Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White Jamaican Reggae or fake?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=409675049149408
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Wonderful, Youth!

More power to this white youth!

His style reflects (at least to me) a combination of different Jamaican deejays. For example, when he starts with his opening lines, one could swear that he’s a disciple of U-Roy. Hell, at one point he even sounds like Shinehead and even Tony Rebel (remember that Queen Latifah record?)!

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with this youth in the same way that I have absolutely no problem with the Jewish kid Matisyahu or the German artist Gentleman or the gangsta rapper Snoop when they turn to reggae and dancehall. We can either on the hand take a myopic approach like what Bunny Wailer did towards Snoop (causing unnecessary conflict) or else we can celebrate the further exposure of our homegrown genre.

In the final analysis, Brand Jamaica benefits from the expanded audience and market.

Respect, youth, for your positive approach and adaptation to Jamaican culture!

Comment

don't see any reason why fake. Met a few white youths who can ride riddim, starting with Dominic.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

And there was the Canadian youth Snow, and the Indian-English youth Apache Indian.
        Peter R

Comment

check this. He has a lot more on line...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxxuSiC4wNw
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yes, but why do we always need other people to endorse us, endorse our music...before we can embrace as ours. Yes, the youth sound good but so do many a youth a road corner a Jamaica who can't get a bligh....we always want dance abroad but no want dance a yaaad.

Comment

What the Hell is Wrong With You?!

Originally posted by Exile View Post
              Yes, but why do we always need other people to endorse us, endorse our music...before we can embrace as ours. Yes, the youth sound good but so do many a youth a road corner a Jamaica who can't get a bligh....we always want dance abroad but no want dance a yaaad.
              You enjoy picking arguments, don’t you? What the hell does my comment have to do with “youth a road corner who can’t get a bligh”?!! Also, what is this nonsense about “why do we always need other people to endorse us, endorse our music….before we can embrace as ours”??!!

Who the hell made the plethora of Jamaican recording artists from the 1960s to today successful? Wasn’t it Jamaicans who supported these artists by attending their sessions, concerts and using their hard earned cash to buy their records?

Now, why should I give a damn about the “youth a road corner who can’t get a bligh”? Am I a record producer? Do I pay radio disc jockeys payola? Do I own a record label? Is recording music the only form of employment available for the “youth a road corner”?

Why do you attach these irrelevant statements to my particular post?

In case you don’t know, when I buy a CD, I could care less if that person came from Trenchtown or from Timbuktu!! I do NOT purchase records as a form of welfare; I purchase records for personal enjoyment! If it appeals to me, I will buy it; if it doesn’t, then I leave it alone. So unless you regard me as a music industry heavyweight, don’t attach these arguments to my posts!

The Context of My Comment:
              My comments had to do with the exposure that foreigners can bring to THEIR own people, exposure which can become beneficial spin-offs for Jamaican artists! To cite just one example, since you obviously do not always think clearly, do you think the “youth a road corner” has as much chance of reaching America’s Jewish population when compared with Matisyahu? Do you think the average West Coast rap/hip hop listener gives a damn about reggae/ dancehall? On the other hand, reggae/dancehall in the hands of a Snoop Lion can reach his already large audience, and Jamaicans can possibly benefit from the spin-offs!

Think before you post, man!!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                You enjoy picking arguments, don’t you? What the hell does my comment have to do with “youth a road corner who can’t get a bligh”?!! Also, what is this nonsense about “why do we always need other people to endorse us, endorse our music….before we can embrace as ours”??!!

Who the hell made the plethora of Jamaican recording artists from the 1960s to today successful? Wasn’t it Jamaicans who supported these artists by attending their sessions, concerts and using their hard earned cash to buy their records?

Now, why should I give a damn about the “youth a road corner who can’t get a bligh”? Am I a record producer? Do I pay radio disc jockeys payola? Do I own a record label? Is recording music the only form of employment available for the “youth a road corner”?

Why do you attach these irrelevant statements to my particular post?

