• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian Benitez dies

29 July 2013 Last updated at 13:45 GMT
    Share this page

Christian Benitez: Former Birmingham striker dies aged 27

Former Birmingham striker Christian Benitez has died at the age of 27.
    The Ecuador international, who had just joined Qatari side El Jaish Sports Club, spent the 2009-10 season on loan at St Andrew's from Mexican side Santos Laguna.
    Benitez, son of Ermen Benitez, one of Ecuador's all-time leading goalscorers, won 58 caps for his country.
    He returned to Santos Laguna in 2010 after Birmingham opted against a permanent deal for him.
    El Jaish, who signed Benitez on 6 July, confirmed the news but the official cause of his death is unclear.
    Their statement said: "The club would like to offer its sincere condolences to the family of the player.
    "Benitez had recently joined the club from Club America for three seasons. The player participated for the first time with the team during yesterday's match against Qatar Sports Club in the Sheikh Jassem Cup without complaining of any health problems.
    "His sudden departure is a big shock for each member of the technical and administrative staff. He was a player that over the short period he was here was regarded for his high moral character."
    Birmingham will mark the player's death ahead of Saturday's Championship match against Watford at St Andrew's.
    Benitez's former Birmingham team-mate Craig Gardner, now at Sunderland, tweeted: "Cannot believe Christian Benitez has died.
    "I had the pleasure to play with him. He was a top bloke. My thoughts go out to his family."
    Benitez, also known as 'Chucho', scored four goals in 36 appearances during his time in England and came to prominence during the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
    He left Santos Laguna for Club America, another Mexican side, in 2011.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Wow, I remember him. I wonder what's the cause.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X