• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheats and a teen mother

Cheats and a teen mother

Published: Monday | July 22, 2013

Powell

The Soloist, Contributor

Local sporting authorities are knotting themselves into pretzels to defend local athletes who have tested positive for banned substances ... and during a competition at that! I have a very soft spot in my heart for Asafa; I love him as much as it's possible to love someone with whom I have no blood or emotional ties. But if he is doping up, he must face the music!

You see, you can't take an entire country to such dizzying heights only to drop us all with one big buff. I take my loyalty to country and countrymen very seriously. I hurt very deeply when Jamaica's good name is dragged in the mud ... no matter who does it. I am particularly incensed because these athletes must know by now that they ought not to trust anyone. I don't trust any human being. Everyone has a price.

My other reason for not joining the national denial club (NDC) is that I don't have any faith/trust in anything that walks upright. Anyone can be bribed ... everyone has a price. Mine is a handful of South African diamonds or US/Euro/CDN$100 million or the equivalent in priceless art or beachfront properties. Give me that and I do anything.

But I digress ... I would not be surprised to hear that top politicians, bankers, CEOs, heads of churches, respected judges, school principals, presidents of the G5 countries or even the Pope, cheated. They are human. Remember the line from the song, "The arm of flesh will fail you, ye dare not trust your own." So, I am watching with a chuckle as everyone renews their membership in the NDC.

I hasten to add that in the past when the same thing happened to athletes from the United States of America, we all rushed to judgement and pronounced them long-time cheats. This is 2013 and way past time for professional athletes to hide behind the phrase, "unknowingly took" something that was banned. They must take responsibility for what they use. They must trust no one with their food. They must read all labels with a microscope or live with the consequences.

As I continue to lick my wounds, I will always be proud of my country's athletes. Except for boxing, I have no interest in a contest if or when Jamaica is not participating. I don't have that passion for sports, but I always want my country to win. But I don't want that win to be the result of cheating.

Triplets
    Last Sunday's Gleaner carried a report about a 19-year-old young woman who gave birth to triplets. A few things horrified me in the story.
    1. She said she had ended a previous relationship because doctors had pronounced her unable to bear children and the man wanted them.

2. There was no mention of father ... in fact, she apparently refused to talk about him.

3. There was no mention of educational qualifications or job to provide the financial means to care for three children.

I immediately became angry that yet another woman had admitted three more mouths into the world without a thought for their future. Why was she so concerned about infertility at age 18! Why wasn't she more concerned about an education and economic prosperity? And as for the other parent ... it was not an immaculate conception, or in vitro fertilisation, so where is the puppa? Has he got cold feet and run - or is he married and hiding the unfortunate mistake from wifey?

Most important, where are the parents of this girl-woman? Is she going to have to depend on them to shoulder her as well as the responsibility of these three additions to the family? Remember now, it's three times the diapers, food, bedding, clothing, doctor bills, time and energy, school uniforms, books, lunch money, extra lessons, bus fares, high-school expenses, college education ... and the list goes on into the next 25 years. I hope they don't grow up to be cheating athletes.

Send comments to: lifestyle@gleanerjm.com

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ir/flair7.html
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X