In case you don’t know, when I buy a CD, I could care less if that person came from Trenchtown or from Timbuktu!! I do NOT purchase records as a form of welfare; I purchase records for personal enjoyment! If it appeals to me, I will buy it; if it doesn’t, then I leave it alone. So unless you regard me as a music industry heavyweight, don’t attach these arguments to my posts!

The Context of My Comment:
                My comments had to do with the exposure that foreigners can bring to THEIR own people, exposure which can become beneficial spin-offs for Jamaican artists! To cite just one example, since you obviously do not always think clearly, do you think the “youth a road corner” has as much chance of reaching America’s Jewish population when compared with Matisyahu? Do you think the average West Coast rap/hip hop listener gives a damn about reggae/ dancehall? On the other hand, reggae/dancehall in the hands of a Snoop Lion can reach his already large audience, and Jamaicans can possibly benefit from the spin-offs!

Think before you post, man!!

hehehee...get bringle yes Historian!!
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

And di English Dominic and the Israeli Silver Don!

There was even a WHITE Jakan Rock group in the 1990s, but the lead singer died in a crash on Mountain View road. They were pretty good, as I recall.

Comment

More fiyah! Di di real fiyahman yah! Blazing heat!!! 😄😄😄

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Which group? Native?
                      http://www.jambow.com/native/
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You really liked it, Historian? Because I was always of the feeling that you don't care one bit about dancehall music (and I use the word "music" loosely here, of course!)

Hmmm, tell me, what about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTW0j_fOE4

Because I want to know if it's a colour thing or a non-Jamaican thing. Some of us (and you can put yourself into that "some" if you wish, Histy) are quick to big up some things as long as it doesn't emanate from the bowels of our inner city.

The youth is good, but he is riding a 70s riddim and dejaying in an 80s style. Woopsidoo! Dominic was at least current.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No, I Did NOT Like It, Sir!!

Maybe I didn’t make myself very clear. In fact, based on comments in this thread, I suspect I did not.

I do NOT like this particular recording by the white youth! I never said I liked it! In fact, I probably would not want it in my collection even if it was given to me free of cost.

My comment was made on the fact that this young man, who I suspect has no direct ties whatsoever to Jamaica, could be so impacted by Jamaican culture that he was able to produce a product that sounded authentically Jamaican! In other words, my comments reflected an admiration of what the young man was able to do in the context of him being a non-Jamaican.

And you guys keep saying I don’t like dancehall music! What I don’t like is the ****ery that Jamaican dancehall music has become! Like the rest of our society, including sports (save for track and field and netball), the music is going down; it is losing its relevance and impact to some extent (notwithstanding the inclusion by BET recently in its awards ceremony). Today’s Jamaican dancehall music often sounds like some ****ed up effort to transmogrify or morph itself with American hip hop.

I have relentlessly pointed out that the problem is that the music has moved out of the hands of real musicians and into the hands of guys who, in some cases, are nothing but computer-loving individuals who see a way of making a quick buck! I will always challenge a computer producer to provide more creative keyboard lines than an outstanding keyboardist can, or to produce synthesized guitar solos better than a first-rate lead guitarist can!

And for your information, I used to enjoy dancehall, and I’m referring to “sensible” artists like Shabba Ranks, Beenie Man, Shinehead, and a couple others. I still enjoy one or two.

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          You really liked it, Historian? Because I was always of the feeling that you don't care one bit about dancehall music (and I use the word "music" loosely here, of course!)

Hmmm, tell me, what about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjTW0j_fOE4

Because I want to know if it's a colour thing or a non-Jamaican thing. Some of us (and you can put yourself into that "some" if you wish, Histy) are quick to big up some things as long as it doesn't emanate from the bowels of our inner city.

The youth is good, but he is riding a 70s riddim and dejaying in an 80s style. Woopsidoo! Dominic was at least current.

Comment

Your clarification is appreciated!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Him a "chaw fire". LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X