The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Absolutely Beautiful Stuff!

Originally posted by HL View Post
    Kermit Ruffins?

Thanks.

Here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONj71U9VKOw
    HL, “Good Morning New Orleans” is a delightful piece of work. In fact, when it ended I briefly thought to myself that it was too short. I love it!

I have never heard of Kermit Ruffins before, but I’m going to check out some of his other stuff later. His trumpet playing is very clean and uncluttered, and this quartet of musicians is swinging! The pianist selects his chords and single notes tastefully and sparingly while the drummer and stand-up bass player swing in the best tradition of the style.

Ruffins’ singing and scatting sounds like a cross midway between Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong and the rock singer David Lee Roth (formerly lead singer with Van Halen)! The song itself is simple a simple, sentimental piece, but it is the type of stuff anybody -- not just jazz enthusiasts -- can listen to and enjoy.

I have always preferred swing to be-bop, and this record reminds me why.

Thanks very much for posting this gem!

Comment

David Lee Roth

HL, just so you understand why I stated that Kermit Ruffins’ voice sounded like a cross between jazz singer Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong and rocker David Lee Roth (former lead singer with super group Van Halen), when you have time check out this video by Roth (“Just a Gigolo”):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrlKrty1vQ

I’m not sure if you will agree (lol).

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      HL, “Good Morning New Orleans” is a delightful piece of work. In fact, when it ended I briefly thought to myself that it was too short. I love it!

I have never heard of Kermit Ruffins before, but I’m going to check out some of his other stuff later. His trumpet playing is very clean and uncluttered, and this quartet of musicians is swinging! The pianist selects his chords and single notes tastefully and sparingly while the drummer and stand-up bass player swing in the best tradition of the style.

Ruffins’ singing and scatting sounds like a cross midway between Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong and the rock singer David Lee Roth (formerly lead singer with Van Halen)! The song itself is simple a simple, sentimental piece, but it is the type of stuff anybody -- not just jazz enthusiasts -- can listen to and enjoy.

I have always preferred swing to be-bop, and this record reminds me why.

Thanks very much for posting this gem!

Comment

I have a few of his albums on my ipod.

PLEASE checkout Ruffins CD called: "We Partyin' Traditional Style by Kermit Ruffins. It was Just released this year.

You are going to LOVE it!!!

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          HL, just so you understand why I stated that Kermit Ruffins’ voice sounded like a cross between jazz singer Louis “Satchmo” Armstrong and rocker David Lee Roth (former lead singer with super group Van Halen), when you have time check out this video by Roth (“Just a Gigolo”):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TrlKrty1vQ

I’m not sure if you will agree (lol).

Histi: you are perfectly correct. Satchmo was just one of the influence on Ruffin.

David Lee Roth reminds me of Michael Bolton. You just don't associate such fine vocals coming out of those 'bodies'.. it just goes to show...

HL

Comment

I Will

Originally posted by HL View Post
            I have a few of his albums on my ipod.

PLEASE checkout Ruffins CD called: "We Partyin' Traditional Style by Kermit Ruffins. It was Just released this year.

You are going to LOVE it!!!
            And I promise you that I will check out that CD online before today is done.

Comment

Working...
            X