• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpton's Brawley begins payment for false rape

Race Hustler Al Sharpton's Tawanna Brawley

Tawana Brawley starts paying man she falsely accused of rape in 1987
    By Sho Wills, CNN
    updated 3:18 AM EDT, Mon August 5, 2013

Tawana Brawley holds hands with Al Sharpton, left, in 1990.
    STORY HIGHLIGHTS
    Tawana Brawley claimed that Steven Pagones and others raped her in 1987
    Brawley, who is black, said the white men wrote racial slurs on her body
    Al Sharpton took up her cause, which a grand jury later found to be false
    Brawley started paying Pagones monies owed from a defamation lawsuit

(CNN) -- After 26 years, Tawana Brawley has finally begun paying damages to Steven Pagones, a man she falsely accused of being among a group of men who raped her in 1987.
    Brawley's payment comes in the form of nearly $3,800 in wage garnishments, Pagones told CNN Sunday. Brawley still owes Pagones more than $400,000 in defamation damages.

In fall 1987, Brawley, who is African-American, was found disheveled inside a trash bag with racial slurs written across her body in Wappingers Falls, New York. Brawley, then 15, claimed she was kidnapped and repeatedly raped by a group of white men.
    In one of his first mainstream cases, activist Al Sharpton became Brawley's spokesman, staging rallies and calling for justice on her behalf.

When the case was brought before a grand jury, it concluded that Brawley had falsified the entire account.
    Pagones, who was an assistant district attorney, filed a civil suit that named Brawley, Sharpton and Brawley's lawyers as defendants.
    Sharpton has since paid his debt to Pagones. But Brawley, now 41 and a nurse living in Virginia, still owes Pagones more than $431,000.
    Pagones says he will forgive the debt if Brawley issues a personal apology and finally clears his name of all wrongdoing.

"Just tell the truth. That's all I'm looking for here. I have been battling this since day one, and it's really all about telling the truth," Pagones said.
    Calls to Brawley were not returned
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Met her once. At the time she was going to Howard University under a different name.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Met her once. At the time she was going to Howard University under a different name.
      Did she display any sign of mental issues?
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

You willfully make false claims and tarnish/damage peoples career and life, then PAY up!!
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

I have always wondered what really happened.

Was she sexually abused at all? There must have been some medical tests done on her when she made the claim? Did she put herself in the trash bag?

Not Sharptons finest hour at all but I believe he learnt a lot from that event.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Wonder how Maddox is fearing? (Isn't that the name of the lawyer who was on the case?).

Think he was disbarred for something..
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

No, Not at the time. She seemed to be fine. We were in a small group session and they said she was doing fine and studying. They said she had to use a cover as there was no way she could study with all that attention. She didn't say a whole lot then. I was in college at the time and was like "WOW".
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Sharpton's race baiting cohorts, Alton Maddox, Jr & C. Vernon Mason were both disbarred for their role in the case.
                Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

If she knows it was falsified and the courts have held that then she must really want to pay the man the money instead of apologizing ... Odd

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Very odd. Is it possible that she somehow still believes it to be true? Stranger things have happened.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Sharpton has recovered very nicely from that fiasco, thank you very much! He is a living hero for all minorities in the USA, particularly in New York City.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        I was in college at the time and was like "WOW".
                        Whe yuh did ah WOW bout?? She did look good inna har clothes??
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

All that too. But to see how she was plastered over the news and to meet her so unexpectedly in such a small working group.

Comment

Ok boss. I understand
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                            X