• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University no longer about the enlightened

University no longer about the enlightened

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Dear Editor,

I have spent one year at university already — a year that flew past very quickly. While there I have made some interesting observations and now I am left to wonder at the 'intelligent' people that attend these halls of learning.

I have said to some acquaintances, that if a degree did not have any weight in the world many of these persons would not attend university

Yes, it is to be more competitive worldwide and elevate one's learning. But what are they elevating? As one increases in age and education, the inclination should be towards the finer points in life. The choice of clothing, music and companions should reflect on a person.

I do concede that people are creatures of habit, which over time evolve into specific character traits and the environment plays a part in this process.

But once a person submits, for example to playing loud, derogatory and lewd music, while walking on campus, from a device audible to all, is not reflective of a change of thinking. The clothing, or absence thereof, in some of these classrooms forces one to wonder what actually goes on in the students' mind, especially females. Do they think they are at home? And the outrageous make-up jobs, nails and hairstyle on persons who are not fully employed or found some questionable means to fund these beauty regimes. I sure hope they do well in their studies nonetheless — or not, just a thought.

The unprintables that are emitted from persons training their minds to become employable professionals are very distasteful. Quite nonchalantly these words have been shouted in ecstasy, anger, enjoyment and tirades against 'the eediat lecturers who don't know nothing' over a 'bad' grade. Some of these persons do it for fun.

I do not want it to be said that this is objective; as there are always complete opposites and anomalies to these facts of which I am proud to be. Maybe I have maladjusted to the environment. Or my world view is different from the reality that exists. However it remains that the prestige that surrounds the university level now seems diminished. Not from mistakes or changes in policies, but from the 'intelligent' academics.

Colette Campbell
    rastarjamaica@yahoo.com
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/pfversion/University-no-longer-about-the-enlightened_14735464#ixzz2ZyAbm3Cg
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X