended to push for mainstream reggae as opposed to Worl’ Boss, Bounty and others in those camps? Truly talented singers like Romain Virgo, Tarrus Riley, Gyptian, Cherine Anderson, Etana, etc. represent a very rich future for our outstanding musical culture!

Comment

Working...
                              X