Court releases INDECOM on Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court releases INDECOM on Police

The Constitutional Court has ruled that the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) has the power under common law as well as the INDECOM Act to arrest members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force.

The application questioning INDECOM’s powers was brought by several police groups including the Jamaica Police Federation, the Police Officers’ Association and the United District Constable’s Association against INDECOM, the Attorney General’s Department and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The application was filed after INDECOM investigators arrested and charged corporal Malica Reid with the murder of Negril businessman Frederick ‘Mickey’ Hill in November 2010.

In their ruling handed down today, Justices Horace Marsh, Lennox Campbell and David Fraser said: “The powers of the INDECOM Commissioner and his investigators in no way dilute the DPP’s constitutional authority to continue, takeover or discontinue any prosecution.”

They also said there is no requirement for prior ruling by the DPP before members of the police force can be arrested and charged by INDECOM and its investigators.

INDECOM was established by the Parliament in 2010 to investigate allegations of misconduct by members of the security forces
    The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

It just seems the power to prosecute is inevitable.INDECOM very existence has everything to do with a serious void,and that discrepancy goes all the way up the judicial system.

Comment

I'm ecstatic over the ruling!

Gwaan Q!

Best news out of Jamaica in weeks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

let us hope our parliament don't take away the rights. I already hear some saying That INDECOM have too much powers.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X