Re: Tobacco Use and Citizens' Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tobacco Use and Citizens' Rights

‘Sass: I’m borrowing your subject line and using it in this thread. I don’t want to hijack your post. What the powers that be need to place primary focus on, they are not!! Right now I am so ****ed that I am not even prepared to provide my customary story link.

Children To Get Therapy After Witnessing Murder At Church - 5-Y-O Girl Shot Twice, Hospitalised
    Published: Tuesday | July 30, 2013

Members of the Victim Support Unit will be heading to a section of Bull Bay, St Andrew, later today to offer counselling to children who witnessed a brazen daylight murder while attending Bible school.

The altar did not save the man, Chad Telfer, from the deadly attack. A five-year-old girl who was also shot and injured during the incident is currently in hospital.

The Gleaner understands that the children were attending Vacation Bible School at the Church of God of Prophecy, when gunmen chased and shot a man who sought refuge on the church compound.

The shooting took place some minutes after noon when the children were on their lunch break, according to pastor at the church, Conrad Atkinson.

Body Found, Vanished Priest Feared Dead
    Published: Tuesday | July 30, 2013

Martin Baxter, Gleaner Writer

Catholic priest Father Charles Brown devoted his spare time to nurturing young people in the community, even though he was retired. But he was a no-nonsense man who knew danger and how to avoid it. He knew how to deal with people.

That's how Father Thomas Dynetius, with whom the priest had a close working relationship, describes him. Although the worst is feared, it has yet to be confirmed that the body found in Plantation Heights, St Andrew, is that of Brown, who disappeared on July 24.

Police yesterday cordoned off an area not far from where an abandoned motor vehicle belonging to the missing clergyman was found, following the discovery of the decomposing body in bushes to the side of a main road leading from Mandela Highway in St Andrew to the community of Plantation Heights.

The 71-year-old was last seen conducting Mass at the Christ the Redeemer Human Resource Centre in Seaview Gardens in St Andrew, a community with which he had developed an intimate attachment over the past three months.

"He's a very generous man in terms of giving his time, talent, pleasure to the people, very compassionate, very down to earth and real. So if there are people in need, he will actively try to help them out," said Dynetius.

The only two sensible responses to the thread to which you refer, came from Islandman and TopBrick.

Others skirted away. Some citing that 'slavery' is partly responsible for some of our behaviour......

I am of the opinion that 70-80% of of Black people's problem is TOTALLY withing our control. We can solve our state of affair!!

I think it was Don1 who posted a thread (in response to the Zimmerman murder)...about the high Black on Black crime and murder rate in Chicago. The role of "OTHERS" in our destruction is extermely minimal in the scheme of things.

I hope you are doing well Historical One!!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

And the other 20/30?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I was suspicious regarding the timing of those black on black crime articles that suddenly came to prominence(only)after the Trayvon matter sparked a concerted a effort by the disenfrachised.Also,isn't such a concerted effort ideal...ergo an auspicious beginning to addressing the black on black crimes?I think the intent of those bruited articles is to desensitize the killing of Trayvon.If that is the case,those readers that somehow think one should not be too concerned about the Trayvon matter are reacting exactly how the button pushers hoped.Duped comes to mind.

Comment

The problem is that most of us will talk about the Trayvon case, maybe go to a protest or two, and that will be it.

That kind of minimal investment in time and effort will change nothing. The revolution required for real change will not be on cable TV. It will be in the communities and blocks, and in the hills and valleys, doing things that are not breaking news stories.

We love the video light too much. Little wonder that spend so much of the little we have on hair, clothes, jewellery and rims.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            And the other 20/30?
            Hmmmm...20/30...rather large looking at it.

I think I should revise those figures to even less. 5/10% maybe?

And that 5-10% should not be our main concern--since it is not within our relm.

One should never worry about things beyond their control. It is someone elses' problem.

HL

Comment

Morning HL. Looks like you plan to ruffle some feathers today?
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                Morning HL. Looks like you plan to ruffle some feathers today?
                A very good morning to you to I-MAN.

All I have to say is that I like what you said.

Here:

QUOTE: "That kind of minimal investment in time and effort will change nothing. The revolution required for real change will not be on cable TV. It will be in the communities and blocks, and in the hills and valleys, doing things that are not breaking news stories".

HL

Comment

Working...
                X