Anyone familiar with this case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not familiar!

--- A guy you are in a confrontation with tries to take your gun?
    A young guy from an old(er) 70year old man?

...I wonder? Should the old man politely ask, what are you going to do with my gun after violently taking it from me? ...or should he fight for and defend his life?

I guess I am leaning to - i) 'do not try to grap my gun' ...or I am going to think you wish to take it and 'erase' me! and ii) I do not think I can win a fight with you unless I shoot you...so just immediately run the other way so I can immediately assume I can hobble safely home... iii) really do not wish to have to guess your intentions...or I just may take the...to me...safest option i.e. shoot your r@#$$$ and we just do not want that...
    Last edited by Karl; August 3, 2013, 01:30 PM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

A good time to stand your ground.

A few months before the Travon matter,in Florida,a woman fired one shot in a wall to deter her abusive boyfriend from hurting her. She was convicted and is now serving time.If one identifies with Trayvon it becomes obvious Travon must have thought the Zimmer fellow was either a sexual deviant or a dangerous racist,either way he must have felt his safety was threatened,hence a confrontation with his stalker was a fight for his life.

Comment

I realize this case wasn't Stand Your Ground but the "stand your ground" law, if that' what it is called, seems pretty confusing and almost arbitrary. The legal experts know when it applies, but the average citizen who might think he understands it can get screwed if he thinks he's getting into a situation where the SYG applies... maybe this is why Dooley armed himself.

On another note there may also have been a history of bad blood between them as they were neighbours I gather... that was probably not allowed into the testimonies.
        Peter R

Comment

first of all he shouldn't have gotten his gun...there was no threat...he told the kid no skateboarding and the deceased responded that there is no sign saying no skateboarding...so you go and get your gun? secondly he shouldn't have drawn his gun...again there was no threat...you can't go around drawing your gun at people then when they try and disarm you you shoot them...looks like you form your opinions based on skin colour...

Comment

I agree with you up to the point of the "try to disarm you". If what he had done was flash the gun, the deceased should have backed off at that point. Struggling over a gun cannot have a happy outcome, as demonstrated in this case.

Dooley IMO in some respects is NO DIFFERENT than Zimmerman in some respects. Zimmerman was being vigilant because of what he claimed was an increase in criminal activity in his neighbourhood; Dooley, (and this is my assumption and inference) was carrying baggage with respect to his neighbour and with kids (people) disturbing his peace. This does not justify the gun thing but we are talking about America where any Tom Dick or Harry can pack a weapon no matter how unstable or "highly strung" they are.

Either way, the bottom line problem with these situations is the liberal gun laws in America.

In America they want to arm teachers now?! Crazy!!!
            Peter R

Comment

Zimmerman?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                first of all he shouldn't have gotten his gun...there was no threat...he told the kid no skateboarding and the deceased responded that there is no sign saying no skateboarding...so you go and get your gun? secondly he shouldn't have drawn his gun...again there was no threat...you can't go around drawing your gun at people then when they try and disarm you you shoot them...looks like you form your opinions based on skin colour...
                So why did Zimmerman get away? Martin's girl friend said an older voice said what are you doing around here and Martin' yelled get off me. It seems to me that Zimmerman started the confrontation , started the fight then pulled his gun, he claim that Martin try to disarm him so he shot Martin. Skin color don't count?
                The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Revisit your 'facts'...she didn't say that Trayvon said 'get off me'...different scenarios...no eyewitnesses to key events...no evidence to suggest that Zimmerman went to get his gun before he went to see where Trayvon went...no evidence to suggest that Zimmerman pulled his gun before he thought his life was in danger...witnesses corroborated his story that Trayvon was on top hitting his head into the sidewalk...

Comment

The scrapes on Zimmerman head are consistent with what you would expect to see from rolling around on concrete during a fight,it would be far more severe if someone was smashing his head against concrete. The verdict was seen differently along racial lines.It is possible when a white person(even a black..)see a fight between a black man and brown man it is assumed the black man is the aggressor.Of importance is what led to the fight.

Comment

I missed it, Peter?

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                      I agree with you up to the point of the "try to disarm you". If what he had done was flash the gun, the deceased should have backed off at that point. Struggling over a gun cannot have a happy outcome, as demonstrated in this case.

Dooley IMO in some respects is NO DIFFERENT than Zimmerman in some respects. Zimmerman was being vigilant because of what he claimed was an increase in criminal activity in his neighbourhood; Dooley, (and this is my assumption and inference) was carrying baggage with respect to his neighbour and with kids (people) disturbing his peace. This does not justify the gun thing but we are talking about America where any Tom Dick or Harry can pack a weapon no matter how unstable or "highly strung" they are.

Either way, the bottom line problem with these situations is the liberal gun laws in America.

In America they want to arm teachers now?! Crazy!!!
                      Could please explain the similarity with the Zimmermann situation?

I thought Trayvon Martin ran for his life as Zimmermann hunted down Trayvon Martin and succeeded in killing Trayvon Martin, his prey?
                      ...opposed to this circumstance where a man flashes a gun another jumped on him and tried to take the gun and failed?
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                        Revisit your 'facts'...she didn't say that Trayvon said 'get off me'...different scenarios...no eyewitnesses to key events...no evidence to suggest that Zimmerman went to get his gun before he went to see where Trayvon went...no evidence to suggest that Zimmerman pulled his gun before he thought his life was in danger...witnesses corroborated his story that Trayvon was on top hitting his head into the sidewalk...
                        ok she said he he said 'get off.' She also said it long before the trial therefor I don't believe that she was coached by a lawyer to say it. Looks like Zimmerman was on top before Martin got the better of him and that would explain why some witnesses saw Zimmerman on top and the some saw Martin on top.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...y-altercation/
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X