Marketing Juggernauts Clash :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Historian View Post
    Now, whether you choose to believe it or not, there are people (including people I know) who have very little or no idea who Bob Marley is. This is a fact!
    Not to mention those who see Bob as a drug addled lunatic...and those people are numerous...Bolt does not have that negative stigma associated with him

Comment

How can you be sure? People like Jesse Owens, Pele, and others have become legend not only in sports and Bolt is still a young man and alive, so he could become a legend outside of sports. David Beckham is not even a legend but how many people are more marketable? Jordon stop playing basketball long time but he is still a legend.

No doubt Bob have his music and powerful words and will always be around too.

Sorry I didn't mention Ali, Foreman, Mike Tyson or Frazer
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I agree. I guess we may need to be more specific when we use the term "more famous".

If you can recognize Bob Marley songs but don't know the name of the person who sings them, what weight do we give that? There must be many people who fall in that category.

As you have said where global influence is concerned there is no contest. Where name and image recognition is concerned though, I do think Bolt is ahead today or at least has been for periods in the last 5 years.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

But even if they see him that way, they still know him though. Is that fame or infamy?

I have worked with many educated Indians coming straight from Asia to the US in the last 10-15 years. I was surprised that many of them didn't know Bob. They wanted to ask me everything about the great WI cricket teams of the past, but had heard very little if anything about Marley. It was strange. Europeans and Africans, Marley is the first thing they ask you about.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
            Wow, Don 1 we are more alike everyday, definitely flavor of the day! He will be forgotten very quickly outside of track and field, his legacy may be pinned to the idea of being the worlds greatest athlete of all time, the name and the image also will be of immense help in the long term, but compared to Bob, flavor of the day.
            Flavor tuh di Whirl!!!
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

but there is also so many Indians who didn't know Jamaica was a part of the West Indies. LOL
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well Stated, 'Sass!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                How can you be sure? People like Jesse Owens, Pele, and others have become legend not only in sports and Bolt is still a young man and alive, so he could become a legend outside of sports. David Beckham is not even a legend but how many people are more marketable? Jordon stop playing basketball long time but he is still a legend.

No doubt Bob have his music and powerful words and will always be around too.

Sorry I didn't mention Ali, Foreman, Mike Tyson or Frazer
                Respect, ‘Sass! Both you and Islandman, in my honest opinion, have done a better job in this thread than I have! I tend to type long explanatory sentences and paragraphs, but both of you gentlemen have made strong, succinctly supported statements using just a few words!

Much respect again!

Don1 and Stoni are clearly ecstatic, but they really have a lot to learn! In Don1’s case while he endeavored to “trod through the hills and valleys of (his so-called) Babylon” and in so doing he met “some of the most sophisticated persons on the planet,” he was missing something else! While he chatted with middle-aged and elderly people in “Babylon,” did he equally socialize with today’s generation in “Babylon,” and equally important, with young and old in nations such as India, China, Russia?

Don1, I want to refer you to Islandman’s post and his point #2 once again. Stoni, you may also do the same.

Comment

End of Discussion!!

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
                  Bob kinda boil down now...
                  Brickie, you have ended this discussion as succinctly and sensibly as anyone ever could, using five simple words! The fact is that Bob died in 1981 and his heyday was in the 1970s (a period when his message was MOST relevant), and no amount of resurrection is going to change this reality!

Time for Jamaica to find another superstar!!

End of discussion in this thread!!

Comment

Historian, for one who is usually a bit more rational especially when it comes to music and culture, it appears your conclusions are based more some personal issue rather than the pure facts.

Bob's music will ALWAYS be relevant, once there is tribalism, once there is distrust, once there is exploitation, once there is reason, once there is love.......yes, Bob has died but his music, his message and his songs will LIVE forever. Selah.

Comment

Mi nuh affi refer mi tuh nuh guy post... evvybady entikle tuh fi dem opinion....even yuh

Also Histy don't presume to know that of which I speak. Your comprehension of my worldview is misguided.... as is your puerile attempt to belittle it with the overblown rubbish you posted above.

If you wish to try to reproduce my view for the sake of argument...rather than misrepresent it as you've done..it's better to ask kindly for an explanation... you may well be granted that favor.

Now go forth and sin no more.
                      Last edited by Don1; July 26, 2013, 08:16 PM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

The guy has no discernment.... probably needs to get out more.

Life in the Bahamas is quite limited I hear.... lack of stimulus makes for rapid brain cell death

Comment

I see you need to take your own advice. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            I see you need to take your own advice. LOL
                            You were always rather short sighted

Comment

Bolt compared to Bob disregarded to boil down now..lol...says alot about anyone to make such a judgement,Bob was/is revolution ,Bolt is babylon epitome of exploitation , typical multimillion dollar african athlethe because he is jamaica 1st ,some believe he is to be compared to Bob ?

The third world 1st revolutionary rock star, cant see Africans going into a battle with Usain Bolt picture or songs of revolution.

Bwoooy mi nuh know ..Bob boil down ?...any man mek such a proposition need a shrink.

Bob still hold im ratings a babylon over bolt , nuh everybody duh track and field , btw more people bun dem weed.
                              THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

yuhzimi

Comment

Working...
                                X