Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three arrested for smoking at Sumfest

Janet Silvera, Senior Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:Three smokers who ignored reminders by the police were arrested during last Thursday Dancehall Night at Reggae Sumfest 2013.

Several other smokers were let off with a reminder by the cops that the new smoking ban makes it illegal to smoke at events such as the music festival held in Montego Bay, St James.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Warren Clarke said the three smokers were among 30 persons arrested as some of the dancehall's finest entertainers performed.

According to Clarke, the three smokers were repeatedly warned, but chose to defy the instructions given by the security personnel.

Their arrest follows the implementation of the smoking ban by the Ministry of Health, which took effect July 15.

According to Summerfest Production's security manager, Robin Russell, no-smoking signs were erected throughout the venue, and although on Thursday several persons had to be cautioned, by the first International Night on Friday, most of the patrons were aware that the police meant business.

He pointed out that the rules did not go down well with smokers attending the festival, particularly those who have supported it over the years.

"The smokers felt they had lost. They are accustomed to coming to Reggae Sumfest and being able to smoke, and now felt the rules were draconian."

According to Russell, even non-smokers who are happy for the ban were of the opinion that an open-air event such as Reggae Sumfest should not have been affected so severely.

Gone too Far

Media producer Damali Kai Little-White Lorenz, a patron at the festival, agreed with Russell, stating that in bringing Jamaica in line with international norms of smoking regulations, the Government may have gone too far and should consider the backlash of abrupt implementation.

"The economic fall-off locally, and impact on tourists not used to these more restrictive tobacco regulations, could lead to a review of the ban," she argued.

Little-White went further questioning why tobacco, which is still being sold in pharmacies throughout the country, carries harsher fine than the illegal marijuana.

"The ban, as perceived by the public, is more restrictive than what is in place in countries with existing smoking bans for 10-plus years," she argued.

Under the new law, persons who breach the regulations governing the ban on smoking in public spaces can be fined up to $500,000 or spend six months in prison for their actions.

janet.silvera@gleanerjm.com
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

There must be some level of reason involved here...this really seems draconian an idiotic. I can understand in public buildings, parks, hospitals, etc. but we allow ganja smoke at Reggae shows, football etc...so who's fooling who?

Comment

Madness,makes you wonder.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Zero tolerance for bad wud and cigarette!

Murder , rape and corruption, well those are a different story.

We nuh easy at all!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
          Zero tolerance for bad wud and cigarette!

Murder , rape and corruption, well those are a different story.

We nuh easy at all!
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Maybe we need to start with the"ordinary" things?
            Peter R

Comment

Well the way them going about it, it is not going to work. They have to define public spaces and there are certain business that the lack of clarity or the harshness of the law is affecting badly. The economic impact must be taken in consideration. One example is that Jamaica is a country which depend on tourism and many in the trade do not understand it or think it will badly affect their business. So too does many bar owners.

While the minister mean't well and a good law is overdue but it should also be debated in parliament. Why not debate it? and have hearings on it? The opposition, interest groups, and the back benchers could have pointed out a few problems with the law. Now not even a week after implementation it is back to the drawing board.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Debating is a total waste of time..,,just find out where it was implemented, how it worked and why....sometimes commonsense is just not so common...

Comment

debating is not a waste of time. People put thing on the table that you don't think about sometimes and it is obvious the minister of health didn't think about many things and implementation. Can't believe you think debating is a waste of time especially with a law like this.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

What is to be debated? The only thing is implementation and common sense in doing so. If the law says smoking in a public place is illegal, and signs are posted and a person is warned several times by the security personnel that they are violating the law, then I don't see why people here are outraged! The way I see it going down is:

Security: Ey, sar, yuh cyaan smoke yah suh eno!
                    Smoker: Who seh suh, (kisteet), wha mejk yu nuh guh fin' suppm fi duh a lef peeple alone...
                    Security: Ah who yuh a talk to suh? Min mi call police fi yuh!
                    Smoker (taking a draw on cigarette): Call dem ef yu bad nuh! cho!

Of course, police turn up and arrest smoker.

That is just my own take on the situation and a little tongue in cheek. If it did go along that kind of confrontational line it clearly points to the need for the approach security need to take which is one of professionalism. You will get the person who will want to flout the law and carry on with the behaviour (smoking) as they were always accustomed to... the onus is on the security/police to exercise caution, respect and even compassion when dealing with people who (misguidedly IMO) see a fundamental right being violated.

Me, I say, arrest them if they don't want to comply with a law enacted for the good of the collective. Even in an outdoor scene a man smoking next to you is an irritation and a DANGEROUS HEALTH HAZARD!
                    Peter R

Comment

Peter-R when that law was implemented in TT sm years ago, there was never any kind of this stupidness...a few hiccups but by and large it was welcomed..especially by us non-smokers...now people go outside and smoke or don't smoke at all...
                      In any event my house and car were always Non Smoking venues....people just need to be reasonable...both sides.
                      Locking up a man though for 6 mths with hardened criminals because of a nicotine addiction is kinda draconian....

Comment

Well, isn't that why we rate Rudolph Giuliani? He said take care of the minor things and the major crimes will be automatically addressed.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Debating is a waste of time. Even the protesting KD Knight would have supported it because he would not want to violate the collective responsibility rule.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with the law. Two sports teams had successfully banned smoking from their stadia last season. If you know Jamaica's football, some man come there just to chain smoke spliffs. They drive away hundreds more who can't stand it.

The three arrested were warned repeatedly. What's their problem?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree! I wish KD would lead a protest and pull his pipe in a non smoking area and get arrested!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's not draconian! No one saying he can't smoke, just know where to! It's draconian if he wants it to be!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X